Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, Stuttgart Open 2018, WTA Premier

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I’m surprised Garcia was finally able to beat her on her fifth attempt. On to the next wildcard for MS.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not sure what all Maria has been doing in Stuttgart, but practicing her serve seems to have been on her itinerary !
I cannot recall the last time Sharapova served 16 Aces, 8 DF's yes, but not 16 Aces. She was slamming it out there today as was Garcia.
Last time Maria served 16 aces was probably Aus Open 16 before her suspension. She served pretty well that tournament before running into Serena. You have to remember she is back w/ Hogstedt now and I always felt he was very mechanical with her game.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Woaaa, Vondrousova takes out Goerges, 6-2, 6-2, I really didn't see that one coming. Congratulations to Marketa ! Julia must have needed a break.
She's ready to go somewhere w/ those 1 million miles she won. B-)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Baron @britbox ,
This is a nice picture, but I got 2 questions:
upload_2018-4-24_18-37-48.png

1. Who is that standing between Simona & Angie?
2. How can they include Keys & Osta in this mural and not include Sloane (a top 10 slam winner)?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tuesday Results:

Laura Siegemund (GER) beat Barbora Strycova (CZE) 6-4 6-3
Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) beat Julia Goerges (GER) 6-2 6-2
Marta Kostyuk (UKR) beat Antonia Lottner (GER) 6-4 6-1
6-Caroline Garcia (FRA) beat Maria Sharapova (RUS) 3-6 7-6(6) 6-4
5-Karolina Pliskova (CZE) beat Kiki Bertens (NED) 6-2 6-2

Laura Siegemund (GER) beat Barbora Strycova (CZE) 6-4 6-3

Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) beat Julia Goerges (GER) 6-2 6-2

5-Karolina Pliskova (CZE) beat Kiki Bertens (NED) 6-2 6-2

6-Caroline Garcia (FRA) beat Maria Sharapova (RUS) 3-6 7-6(6) 6-4

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Baron, how can Sharapova be playing Vinci if she was knocked out yesterday by Garcia?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wednesday Round Up from Stuttgart

1st Round
Coco Vandeweghe (USA) beat 7-Sloane Stephens (USA) 6-1 6-0
Veronika Kudermetova (RUS) beat Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) 7-6(5) 6-2
Zarina Diyas (KAZ) beat Carina Witthoeft (GER) 6-3 6-2
Angelique Kerber (GER) beat 8-Petra Kvitova (CZE) 6-3 6-2
Anett Kontaveit (EST) beat Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) 5-7 7-6(3) 7-6(5)
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova beat Madison Keys (USA) 7-6(7) 5-7 6-4

2nd Round
1-Simona Halep (ROU) beat Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK) 4-6 6-2 6-3

Highlights:

Coco Vandeweghe (USA) beat 7-Sloane Stephens (USA) 6-1 6-0

Anett Kontaveit (EST) beat Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) 5-7 7-6(3) 7-6(5)

Angelique Kerber (GER) beat 8-Petra Kvitova (CZE) 6-3 6-2

1-Simona Halep (ROU) beat Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK) 4-6 6-2 6-3

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't know what to say about Sloane Stephens performance. She won the first game and then lost twelve on the spin. I've only watched the highlights but she looked passive, inconsistent and totally disinterested. Pretty lame effort.

Angie beats Petra... what a difference a few days makes. Petra should start wearing the Czech top on the main tour, she's a totally different animal when she's playing for the flag,

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Can't believe Kiki lost that. When I glanced at work she was serving for the match in the decider. I had to go into a meeting and didn't check the scores when I came back. Just assumed she had closed it out. Sloane is so up and down I think she might be bipolar. If she's going to lose, don't lose to Coco Puffs the ballbasher on clay. :nono:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the tourney in which Maria staged her comeback from the ban last year. I was thinking she would go little further this year. Nope. Now unless she proves otherwise, most will attribute the 4 GSs to Meldonium.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is the tourney in which Maria staged her comeback from the ban last year. I was thinking she would go little further this year. Nope. Now unless she proves otherwise, most will attribute the 4 GSs to Meldonium.

Meldonium was legal when she won the majors, so doesn't really matter either way... and countless other players were probably taking it also.

Not sure if you watched the Garcia match. Sharapova played well... it could have gone either way. Garcia was seeded six coming in, no disgrace considering Sharapova hasn't played a competitive match since Noah launched the Ark.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thursday Results Round-Up

Coco Vandeweghe (USA) beat Laura Siegemund (GER) 6-4 4-6 6-3
3-Elina Svitolina (UKR) beat Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) 2-6 6-1 (Retired)
6-Caroline Garcia (FRA) beat Marta Kostyuk (UKR) 6-1 3-6 7-5
5-Karolina Pliskova (CZE) beat Veronika Kudermetova (RUS) 7-6(4) 6-3
4-Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) beat Zarina Diyas (KAZ) 6-3 6-0
Anett Kontaveit (EST) beat Angelique Kerber (GER) 6-0(Retired)
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova beat 2-Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 7-5 (Retired)

Coco Vandeweghe (USA) beat Laura Siegemund (GER) 6-4 4-6 6-3

3-Elina Svitolina (UKR) beat Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) 2-6 6-1 (Retired)

Anett Kontaveit (EST) beat Angelique Kerber (GER) 6-0(Retired)

6-Caroline Garcia (FRA) beat Marta Kostyuk (UKR) 6-1 3-6 7-5

Three Retirements Today:

Kerber retired with a right thigh injury... said she's been feeling it for a few days, but got worse today.
Garbine Muguruza retired with a back injury.
Marketa Vondrousova won the first set against Svitolina before retiring (leg)

Marta Kostyuk

The 15-year-old acquitted herself well, taking Garcia the distance. Garcia's take - "She moves well and she fights"

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Order of Play - Friday

3HYZyQF.png

I'm thinking Coco's run ends today. Going for Halep. Garcia is playing well, so I'm picking her over the underappreciated Svitolina. Ostapenko over Pliskova and Kontaveit to round it off.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Meldonium was legal when she won the majors, so doesn't really matter either way... and countless other players were probably taking it also.

Not sure if you watched the Garcia match. Sharapova played well... it could have gone either way. Garcia was seeded six coming in, no disgrace considering Sharapova hasn't played a competitive match since Noah launched the Ark.

Yes, it was legal until recently. Nonetheless, people will attribute to Meldonium (which is of course highly unethical considering
the details we know now, despite it being legal at one time). Also, her age clock is ticking too. There was a nice window for her
to win something due to Serena being out of action for almost an year due to childbirth. However, Meldopova was not quick
enough to cash in on it. Now, by the time Meldopova comes to form, she may Serena again across the net.

No, I did not see the match. But, Caroline Garcia is a doubles player primarily and only recently trying to focus on singles
and so Masha should have won this on paper despite the seeding.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, it was legal until recently. Nonetheless, people will attribute to Meldonium (which is of course highly unethical considering
the details we know now, despite it being legal at one time). Also, her age clock is ticking too. There was a nice window for her
to win something due to Serena being out of action for almost an year due to childbirth. However, Meldopova was not quick
enough to cash in on it. Now, by the time Meldopova comes to form, she may Serena again across the net.

No, I did not see the match. But, Caroline Garcia is a doubles player primarily and only recently trying to focus on singles
and so Masha should have won this on paper despite the seeding.

I think you're selling Garcia short and bear in mind Sharapova has hardly played any tennis. I wouldn't have Maria as the favourite in any major tournament with or without Serena these days. The WTA is bunched at the top... take Serena out of the equation, there isn't a whole lot splitting about 20 players. Trying to predict anything is like crapshoot.