-stats derived from tennisabstract data

Discuss...

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
McEnroe winning his last major at 26 always seems weird considering he was kicking the arses of some of the freshly retired players on the seniors tour years later.

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Edberg was also 26, not 27 when he won his last one. Stefan said he was in good physical shape when he retired at 30, but had lost the mental edge that splits the best from the rest.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing any patterns other than the better players seem to be in the top half. Maybe McEnroe is the one who defies the rule.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Edberg was also 26, not 27 when he won his last one. Stefan said he was in good physical shape when he retired at 30, but had lost the mental edge that splits the best from the rest.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing any patterns other than the better players seem to be in the top half. Maybe McEnroe is the one who defies the rule.

@britbox, You must have missed the * at the bottom of the image... *age rounded to nearest year. :)
Edberg born Jan. 19, 1966. US Open Final - Sept. 13, 1992. 26 years and almost 8 months.

Respectfully,
masterclass

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
It's interesting to look at the Penultimate leaders.

Connors, Lendl, Sampras at 984, 908, 869, are all higher than Federer's 850, but then their last major came about 60, 90, 110 matches later respectively. Federer got his last major win close to 200 matches later, mostly due to Nadal and Djokovic dominating RG 2010- RG 2012.

I believe that one of Federer's greatest accomplishments was winning 2012 Wimbledon in match #1045, defeating Murray and Djokovic, and regaining the World #1 ranking when his strong next generation competitors, Djokovic and Nadal were in their prime peak years.

Much like Connors, he has demonstrated his strength over multiple generations:

1. He and his generation rose at the end of the Sampras/Agassi generation at age 19-21, helping to push them out.
2. He dominated at #1 over his own generation from Feb 2004 - Aug 2008, age 22-27.
3. He solidly competed with the Nadal/Djokovic generation from then on, never worse then #3, and even topped them at age 31, reaching #1, and was still #2-#3 in 2014-2015, at age 33-34.
4. The following generation, Nishikori/Raonic leading the way, has posed few problems until this injury ridden year when he lost to Raonic in the SF at Wimbledon.
5. The #NEXT generation, has shown some promise here and there, but is still unproven.

Federer looks like he has won his last major, but I won't rule him out till he retires.

Nadal looks like he has won his last or penultimate major, but ditto about ruling him out.
He has now played 976 matches. His last was at 834 matches, a 142 match difference.

Djokovic has played 894 matches. Ironically, his recent domination has added a lot of mileage. He certainly is within the range where players win their penultimate major, but his advantage is that there are no strong rising youngsters that have even won a major. However, the main challengers to him come from his generation, Murray, Del Potro, Cilic, and Wawrinka all with from 100-400 fewer matches in their bag. I see 2 maybe 3 majors more for Novak based on the historical match wins.

But who knows what will happen? Things can change fast in tennis.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
McEnroe has still got soft hands.... (john)
I can't account for the entire history of tennis, but Johnny Mac was possibly the last greatest net player. That's why he was such a great doubles player.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TBH, I never watched him much, so make your own case.

To use your own term... The last greatest net player.

I don't think Stefan was better than Johnny Mac btw...but using your description... I'd say he fits the bill. Last guy also to be World Number One in Singles and Doubles at the same time.... will that ever be repeated?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To use your own term... The last greatest net player.

I don't think Stefan was better than Johnny Mac btw...but using your description... I'd say he fits the bill. Last guy also to be World Number One in Singles and Doubles at the same time.... will that ever be repeated?
Edberg played in a rather long period of time that I wasn't watching much tennis, so I'll defer to you and broken on him, therefore, sure, why not: Last greatest net player. As to your question, I'd say no, it won't be repeated, primarily because the best singles players don't play doubles often enough. The culture of that would have to change, and I don't see that happening.