Players you once hated but grew to appreciate

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was just watching a re-run of an Edberg/Lendl match and it reminded me of how much I disliked Lendl at the time... now I like him. In hindsight, his work ethic, his dry sense of humour, his prevailing when the odds were against him, his fiercely competitive nature...

Anyone else used to hate a player that they grew to like?

Reactions: shawnbm

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Lendl is a good example. Everyone sorta hated him, but of all the old school players, he's probably the one that would be most relevant if he played today. His style synergizes a lot with modern racquets, and imo he would be a very nasty matchup against some of the top players like Andy Murray or Roger Federer on the right surface.

Of course I used to be bothered a lot by players who kinda took tennis for granted and had attitude problems. So early Agassi used to bother me, but of course his game eventually won me over.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
McEnroe at 1st because of all his arguing with the umpire. "That wasn't out, it was in" & the like & throwing his tennis racquet about. I soon got to find him entertaining & appreciated how good he was though & he later became my favourite player.

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
Hey @britbox! Couldn't we go the other way round too & have a discussion about tennis players we used to love but now hate (for whatever reason)?

Reactions: Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Well, back in 2006/7 I hated Nadal, but I guess that as soon as 2010 or 11 I had already change my mind. Anyone who by chance payed attention to my posts knows that I really like him. But -- as odd as it is -- I always root against him; don't ask me how I invented a way to root against someone in a good way. Even if he is playing a player I really dislike (and, as I said, I don't dislike Nadal, much to the contrary) my natural reaction is to root for this given player against him.

One guy I really use to dislike and root heavily against was Fognini. Now I usually root for him, even if I still think he is a fucking prima donna. But the guy is an artist with the racquet on his hands and I cannot deny that.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ OK, that must be some crazy Brazilian mind-trick, Mrzz, but I'm glad you've come to like Rafa. I have noted that you defend him and are fair to him in the Fedal Wars, even though I know you're a Fed man.

I agree on Lendl, and Fognini, though F3 still makes me crazy. I used not to like Nalbandian, but, of all people, @calitennis127 made me pay attention to how much I could like his game, and him. And I've softened a bit on Hewitt.

To Ann's question, the inverse, I loved Vilas as a player, but he seems like a big jerk to me now.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
Well, back in 2006/7 I hated Nadal, but I guess that as soon as 2010 or 11 I had already change my mind. Anyone who by chance payed attention to my posts knows that I really like him. But -- as odd as it is -- I always root against him; don't ask me how I invented a way to root against someone in a good way. Even if he is playing a player I really dislike (and, as I said, I don't dislike Nadal, much to the contrary) my natural reaction is to root for this given player against him.
i actually get that. except that i never hated Rafa to begin with. from the start, i liked him - he seems like a nice guy, as much as a top competitor can be. mostly, i guess i was thankful to him because Fedal wars brought me into the sport. so that's why i can reconcile liking him with rooting against him a lot of times - i'm just used to it, given that i'd watch him against Fed (and that he'd frustrate me so often by blocking Fed's path, to grand slams and other great achievements. but without their rivalry, i'd never have become as big a Tennis and Fed fan as i am today).

i disliked Andy Roddick at the beginning. don't know why, but he seemed like such a stereotypical jock (and i never liked his style, too). but soon, i've come to love the guy, for many obvious reasons.

i really didn't like Murray, too - but that switched too. Judy not being at as many matches any more did help a lot, i must admit. also: no fan of Novak. family was a factor there, too. the whincing and whining and the sarcastic self-pity... (i love sarcasm, but loathe self-pity). plus, and this is weird: his stick-up-the-butt posture drives me crazy, mainly because i myself have a tendency to slouch and he reminds me of how bad my own posture is. but i think i can say i've come to appreciate him for the amazing competitor and wonderful player that he is.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't like Soderling at the beginning then I loved him more and more

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lendl is a good example. Everyone sorta hated him, but of all the old school players, he's probably the one that would be most relevant if he played today. His style synergizes a lot with modern racquets, and imo he would be a very nasty matchup against some of the top players like Andy Murray or Roger Federer on the right surface.

Of course I used to be bothered a lot by players who kinda took tennis for granted and had attitude problems. So early Agassi used to bother me, but of course his game eventually won me over.

Agassi never completely won me over but I did enjoy his swansong as an elder statesman of the tour. His autobiography is one of the better ones around and helped me understand his thought processes a little more.

Reactions: Moxie

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Connors by a mile. HATED him. Especially loved when my hero Ashe beat him in W 75. But by the end of his career I was Team Jimbo

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Connors by a mile. HATED him. Especially loved when my hero Ashe beat him in W 75. But by the end of his career I was Team Jimbo
Yeah, I used to hate Connors too...Wait, I still do ! But I used to too ! (RIP Mitch Hedberg)

Last edited:

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I was the opposite of most with Connors. Really liked him at the beginning and grew to dislike him intensely as his career moved onwards. Not a fan of Becker when he first emerged but I did see him play in person at the US Open and the man had charisma and I especially loved it when he beat Lendl for the championship. For this tennis fan it seems my passion and like or dislike for a player remains consistent.

Horsa

Reactions
^ OK, that must be some crazy Brazilian mind-trick, Mrzz, but I'm glad you've come to like Rafa. I have noted that you defend him and are fair to him in the Fedal Wars, even though I know you're a Fed man.

I agree on Lendl, and Fognini, though F3 still makes me crazy. I used not to like Nalbandian, but, of all people, @calitennis127 made me pay attention to how much I could like his game, and him. And I've softened a bit on Hewitt.

To Ann's question, the inverse, I loved Vilas as a player, but he seems like a big jerk to me now.
Thank you very much for the answer, Moxie. My answer is Martina Navratilova because I used to like her tennis but not since she did drugs that she didn't need. To me, other than everyday drugs like caffeine in tea & coffee & alcohol, drugs should only be used when they're needed.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thank you very much for the answer, Moxie. My answer is Martina Navratilova because I used to like her tennis but not since she did drugs that she didn't need. To me, other than everyday drugs like caffeine in tea & coffee & alcohol, drugs should only be used when they're needed.
I didn't know Martina did drugs. I do love her. I hope that's not so.

Horsa

Reactions
I didn't know Martina did drugs. I do love her. I hope that's not so.
According to what I read in the newspapers she does & saw on T.V. news. It was a while back when I read it but you might find online records of newspapers with information on.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I hated Djokovic in 2011, he stopped that was going to be a long reign at the top of tennis by nadal, did not make any sense, because he end number three, in the past three seasons. But then he won That A0 final in 2012 that was close 6 hours, I grow to like him and respect him as a tennis player.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldn't say I hated Agassi, Roddick, and Hewitt but they are players I disliked a bit yet grew to appreciate. For the hated players...the hated stay hated.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wouldn't say I hated Agassi, Roddick, and Hewitt but they are players I disliked a bit yet grew to appreciate. For the hated players...the hated stay hated.
Oh, come on, Darth...you know when it's all said and done you're going to have some affection for Rafa. Oh, um, unless he passes Roger, I guess. :popcorn

I didn't care for Roddick as a player, but he was hilarious in the press room, so I did grow an affection for him.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not going to happen. Would hate him with a passion even if he had zero slams. And we know the record is on Roger's racquet :) yet to be determined if 20 is enough.