Navratilova calls for Margaret Court Arena to be renamed.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Big story down under this week.

[parsehtml]

<a class="embedly-card" href="http://www.sportingnews.com/au/tennis/news/navratilova-calls-for-margaret-court-arena-name-change/awsayqyraf4u1bzsykuu6kmvj">Navratilova calls for Margaret Court Arena name change</a>

[/parsehtml]

N

Nekro

Big story down under this week.

[parsehtml]

<a class="embedly-card" href="http://www.sportingnews.com/au/tennis/news/navratilova-calls-for-margaret-court-arena-name-change/awsayqyraf4u1bzsykuu6kmvj">Navratilova calls for Margaret Court Arena name change</a>

[/parsehtml]
lol and mrzz started worrying about the health of political correctness..... from what's going on in the world it's obvious it's just getting worse and worse.....

So now they're banning tennis legends like Nastase from tourneys and places, let's just erase Margaret's name form everywhere, because these people are too conservative and not PC enough....

Cause you know, in this joke sport it's not actual sport achievements that count but how one fits Soros&co's vision of how the world should be run......

Like the plebs are gonna work their butts off and we distribute the money, decide who's the winner and the loser based on whether they fit certain agendas......

Like let's put Steroina on a pink pony and worship her 24/7 cause she's like the embodyment of PC, let's forget she gobbled up all the steroids in the world, she had exemptions folks, exemptions turn steroids to candies....... Yes, she didn't do it to build beastly, manly muscles in her "off-seasons" and to take advantage of those beastly muscles in competition, and who cares about the sport anyway? it's PC that counts not this fricking joke sport and its old legends......

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So, the story in a nutshell is this.

Margaret Court, in her position as Pastor of a church in Western Australia writes a letter to the Sydney Morning Herald saying that the she won't be flying Quantas as the CEO has come out and said Quantas supports same sex marriage.

Martina Navratilova and a bunch of others go to town on Court saying that the Margaret Court Arena should have it's name changed.

---

Now, I suspect the Arena was named after Margaret Court because of her tennis achievements. They obviously still stand, so the thought of changing the arena's name based on her personal beliefs on something that is totally unrelated, seems silly to me.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If she is a great player and PC, she is great.
If she is a great player and not PC, she is rubbish.

I was previously banned in tennis frontier when tented stated that i was 'homophobic'....though i never discussed such issues. now of course it has become a necessity that we support gay marriage, gay rights and whatever other PC issues, or we are not allowed to have a voice.

wonder if people still have courage and conscience to say what they really think, but its time. i don't believe in SSM, so ban me. I think Court was right and she is entitled to her opinion, and there is nothing that can take away the fact that she was a great player and Margaret Court was named to recognise that.......unless someone can prove it was named because of her effort in support of SSM.

There is different PC in different era, the post always shifts.....just like when there was diff PC in old days too and they took away your rights when one was unPC. And people say its 21st century....

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was listening to Gold FM on the Gold Coast when they made it a discussion topic for the phone-in, the hosts went with Navratilova but the callers were pretty much all in favour that Court was entitled to her opinion. She was speaking as a christian pastor, not a tennis ambassador. I think the hosts were a bit surprised how badly they misjudged the mood.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
It's a shame Navratilova and her liberal supporters won't show tolerance to Court's religious views. Respect to Court for holding steady. Just so frustrating how everything is so politicized today. This campaign to remove her legendary name from the Australian Open is militant.

Reactions: Mary

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Perhaps they should consider renaming Hisense to Margaret Court so they have two Margaret Court arenas. ;-):

Someone said that a British musician said something like this: "When I came to London it was a shame to be gay, today it is normal and I am leaving London before it becomes compulsory."

Murray in 15 years: "I don't see why anyone has a problem with two creatures who love each other getting married. If it's a man and a mare, a woman and a donkey, an oldman and a preteen girl, that's great. I don't see why it should matter. It's not anyone else's business. "

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Perhaps they should consider renaming Hisense to Margaret Court so they have two Margaret Court arenas. ;-):

Someone said that a British musician said something like this: "When I came to London it was a shame to be gay, today it is normal and I am leaving London before it becomes compulsory."

Murray in 15 years: "I don't see why anyone has a problem with two creatures who love each other getting married. If it's a man and a mare, a woman and a donkey, an oldman and a preteen girl, that's great. I don't see why it should matter. It's not anyone else's business. "

They'll also need a non-binary arena. That's the new thing.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
They'll also need a non-binary arena. That's the new thing.

Some people even say that because there are so many lesbians in wta perhaps they can make a lgbt version of it.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Disagree with Nav, the arena was named after Margaret Court's tennis exploits. I don't think it should be renamed because of her religious beliefs.
Agreed!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
There's a lot of them in the WTA? I only know of 3.

On tour currently or of all time 'cos it's a lot more than 3 if were talking past eras too :p Currently on tour Suarez Navarro and Schiavone stick out a mile off anyway. Dellacqua, Errani and Vinci too and Raymond and Stubbs in doubles.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
An interesting overview of Court's career and controversies from The Guardian.

Piece ends with this:

'It was also King who stepped in to defend Court during the 2012 imbroglio, again amid calls to rename the arena. “Get rid of her for that?” King said. “Because you don’t agree with her? Are you kidding? Please. She deserves it. She’s a great player.”

A great player, yes, but for better or worse, Court is now the principal architect of her own image. “All my life I’ve believed you must tell the truth,” Court said last year. “Hold on to your beliefs, no matter how unpopular, no matter if saying your piece is going to get you in trouble.”'

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
On tour currently or of all time 'cos it's a lot more than 3 if were talking past eras too :p Currently on tour Suarez Navarro and Schiavone stick out a mile off anyway. Dellacqua, Errani and Vinci too and Raymond and Stubbs in doubles.
I was strictly talking about current players. Errani has a boyfriend and is not gay. Are you just going by looks? Because of the 3 I know for sure you only have one player listed Dellacqua.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was strictly talking about current players. Errani has a boyfriend and is not gay. Are you just going by looks? Because of the 3 I know for sure you only have one player listed Dellacqua.
Some men are so inclined to shout "lesbian" when women have muscles, athletic chops, and are clearly better than they are at a sport they play. It's not even as homophobic as it is pathetic.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
An interesting overview of Court's career and controversies from The Guardian.

Piece ends with this:

'It was also King who stepped in to defend Court during the 2012 imbroglio, again amid calls to rename the arena. “Get rid of her for that?” King said. “Because you don’t agree with her? Are you kidding? Please. She deserves it. She’s a great player.”

A great player, yes, but for better or worse, Court is now the principal architect of her own image. “All my life I’ve believed you must tell the truth,” Court said last year. “Hold on to your beliefs, no matter how unpopular, no matter if saying your piece is going to get you in trouble.”'

The headline in the Guardian says Court lost the respect of a nation... Which nation? The majority of Australians I speak to (not all by the way) think she has the right to freedom of speech and the stadium shouldn't be renamed. Maybe, it's just Queensland, but move outside of the media, there doesn't seem to be this huge outcry and controversy.

N

Nekro

I was previously banned in tennis frontier when tented stated that i was 'homophobic'.....
well, tented is kinda nowhere now and you're here among friends.... Those admin abusing pc mugs always suck it in the long run.... Just say what you believe in and stick to your buddies, then nothing bad can happen, well, maybe you'll get abused a few times but in the long run it's always the abusers who drop out for good......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 0