PHILIPPINES.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
These are very informative posts about Philippines, Teddy. I guess it's true for every country that stability and easy access to showcase all the great things that it has to offer (infrastructure) are some of the most important things for prosperity. Nobody wants to go to some place that is not secure, where there are drugs and gangs and political problems. This world could be a much better place to live in for everybody.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
These are very informative posts about Philippines, Teddy. I guess it's true for every country that stability and easy access to showcase all the great things that it has to offer (infrastructure) are some of the most important things for prosperity. Nobody wants to go to some place that is not secure, where there are drugs and gangs and political problems. This world could be a much better place to live in for everybody.

exactly .
well there are the adventurous, lol .

but it's also a matter of perspective. i mean -- when we read about terrorism ONLY or crime ONLY, etc..then we think it's in EVERY Corner. but it's n ot the case.
it just means that it does and CAN happen..but what country now doesn't have that? in the best of places - cities -- the locals will still tell someone ''don't go there"...because they themselves know -- but that doesn't mean one can't go to the city- just know what to avoid.

there's this american guy -- he's been in the modeling business and has had a good career in LA - and somehow he likes the philippines so much - he started reading about it -- and had all the stereotypes and could find in the early days of google - like early 2000's very little info except a few pictures - bad images - etc - (and considering that's really BEFORE duterte where , clearly as i follow the news despite the fact that HE brings it to the TOP FRONT AND CENTER of his concerns to in fact get rid of those ills because top front center IS the onloy way to impress it on everyone rather than slide it under the rug, u know?)

then this guy visited there for a couple weeks, then returned 2 years later, , then had second thought and didn't like it from some not nice experience, then returned 2 years later and now -------- has lived there for since 2007 or something..lol...and puts up a 'VLOG'' - showing BOTH bad and good -- and why he considers himself "i love america -- i'm born american -- but this is my country too - i'm filipino because these people arewho i want to be with - i had to learn my lessons what to avoid like any filipino would -- but once i learned -- this is the country i want".

he balances his work with his modelling (like still appearing in tv shows or whatever in the USA -- but once he's done with those -- off he goes to the philippines where he also has a filipina girlfriend - and does freelance work with producing TV programs there in manila too -...but basically he says he just likes it there..and that contrary to steretotype "there is NO typical filipino at all...they're really a bewildering array of different mixes -- but all are filipino".

which - actually -- is true, lol.

we;re MONGRELS. LOL. and we like to make fun of ourselves that way, hehe. so -- the ''typical filipino" -- we sometimes joke is a ''SARI--SARI"

MONGREL. LOL.
You might have noticed -- that CNN filipina interviewing duterte (if i put the right video)
even to ME is hard to figure out precisely -- i just know she looks a bit more 'chinese/spanish/malay" to me or maybe ''indian/chinese?" or maybe ..maybe, maybe?

but then others are squat, very short , flat-faced, dark, negroid even, still another in other videos and many in their fishing town are almost like mixtures of african/american with spanish (who knows because there were black regiments in the 1900's there that went AWOL when they couldn't take anymore being ordered to kill the natives and disappeared among the natives) ..and tall and long features..

although we are OF COURSE ASIANS -- - we are much , much , much more mixed than perhaps any of the other asian countries...it's like everything all the way from greece actually -- are DNA's that have been discovered to have reached the islands in waves of migrations...

so it's NOT unusual if one looks closely that a filipino might have ''INDIAN" FEATURES. sort of rounded or almond eyes (we even used to call them ''mumbay" - from 'MUMBAI" india) - or like probably more common in the north - chinoid. etc. etc.

or THAT SCHOLAR that was explaining things about the american massacres in the south (where the american commander who started it - was re-assigned back to USA - and he returned many years later and then SIDED with the people he once massacred to protect them) - - i never could have guessed he was ''minority'' tribe blooded -- TAUSUG (close or among people in my province.) because to me he's more like ''common" - lol. so even me - i'd be confused. .lol.

but basically -- we don't really care - we know we're filipinos, asians and that's it.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for making this. i've read something about Philippines on the internet in the meantime like I promised. i will watch/read all in the thread over next couple of days. Too much information to go through all of it right now.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
oh -- i didn't ut a different interview then -- a CNN-Philippines where the filipina is very pretty of a more ''refined'' look kind of beauty - but anyway ...not really important. as there are more matters about what the resident wants to accomplish.
one thing he really is adamant about changing besides these drug addiction and crime and corruption -- is to federalize the country - in order to remove centralized power from manila and let the provinices have more say in their own development --

simplifying it with :

"provinces pay the tax -- everything is sent to manila -- manila share is 60 percent for national matters -- 40 supposed to be sent BACK to provinces for their needs..but LITTLE of that 40 HAS ever returned...provinces should pay that tax to themselves and directly use it there - and manila's 60 percent as national share should then be redistributed as needed - that's what manila as national government is for -- but we have never applied it properly...

"the MOROS (muslims) in provinces where they are majority - should have the right to use that tax they pay to develop as they see fit and have the freedom to make business with foreigners or other provinces the way they see fit according to their needs..the same should be for any province...and not all WAIT for manila ELITES to hand down crumbs to the provinces - while the elites hoard all the money and give favors to each other and only mostly the northern provinces around manila -- because it bhaves like an Imperial city".

and he is exactly right.

basically -- he believes that the mulsim 'problem" which started as a nationalist fight against foreign christianizing invasion - before there were ever any christians - TODAY has its legacy the general poverty of muslims ..and the only way is to respect them by making sure their regions or communities are as prosperous as any other..and ONE way TO DO THAT is to EDUCATE filipinos "that our muslim brothers and sisters were muslims BEFORE we ever became christians -- they already were so even in manila which was ruled by a DATU (A CHIEF) who was muslim - and we all have to recognize they are not some foreigner - they were , so to say, HERE before any of us christians and we can even say this is their land before this became christian"

he really is emphatic about that.

u know -- i see a certain parallel with russia actually.

russia was 'born' as a nation BY becoming ORTHODOX -- BUT russia conquered in its expansion to the south and east - partly in response to MONGOL invasion and rule that reached as far as moscow and even beyond deep into central europe and even into northern italy -- the LARGEST empire ever see as a contigious territory the world has ever known --

to the point that SOME russian scholars actually consider RUSSIA AS ''MONGOL TATAR" in its ''deepest" form - RATHER than a 'varangian' country...and which is the reason russia is so ''many-layered - oriental and simply non-euroepan" - and why the west and russia just can not see eye to eye in a civilizational sense..

but as the russian EMPIRE expanded east and south - it incorporated the conquered peoples AND their religion of ISLAM - so - how does and how DID the russian empire succeed in unifying - in a more or less peaceful empire - when seen from the stnadpoint of unity against further foreign intrusions like we still see today?

BY practicing a form of federalization even long ago --
allowing the concentrations of different 'cultures, ethnicities, religions,nationalities" (putin's own word) -
to run their affairs themselves - and that's exctly how russia functions. they are in fact a federation in the true sense of the word -- of AUTONOMOUS - self-ruling regions.

tha tTATARS of tatarstan create their own domsestic policies for development, decide what industries are priority - - the chechens decide they have to have a big city - the ones in far east decide they want highways and harbors - and they spend their money that way - inclduing what the national taxes send back to them. and where there is a lack - or need -- such as in CRIMEA to develop it -- the national government comes in to give the assistance as needed.

but there is a basic - foundation -- autonomous decision making within the differernt republicfs or autonomous regions - which is how the russians classify their particular provinces or states..

i think it's a good system ..
MARAT SAFIN IS A TATAR -MONGOL - in other words he IS a descendant of Turkic, tatar, central asian peoples...and MUSLIM - born in TATARSTAN but decided to reside in Moscow REGION (notjst moscow CITY ) so he represents a distrcit of moscow REGION ...which is just north of his native tatarstan republic. ..which also happens to be one of the most prosperous and industrialist parts of russia and functions like an independent state within itself.

in many ways -- russia IS MORE ADVANCED in this balance between the national , central governemnt and the autonomous - self-rule - of the various republics and states, and regions within the national unity of the Russian federation

THAN the United STATES of america. and yet with such vast differentiations -- russia is far, far more UNITED as a country than the USA.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for making this. i've read something about Philippines on the internet in the meantime like I promised. i will watch/read all in the thread over next couple of days. Too much information to go through all of it right now.

haha -- if i was dropped in the philippines now -- i would get lost - lol.

so many things i don't know about it - haha. but i got so jealous when a friend phoned me las tweek - -u know -- just chit-chat -- saying so and so that she knows in texas -- that is still working like a workaholic - even after retirement as physical therapist has nothing else to do -- and might go home - after she already built a nice, big, big house - and BOUGHT her own little island, with gorgeous beachers. spend 250 dollars out of her 2,000 or something social security from USA - enough for her to live by every month - have her own driver and house maid to do the chores and do the market a mile in the main island of palawan -- and not be bothered by relatives..lol

i didn't even know some of them do that nowadays, oh my god.

Reactions: Mastoor

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
haha -- if i was dropped in the philippines now -- i would get lost - lol.

so many things i don't know about it - haha. but i got so jealous when a friend phoned me las tweek - -u know -- just chit-chat -- saying so and so that she knows in texas -- that is still working like a workaholic - even after retirement as physical therapist has nothing else to do -- and might go home - after she already built a nice, big, big house - and BOUGHT her own little island, with gorgeous beachers. spend 250 dollars out of her 2,000 or something social security from USA - enough for her to live by every month - have her own driver and house maid to do the chores and do the market a mile in the main island of palawan -- and not be bothered by relatives..lol

i didn't even know some of them do that nowadays, oh my god.

Thanks for the videos. I am glad that you acknowledged my request to open this thread. Thank you for that. The country is amazing and I enjoyed watching the videos and reading your posts. As Billie said we have similar green markets in Serbia, while sand beaches are similar to those in new Zealand. Everything else was rather new to me.

I was in trouble in Europe last year and I got out of it with a help of a Filipino lady who I never met before. She didn't look like they normally do like some sort of Malaya or Chinese people, she looked like a Samoan, Polynesian.

So even when you mentioned something on the forum I was embarrassed I knew next to nothing about the country. I knew what the people looked like,roughly where it is, the capital Manila, Spanish, American and Japanese occupations, i remember basketball world championship and Karpov v Korchnoi, I forgot the name of the ruling family from the 70s and I know the anecdote.

As for Italians being one unit, I think @mrzz told you they have many dialects and they don't even understand each other when they don't use standard Italian. i don't think what he thinks dialects are applies to Slavic languages. We didn't have any dialects chosen to be state languages in sense it happened in Italy or Germany or Spain or other Western countries where they had dozens or even hundreds dialects and languages before they chose selected ones to be state languages such as Hoch Deutsch (which replaced 200 different dialects or even unrelated languages often Slavic) in Germany, Florentine in Italy and so on.

I am half way trough the videos, but I intend to see them all.

Is President Duterte one who criticised Obama last year?

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for the videos. I am glad that you acknowledged my request to open this thread. Thank you for that. The country is amazing and I enjoyed watching the videos and reading your posts. As Billie said we have similar green markets in Serbia, while sand beaches are similar to those in new Zealand. Everything else was rather new to me.

Is President Duterte one who criticised Obama last year?

ya - he's been non-stop with that criticism actually . i am myself also trying to understand where he's going with it all -- but the more i follow the news from ''there" and just short e mail updates from my brothers or cousins back home - ether province or manila - the more i understand that duterte has always been very displeased about the condition of the country for its governance faults - and DEFINITELY attaches a lot of it to the influence of the americans .

as he emphasizes " every single administration -- again and again and again for decades and decades -- america says do this, we say yes, america says sit down, we sit, america says go there and make war with vietnam, we say yes sir....it has to stop..every single time -- america likes to insert a 'conditional phrase;" if you don't do this .. we will cut of aid".

"now they threaten me? i can be polite - but don't fuck with me -- i'll fuck you back...this is MY country...i understand they are dropping us from their Millenium challenge aid -- 500 million? so what? they can keep it -- i don't want it -- we'll manage somehow...because they cry crocodile tears about so-called extra-judicial killings ? do they know what drug addiction is doing to my people? their families, communities and the brains of our youth? that's our future.....what about the USA and NATO? what did they do - bombing, and bombing and destroying countries..iraq, libya, afghanistan, syria....look at what they did to yugoslavia. are they facing criminal courts for what they did? putang ina (equivalent to a curse - like shit, goddamn, son-of-a bitch")_ ...

he definitely talks even MORE in filipino when he swtches - mixed always with jokes actually..but we filipinos understand instantly that he reflects what he describes as "while on the surface filipinos are close to the USA culturally -- undestandably because that is the way it has been for a hundred years until today -- deep down, there is an instinct that comes to the surface tht i am expressing..that we know we have been treated very badly as a country by the americans.....but china -- what did they ever do to us ? the russians? they've come as friends and traders and mercahnts...that's it..that's why i am turnign to them. ".

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Russian Ambassador IGOR KOVAEV in manila...during last week's russian navy;s 2 ships visiting ''goodwill'' appearance ..talking about the recent developments..

he said at other times :
"it is high time that our countries get to know each other better and have deeper relations - we are definitely interested in mutual cooperation in ALL areas for a win-win situation..
'' - we will NOT tolerate ANY attempts by a third country to INterfere in the relations between OUR sovereign countries".

basically -- i CAN say that generally -- filipinos are really quite an open-minded people..we've tended to be that way so it's not hard for filipinos to ''assimilate" basically ANY foreign influence...we just turn it into something local and it becomes part of the culture basically. lol.

as for the port call -- it was bsically just to indicate the interest beween the countries for future joint drills that they expect to make a regular thing -- which will include china and malaysia - and if other neighbors are interested they are invited to join. that's bascially what i gather from the news .

a very interesting side development is -- just weeks after duterte made these controversial remarks -
SWEDEN -- which is right now one of the rabidly ''anti-russia" countries -- suddenly RE-opened its Embassy in manila

they closed it years ago citing financial constraints due to ''the 2008 global recession".
so -- go figure.

in teh second video -- the duterte guy visiting the russian ship - just got back from the south that day to check up on the situation down there as there had been recent bombings (usually any of terrorism al qaeda,daesh linked, or the drug lords fighting back) -
and he's saying to the russians after he signed -- 'come back anytime -- dock anytime you want".
===============================

Last edited:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

video below shows kovaev going to the far south -- davao city where duterte was the successful mayor, and also govvernor for 23 years actually.

near the end of the video -- the reporter is talking abotu kovaev saying russian businesses are very interested in many areas -- and in temrs of agriculture - for joint projects in crops that can not grow in russia but abundant in the philippines ..and talking about big engineering projects..

Reactions: Billie

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

===================

above he is speaking ins ingapore and cautions filipinos in the audience that they may have to get used to his speech as he is not well-versed in tagalog (considered national language) or even his visayan dialect (middle philippines) - as he is from the south and in his region of davao the language is evolving -- with younger generations mixing things around -- and he gives a sample of how the different dialects are being merged plus other tribal infusions to create a ''davao language" -- from spanish terms, to tribal terms to tagalog to pidgin english to plays on words and these all become part of an evolved language. lol...

it's kind of typical filipino habits - coming up with their local ''styles" lol

and he introduces some of his cabinet that flew with him to introduce them to the expatriate filipinos --

telling which tribe or province or language they come from -- and making jokes about about one who has ''american in him -- where did he come from?" lol

and he talks about one cabinet member who happens to come from Pastor family and say s"he will take care of my dirty mouth and ''Putang ina" -- and then he introduces the muslim cabinet member..etc..lots of jokes actually --typically playful jokes mixed with serious matters...

then he tanks the singaporeans ''for treating my people well in your country".

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RUSSIA TODAY tv -- exclusive interview. where duterte basically gives a general outline of how the USA began its colonial relation -- and ''to this day has not apologized and yhou want us to thank you? ''

says basically - abotu china and russia "we missed our chances " for better , deeper relations.
==============================================

Reactions: Mastoor and Billie

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DUTERTE ON USA/WEST WARS -- AND ACCUSATIONS ABOUT EXTRAJUDICIAL MURDER"

"I STIL HAVE TO HEAR FROM THE USA AND WEST BOMBING COUNTRIES -- CLAIMING FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM ..bombing hospitals, schools, civilians - in MIDDLE EAST, VIETNAM ...

''WHY IS IT WHEN THEY KILL CIVILIANS IT IS COLLATERAL DAMAGE -- BUT FOR US KILLING CRIMINALS AND DRUG PUSHERS - IT IS MURDER?"

================

note: in the philippines -- people who are 'colonial minded" -- such as ''human rights' protesters (like those funded by george soros, western NGO, S etc) are called "YELLOW"

yelloW journalists, yellow '''patriots" , yellow elitists, that kind of thing. as in FAKE AND shills for the empire.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
below video of RUGBY -- filipino/australian (i should think , as rugby is NOT a real filipino sport ) -- ''home team" -- versus VISITING team SERBIA.

BUT in future =- i want SERBIANS to come to the philippines and find out there is also a home for them there. :)

=

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll tell you what Teddy, when you go back home and open a farm, or some other tourist destination, I'll come.:yes:

HAHA. THANK YOU , BILLIE -- very kind of you to say that.

what a dream it would be -- even if just a little dream. but even if not for me -- i hope for others it will come true. if ou ever go to the country -- be prepared to spend the nightlife - singing KARAOKE to your heart's content - at the beach or restaurants...lol -- pinoys are crazy about tha t-- reportedly they ''invented" the ''social form" - but a japanese claims HE invented the technology or putting iot together -- but it seems in asia - even if they heard his counterclaim -- nobody pays him any mind -- they accept it as a '''pinoy invention" - lol.

but it is fund to do. i do know that the country prints tons and tons and tons of these album ''collections" to insert the plug-in into the playing device - with sections just filipino, then ''1980's oldies" - then ''american hits" - then ''international hits' - then in languages that they compile more and more from different countries .

filipinos are crazy like that -- anything to make an excuse to celebrate a little bit whenever socializing...hehe.

i wish i had a magic wand -- to ''beam" you all away to a nice beach and karaoke , splash in the water all day , quarrel in the afternoon and eat and sing and dance and laugh all night...and fun in the philippines!! lol.
:):dance3:

Reactions: Mastoor and Billie

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Any plans to visit in the near future?

I worked with a couple of Filipinos up until recently in Oz. Both real characters with a playful sense of humour.

heard of this guy? has lived in the philipines it says for 40 or so years. he sounds very aussie to me...apparently one of the richest businessmen in the philipines where he is also a citizen. and seems duterte will be wanting him as adviser ..of some sort, i guess.

one reason i keep an 'eye' on australia -- regarding my country duterte's apparentchnges iin policies -- is , if thngs work out properly -- AUSTRALIA DEFINITELY should be one of the country's closest partners.

i think aussies are just 'different" in their own way from merikkans...more down-to-earth and i think better to talk to in all affairs and ''not full of themselves" whatever the LEADERS are like who kowtow to washington in all affairs.

watch

Last edited:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
update -- on the ''foreign investment" matters and newer policies since duterte -- much improved ideas, i think. ..particularly how they are cleaning up a lot of things to make foreign investment and businesses enter ..including low taxes, extending for foreign businesses 75 year land rights..preparing industrial, manufacturing based across the islands...

discussed during PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN'S ABE visit to DAVAO - MINDANAO..
I had no idea how extensive the changes have become...amazing.

===================================
watch

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll tell you what Teddy, when you go back home and open a farm, or some other tourist destination, I'll come.:yes:

firstof all -- whatever duterte is doing concerning dealing with the crime, corruption --to develop the country and alleviate poverty --

the more i study and learn hat' s going on -- the more i see that this country IS poised to make a very impressive growth in the coming few years .

aware as i am of foreign interest -- i am still quite surprised at how at least 3 ''powers" are actually competing quite intensely to take advantage of duterte's ''opening" (beyond the decades and decades of being told what to do by the USA tha tbasically monopolized the country - and THUS suppressed other options for develppment and poverty alleviation which IS what filipinos who face up to the reality really , really hated -- and NOW with duterte intensively INSTILLING this consciousness in the population -- the people are VERY ready to make changes they always instinctively knew and /suspected is the case) ...

just the HIGHSPEED rail and highways construction alone -- just in mindanao alone -- to crisscross the big rich , mostly virgin island -- is already being contested for contracts by China, Russia and Japan.
same apparently with harbors to take advantage of the region's great deep harbor coasts all around it..(it is in the north-eastern line of the island that the worlds deepest part of the ocean is located -- MARIANAS deep -- SCCCAAARRYY EVER TIME our ships pass over that when traveling for summer vacation, long ago, lol) ...

i always knew and took for granted the island is very rich in resources, land , minerals, forests. fields, rivers, etc..but never really knew it is that muich. lol so the foreign prospectors must have known it for a long time -- but needed the RIGHT incentives and assurances -- which are beginning only recently .

i think that' sgood for all concerned. foreign and filipino citizens because we DO have an educated work force that is also YOUNG in general and need a better opportunity from investments and industries of all kinds to have a better life and economy and country.

and billie -- i can't help think -- I KNOW that SERBIA has A HIGH reputation in engineering, construction -- building and big construction designers - architects -- i think and hope SERBIA will find a niche in my country ...i really do . there's so much room to find partnerships in -- and my country NEEDS good partners . filipinos -- in GENERAL, are hardworking , responsible and LOYAL to good employers.

so tell the countrymen you have back home about my country and people.

one day -- there will be enough economic growth producing a larger rising ''middle class" -- with more spending money that will be joining more ''global" things - like SPORTS -- and big events -- to enhance the island's and country's profile even more

and THAT MEANS TENNIS will surely become one of these ''world-class" sports -

SO -- ONE DAY II - I WANT NOLE - ANA AND OTHER SERB champs to go there and give appearances and inspire chambers of commerce and communities to ''GO TENNIS|"

!!.. AND NOLE can lease for 75 years a low tax island for himself - hehe ...(country under duterte will not sell to foreigners) -

build a very high-class resort for tennis players as they go about the ''ASIA CIRCUIT" season -- because the philippines is a perfect location to any direction really.

4 hours or so to any direction in the mainland or the neighboring countries and archipelagos like indonesia or australia. lol.

another reason the USA JEALOUSLY guarded its ''possession -- "

lol.

Reactions: Billie and Mastoor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 0