Nikolay Davydenko announces retirement

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
GameSetAndMath said:
So, another contemporary of Roger retires, while Roger is scheming to end the year as #1.

Some quick research. Roger was born in 1981.

Take your time and do full research if you could and report the results please.
I am interested in knowing how many players who are between, say 30 and 36 (given
that Roger is 33), have hung their racquets and how many are still active.

Based on your initial results, it is actually more than I expected.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The Deathless One will see them all off, eventually... ;)

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Count me among the ones who enjoyed a lot watching Davydenko play. I remember a match against Blake in which they would exchange 10 shots in sort of, three seconds... it was missiles flying all over the place. Very, very entertaining.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
One of the most entertaining players to watch on tour when he was up and about. His matches against Nadal were always fun and interesting to watch.

Congratulations on an awesome career. It's a shame he never won a GS, but he has a handy WTF in his pocket. :D

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Easily one of the cleanest ball strikers of his generation, perhaps even in history. Would put him up there with Agassi, Mecir, Nalbandian and others as far as just hitting a clean ball. He seemed to play ping pong at times with how early the ball came back once it reached him.

Unlike most, I actually enjoyed a lot of the Federer generation players, even though they didn't achieve much (in part due to limitations/injuries, in part due to bad choices, and in large part due to Federer). Davydenko, Blake, Nalbandian, Safin and those guys were really fun to watch. I actually enjoy their brand of tennis much, MUCH more than I do when I watch non big 4 players these days.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really do agree with what Broken writes above. A lot of those players were aggressive and skillful players. There was a lot of talent and shotmaking in that group--a ton.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Yep, agreed with Broken. When the likes of Nalbandian and Blake were up and about, there was nothing better. They could hit the ball so flat, so low and so fast.