QUALIFIER
KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana RUS
BYE
HALEP, Simona ROU

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Yes finally a nicely stacked lineup with recognizable names. :clap
I'm thinking Petkovic with her resurgence might go deep here.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
Lots of good players here. This is anyones to win. Would love to see Halep, Kvitova or Petkovic holding the winners trophy.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
gallery_1310.jpg

Two time defending Champion retunrns for a 3rd Porsche.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Bottom half is tougher, in my opinion. Too bad JJ plays Ivanovic in round one. Would love to see Kleybanova and Petkovic doing well here.

A question for you: small, fast players with variety typically do well on clay, eg, Justine, the Italians. Why then does Aga not reach the latter stages of clay tournaments? Has the game changed in the last few years that power players such as Li, Pova are winning on clay at the expense of finesse players?

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
10sfan said:
Bottom half is tougher, in my opinion. Too bad JJ plays Ivanovic in round one. Would love to see Kleybanova and Petkovic doing well here.

A question for you: small, fast players with variety typically do well on clay, eg, Justine, the Italians. Why then does Aga not reach the latter stages of clay tournaments? Has the game changed in the last few years that power players such as Li, Pova are winning on clay at the expense of finesse players?

This is a nice question. I'm wondering whether it's because some of her finesse shots are coming in much more slowly on this slow clay court vs. faster hard court which gives her competitors a chance to get to the shots??? But I'll defer to the experts here.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think Aga has the power of shot to hit through the clay like other surfaces.I think she is better suited to HC and grass.Also the one thing I have always said with Aga is her serve??? especially her 2nd serve which is so attackable.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
rugged said:
Lots of good players here. This is anyones to win. Would love to see Halep, Kvitova or Petkovic holding the winners trophy.

When you look at Petra's outstanding indoor record you would think she would be a top contendor in Stuttgart....then we all know about Petra don't we:)

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Aga has no power, but did Justine? Errani?

I was not asking why Aga does better on HC or grass? I am asking why she does not do well on clay? Different question.

Petra plays well indoors because her game is based on timing. However, she does poorly on clay because she is too impatient.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am also interested to see Halep back on her preferred surface clay.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Schedule for Monday, April 21, 2014

Center court
13:00 [2] Annika Beck (GER) V Katerina Vankova (CZE) Q final
15:00 [3] Ajla Tomljanovic (CRO) V [5] Mona Barthel (GER) Q final
20:00 Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) V Kaia Kanepi (EST) 1st round NO TV

Court 1
12:30 Diana Marcinkevica (LAT) V Katerina Siniakova (CZE) Q final
14:30 Gioia Barbieri (ITA) V [8] Johanna Konta (GBR) Q final

The only maindraw match on CC that's NOT televised. Ok they can still change that because through the week thry havr internet streaming from Stutttgart. We'll see.

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
10sfan said:

Because her biggest asset is taken away on clay, her movement. She can't slide, so she's easy to wrong foot, which combined with not having powerful shots is not a good combination.

Those style of players only excel on clay if they actually grew up on clay. Radwanska also doesn't play with any real spin, and because her flat shots tend to lack power, they sit up more on clay for the opponent.

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Some notes on some players here.

Kerber, Petkovic, Goerges all played Fed Cup in Australia over the weekend. That's a long trip back to Europe.

Cibulkova played 3 long 3 setters in a row in Kuala Lumpur the last 3 days in tough conditions.

Various other players have played Fed Cup over the weekend, some have exerted more effort than others though, Ivanovic and Cirstea come to mind.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ozza said:
10sfan said:

Because her biggest asset is taken away on clay, her movement. She can't slide, so she's easy to wrong foot, which combined with not having powerful shots is not a good combination.

Those style of players only excel on clay if they actually grew up on clay. Radwanska also doesn't play with any real spin, and because her flat shots tend to lack power, they sit up more on clay for the opponent.
Thanks Ozza I did forget in my post regarding Aga's foot work on clay

One of the most important things on clay your ability to slide.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Caro gets first day duty.

Did anyone notice there isn't a single American in the main draw? There were 2(unfamiliar names) in the qualifying...

The Germans have Mona and Anika coming out of qualifying, there is a good chance both will make the main draw, that would add to the 4 German ladies already in there.

porsche-website-startseite-1600x615px.jpg

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Ozza, thanks for the insight.

Is it strange that the Fed Cup was played in Sochi, yet Pova did not participate? She went for the Olympics.

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Angelica Fratini ‏@angelikf
#Wta Stuttgart: Wozniacki and Cibulkova withdraw, Carolina with a left wrist injury, Dominica Achiles injuries.Konta and Barthel are the LL

Draw changes:
Kanepi vs Konta
Jankovic vs Barthel
Ivanovic vs Lisicki

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
10sfan said:

I agree, the bottom half is tougher. Hopefully the winner will be tough as nails after getting through and win it all.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
fashionista said:
rugged said:

When you look at Petra's outstanding indoor record you would think she would be a top contendor in Stuttgart....then we all know about Petra don't we:)

Yep, I keep having this hope that Petra will put it all together and be more consistent.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Hoping for quick recovery for Woz and DC.

Glad Ana avoids JJ.