NCAA Tournament

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone into March Madness College Bball? I'm not much of a college bball fan but ended up following the Badgers' run this year. A nice kick to the "you know what" kind of loss tonight but it was a hell of a game. There have been a lot of good ones so far. I'll tune in a bit for the title game Monday but I have a feeling Kentucky is going to roll UConn.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Anyone into March Madness College Bball? I'm not much of a college bball fan but ended up following the Badgers' run this year. A nice kick to the "you know what" kind of loss tonight but it was a hell of a game. There have been a lot of good ones so far. I'll tune in a bit for the title game Monday but I have a feeling Kentucky is going to roll UConn.

Yeah, I have been following it.

Wisconsin was a huge overachiever of a team. Kaminsky has some game and they have some good outside shooters, but both Arizona and Kentucky had a terrible approach (dumb coaching as usual) in playing them. Both the Arizona and Kentucky coaching staffs slowed the game down and did not have their players push it offensively, which was utterly baffling.

Kentucky should have won by 20+ but because of a poor gameplan they got lucky that Harrison hit that shot. But, by the same token, Jackson traveled (took 5 steps) before the foul call on the play before and he never should have even had the opportunity to go to the free throw line.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
DarthFed said:

Yeah, I have been following it.

Wisconsin was a huge overachiever of a team. Kaminsky has some game and they have some good outside shooters, but both Arizona and Kentucky had a terrible approach (dumb coaching as usual) in playing them. Both the Arizona and Kentucky coaching staffs slowed the game down and did not have their players push it offensively, which was utterly baffling.

Kentucky should have won by 20+ but because of a poor gameplan they got lucky that Harrison hit that shot. But, by the same token, Jackson traveled (took 5 steps) before the foul call on the play before and he never should have even had the opportunity to go to the free throw line.

Arizona didn't do enough to counter Kaminsky IMO and that cost them the game. Kentucky had a much better approach and they actually did push the tempo well, they had an absurd amount of points in the paint and only took five 3's all game. It was a weird game yesterday, UW generally outplayed them for 36 minutes of that game but an awful 4 minute stretch where Kentucky scored 15 straight is what did them in.

And yes, that was an incredible travel, one of the reasons I wasn't too ticked off that they lost (that and I'm not that big of college bball fan to begin with). I'm used to blatant travels going uncalled in the NBA but in college...they usually have some rules.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Arizona didn't do enough to counter Kaminsky IMO and that cost them the game. Kentucky had a much better approach and they actually did push the tempo well, they had an absurd amount of points in the paint and only took five 3's all game. It was a weird game yesterday, UW generally outplayed them for 36 minutes of that game but an awful 4 minute stretch where Kentucky scored 15 straight is what did them in.

And yes, that was an incredible travel, one of the reasons I wasn't too ticked off that they lost (that and I'm not that big of college bball fan to begin with). I'm used to blatant travels going uncalled in the NBA but in college...they usually have some rules.

Arizona's big Polish guy just did not have the feet to stay with Kaminsky, and Gordon had one of the worst games of the season.

I disagree that Kentucky pushed the tempo. They actually played slower in their half-court offense than Wisconsin did in theirs most of the time. Kentucky called out plays and basically played 1950s half-court Hoosier offense most of the game. They hardly ever pushed the tempo off of defensive rebounds to get in transition, nor did they take quick jumpers to open the game up. They passed the ball methodically and didn't take shots until at least 15 seconds had run off the shot clock. That was a huge mistake which allowed Wisconsin to have control of the game most of the way.

The fact that Kentucky had so many points in the paint owed to their interior size and athleticism advantage. It was not the result of initiating transition.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay Darth - here is what I have to say about the championship game.

On the UConn side, Napier and Boatwright are flat out ballers. They are both great ball handlers. Napier has nasty one-on-one moves. DeAndre Daniels is also a playmaker and a dynamic 3-4 combo player (as well as a player who, gasp, thanked God on national TV "for making all of this possible" after UConn's win over Florida; I hope Bill "The Obscene Ignoramus" Maher didn't see that). Giffey, the player from Germany, has a scorer's mentality.

On the Kentucky side, the Harrison twins are at a disadvantage against Napier and Boatwright, but the rest of their team will likely cover for them if they struggle on either end. James Young is a very smart player; he passes well, drives well, and has a very good lefty shot, with touch. Poythress and Marcus Lee, with their tremendous athleticism, are both excellent players to have for the purposes of finishing near the basket on alley-oops and put-backs and also for snaring rebounds. The back-up guard Dominique Hawkins may be very useful in this game when it comes to defending Napier and Boatwright. And then, most of all, there is Julius Randle. He is the most talented player on the court in this game. The key for him is to stay out of trouble and make sure that he doesn't allow UK to go away from him for long stretches. He has to get consistent touches and make sure that he really puts his imprint on the game. He is capable of taking this game over and it will be played at a comfortable pace for him. If Kentucky goes through Randle enough, this one could become a scenario of "theirs for the taking".

Overall, this game is too close to call. UConn has a clear advantage at the guard spots, but the Harrison twins are capable of producing some great stretches. Kentucky clearly has the interior and wing advantage, even though Daniels is very talented all-around and Giffey can score a good bit; however, it is possible to imagine Daniels having a great game that more or less neutralizes this Kentucky interior advantage. Kentucky has not blown out anyone in the tournament, with all of their games being very close, and UConn has been in a slew of tight games as well. Both coaches emphasize physical defense and they have instilled a very tough mindset in their players that generally keeps the game from getting away from their teams, so it is unlikely that one team will pull away.

All in all, this one is just too close to call. Although if I absolutely had to make a pick, I'd give a slight edge to Kentucky here, even though I love how Napier and Boatwright play.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
The slave labor aspect of the whole NCAA business (and yes , it iS a big business) turns me off from the whole thing, but being a basketball fan, I feel I have to follow it. I like Napier's game. He will be a good pro. Like Cali said, this one is too close to call. %52 Kentucky.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
The slave labor aspect of the whole NCAA business (and yes , it iS a big business) turns me off from the whole thing, but being a basketball fan, I feel I have to follow it. I like Napier's game. He will be a good pro. Like Cali said, this one is too close to call. %52 Kentucky.

Yes, so-called "collegiate athletics" are a collective fraud.

The hypocrisy of the NCAA and that clown Mark Emmert (and all of his university president friends) is truly astounding.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Napier and Boatwright deserved the championship. Congratulations to them.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I ended up not seeing a second of it but congrats to UConn, it was going to be quite the surprise winner no matter who won last night. Biggest surprise winner since ??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 224
britbox Other Sports 117