Next & Millenial Gens: Head-to-heads

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Now that we're entering into a new era, I became curious about who among the younger players (Next and Millenial Gens, or from Dominic Thiem and younger) was most dominant against their peers. I picked out the 19 players who I thought were the best from the class of '93 onward, and made the following chart:
Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 8.22.06 PM.png

I sorted it by W%. Bold means a winning record (it reads across). This is updated through today's results (11/16), or two rounds of the RR at the 2022 Tour Finals. Once the tournament is over, I'll update it again.

Unsurprising, Medvedev tops with list, with Thiem and Zverev behind him. Medvedev has almost certainly shown the highest sustained level - at least for 2019-21--and Thiem and Zverev the overall highest plateau for the longest period of time. These guys benefit from playing a lot of these matches while in their prime, while guys like Musetti, Alcaraz, Rune, and FAA are just finding their form. Rune and Musetti, in particular, suffer from small sample size.

Perhaps the biggest outlier is Borna Coric, but that may be because of the same factors as Thiem, Zverev and Medvedev: he's been around for awhile, so has played a lot of these matches at an established level. Interesting, also, to see good old Kyrgios with winning records against Medvedev, Zverev, and Tsitsipas.

As you can see, Tiafoe is a solid 10% below everyone else. Maybe he'll improve upon that, as he seems to have found a higher level.

Anyhow, not sure if there's an iconic match-up that stands out to me. I suppose Medvedev and Zverev tied at 6-6 is noteworthy. I was also reminded that Alcaraz is 0-3 vs. FAA so far.

A few real lopsided matchups, too. Zverev 5-0 vs Rublev, Tiafoe really struggles against Zverev (1-6) and Fritz (1-5), etc.

Reactions: Moxie