Rain Tuesday But Still Plenty of Scoops

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

By Scoop Malinowski

Rain was not forecast but it just about decimated day two of the 2017 US Open where only eight matches completed with five on the enclosed Ashe Stadium.

Rafael Nadal again struggled to terminate Dusan Lajovic, falling behind early 35 and then double faulting a key point to lose serve late in the first set but he eventually settled and dismissed Lajovic 76 62 62.

Nadal is sporting a bright pink shirt, head band and shoes (with white shorts) which called to mind the uproar the first pink shirt caused at the US Open about a decade ago when Dominik Hrbaty sported a pink Lotto top. Remember Lleyton Hewitt’s post-match comment after defeating Hrbaty: “I just kept telling myself, ‘You can’t lose to a bloke wearing a pink shirt.”

But pink is now an acceptable ATP color, especially since Roger Federer has worn it on a number of occasions through his career.

Another very good, funny player in press conferences back in the old days was Thomas Muster, who once was asked towards the end of his career what was the difference between him now and early in his career and he stated: “Now I have less hair and a bigger bank account.”

No players today engage in any fun or show much humor during press conferences. I spoke with former Indian star Anand Armritraj and he noted this grim truth when asked who the funniest players he’s encountered: “Nastase. Bahrami. Henri Leconte. Quite a few funny guys who are very entertaining. Unlike now [big laugh].”

Anand lives in LA now and was here with his wife Helen. Anand said he helped lead India to two Davis Cup finals in 1974 and 1987 and his best win was in Newport against John McEnroe right after McEnroe made the semis at Wimbledon as a qualifier.

I asked Jan Michael Gambill about his player Jared Donaldson’s outstanding success this year, reaching the ATP top 50 with steady, consistent results at age 20.

“He listens. He’s willing to put faith in the team that he has around him. He’s worked hard on his serve, groundstrokes, fitness, movement, his flexibility. He’s very focused on his tennis. He wants to be a top 20 player, maybe even further. He’s not afraid of anybody on the court which I think is also a big thing. He’s gonna go out and give it his all every single match. He never gives up. I’ve never seen him give up yet. If we’re talking about something that would irritate or disappoint me, as a coach, that would be one of them – a guy who goes out and tanks, gives up. I have no respect for that. And I won’t stand for that as a coach. But that doesn’t ever come into play, it’s not an issue with Jared, it’s never even been approached…He’s had some unbelievable matches in Cincinnati and Montreal. I felt like (Monday’s) match (vs Basilashvili) was incredible. Talking about his movement and being able to move dynamically around the court and hit balls out of the corners – he seems to get better every match. So I think his best match is still out there.”

I spoke with the rising young 22-year-old Indian Ramkumar Ramanathan about his beating Thiem 63 62 on grass this summer in Antalya, Turkey. “That was a proud feeling for me. I had nothing to lose. All my friends, my coach (Emilio Sanchez) were saying, You always have a chance on grass and you play well. For that I have to thank my coach who have been working with me and giving me the confidence. I think I’m there. I just have to keep working hard and the future will be hopefully good.” (Double R lost his next match after Thiem 76 in the third against Baghdatis.)

Ramanathan lost in three sets here in qualies in the second round to the still lethal Nicolas Mahut. He beat Eubanks and Lajovic in Cincy. Beat Paul and Aragone in Winnetka Challenger before losing in the final to Santillan. Ramanathan is 7-4 in ATP matches this year and ranked 155 in the world.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Also saw that guy who is in Ballers on HBO get asked to take a photo by Blaz Kavcic outside by media center. Looks like Forrest Whitaker.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
There's too much money, pressure and EGO at stake these days for guys to show much sense of humor in press conferences - unless it's AFTER they win the tourney. Andy Roddick is the last guy I can think of who was quick with a quip - win or lose - and when told that his press conference had been better than his playing after getting trounced by Federer at the AO in 2007 said, "My performance here is better than on court? No sh@#. If there were rankings for press conferences I wouldn't have to worry about dropping out of the top 5 I hope."

You could always count on Roddick to say something funny...like Djokovic retired in another match after a string of retirements and Roddick asked if he had SARS (which was a big epidemic at the time). Marat Safin could come up with some gems, too.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Shapovalov can win the tournament. Coric's whole career just changed tonight. Beating Zverev was a career changing win. Coric has been quiet for two years and this one was really needed. A few other players need what Coric did tonight - namely Sock, Dimitrov, Chung, Tomic, Dolgopolov, Keys, Stephens, Bouchard...

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

A coach was telling me Coric recently revised his forehand and smoothed out the elbow loop on his take back. I think Zverev assumed he has the win in the bag before the match started. Like Agassi always said, You can't mail in the win you have to earn it. Coric was in big trouble in his first round match vs Vesely, he was up 5-0 in the first set tiebreak and then lost five points in a row but he locked in and won a long rally vs Jiri by dictating him side to side and finally finishing with a forehand winner. Coric has been on a roll ever since losing those five points in a row.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Anderson looks dominant. And super intense. Even against Aragone he was locked in in the first games, silent intense fist pumps. Kandyman is feeling it and believing in himself and is going all in on bringing home the big prize I sense. Note the super intensity of Anderson when you watch him. Cilic struggled vs Sandgren but the way Sandgren is playing everyone will struggle with that lion, he's playing superb. And watch out for Fritz who is now officially back on track. Dominant performance vs Bagdhatis.