Naomi Osaka, the Controversy

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Naomi Osaka will not be going to do any press during Roland Garos.

Hey everyone,
Hope you're all doing well,I'm writing this to say I'm not going to do any press during Roland Garos.I've often felt people have no regard for athletes mental health and this rings very true whenever I see a press conference or partake in one.We're often sat there and asked questions that we've been asked multiple times before or asked questions that bring doubt into our minds and I'm just not going to subject myself to people that doubt me,I've watched many clips of athletes breaking down after a loss in the press room and I know you have as well.I believe that the whole situation is kicking a person while they're down and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.Me no doing press is nothing personal to the tournament and a couple journalists have interviewed me since I was young so I have friendly relationship with most of them.However,if the organizations think that they can just keep saying,"do press or you're gonna be fined" and continue to ignore the mental health of the athletes that are the centrepiece of their cooperation then I just gotta laugh.Anyway,I hope the considerable amount I get fined for this will go towards a mental health charity.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Finally a tennisplayer refusing to do a presser at a tournament. How many times have we seen tennislayers on the brink or over the point of a breakdown after a loss but because of rules they have to do a presser. Naomi Osaka you're my hereoine - well said.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Finally a tennisplayer refusing to do a presser at a tournament. How many times have we seen tennislayers on the brink or over the point of a breakdown after a loss but because of rules they have to do a presser. Naomi Osaka you're my hereoine - well said.

I already posted that in the current Roland Garos post seeing it was applicable.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I already posted that in the current Roland Garos post seeing it was applicable.
Well I see that BUT where is your opinion about her decision? That's why I post it here too as I think that discussion is better to take here and concentrate about the normal tennis activities in forums about the tournaments don't you think so? And what is your opinion about mental health and pressers?

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Naomi Osaka will not be going to do any press during Roland Garos.

Hey everyone,
Hope you're all doing well,I'm writing this to say I'm not going to do any press during Roland Garos.I've often felt people have no regard for athletes mental health and this rings very true whenever I see a press conference or partake in one.We're often sat there and asked questions that we've been asked multiple times before or asked questions that bring doubt into our minds and I'm just not going to subject myself to people that doubt me,I've watched many clips of athletes breaking down after a loss in the press room and I know you have as well.I believe that the whole situation is kicking a person while they're down and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.Me no doing press is nothing personal to the tournament and a couple journalists have interviewed me since I was young so I have friendly relationship with most of them.However,if the organizations think that they can just keep saying,"do press or you're gonna be fined" and continue to ignore the mental health of the athletes that are the centrepiece of their cooperation then I just gotta laugh.Anyway,I hope the considerable amount I get fined for this will go towards a mental health charity.
Fine with that. If you have an opinion about it then join a discussion in news and gossip, as I think she's nailing it - Osaka that is - well done Osaka.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fine with that. If you have an opinion about it then join a discussion in news and gossip, as I think she's nailing it - Osaka that is - well done Osaka.
I tend to disagree with Osaka,doing interviews is part of all tennis player's duties as such.,this is like opening up Pandora's Box.I will discuss in further in the News and Gossip.

Reactions: Rex

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I see that BUT where is your opinion about her decision? That's why I post it here too as I think that discussion is better to take here and concentrate about the normal tennis activities in forums about the tournaments don't you think so? And what is your opinion about mental health and pressers?
It is part of a tennis professional or any athlete who competes in a competition to do press conferences after their matches like tennis players,to use a mental health issue,first and foremost if players have these issues in my personal opinion they should not be playing and get the necessary help,then resume.Yes I think we have all witnessed players upset,good example was at this years AO where Serena Williams was visibly upset and crying and yes some of the questions posed I did think were unjust.Journalist's have to be able to sense and also read the body language of players in a press room and try to be 'sensitive' to their feelings.
Does this mean that Osaka will not be doing any more press conferences in her tennis career? or is she going to pick and choose when she will attend press conferences? this to me does open up a huge can of worms,top players who do not show up to their press conferences can I guess afford not to,though is this a good professional example Osaka is showing to the rest of her fellow players in the WTA?...to me this is taking off the pressure Osaka is facing on the clay,which is not her best surface,that she does not have to face the press when she loses,in life we all have to do things that might be unpleasant in our professional life.

Last edited:

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Osaka has a political statement about Black lives matter and was criticised for that - which I by the way was of the same opinion as Osaka. She criticise journalists and their hunt for sensations and their hunt for making a breakdown bigger. Good solid statements which journalists and tournaments should think about. Could be that a presser could be held when THE PLAYER is ready and NOT shortly after a match like at the grand slams - that is taking CARE of the players instead of breaking them down - make a shoulder to cry on. Osaka is until further only refusing pressers at grand slams - as far as I know. Stating this because she can't play on clay - do you really mean that Margaret.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka has a political statement about Black lives matter and was criticised for that - which I by the way was of the same opinion as Osaka. She criticise journalists and their hunt for sensations and their hunt for making a breakdown bigger. Good solid statements which journalists and tournaments should think about. Could be that a presser could be held when THE PLAYER is ready and NOT shortly after a match like at the grand slams - that is taking CARE of the players instead of breaking them down - make a shoulder to cry on. Osaka is until further only refusing pressers at grand slams - as far as I know. Stating this because she can't play on clay - do you really mean that Margaret.
I applauded Osaka for her stance on the Black Lives Matter by the way.
Dont take me out of context .....I made an observation and by the way I am not the only one who thinks this?.....she maybe taking the pressure off herself at Roland Garos,yes she cannot play on clay have you watched her? she has not played a clay tournament in 2 years....so she does not have to face the press when she loses,actually Todd Woodbridge a Aussie tennis player and now commentator echoed my thoughts about Osaka not showing up to press conference at Roland Garos.,for the very same reason?
Not all players break down in press conferences for goodness sakes,I think this is going way over the top
I disagree with Osaka this time on her stance,as a medical professional if a player is having real mental issues,they should have a break from tennis and get the necessary treatment and then resume playing.I do not think she is setting a good example for the rest of the WTA.If you actually Read my post I did say that journalist's should be more aware and sensitive to a player and be able to read their body language.Dont just pick on one of my sentences and take it out of context.End of discussion from me.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka is currently the "Ali" of tennis..Her voice is as almost as powerful as any person in sports.

Maybe she will show up to daily pressors and say..."I'm just here So I won't be fined ". Jajaja

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Osaka is currently the "Ali" of tennis..Her voice is as almost as powerful as any person in sports.

Maybe she will show up to daily pressors and say..."I'm just here So I won't be fined ". Jajaja
Call her Ali if you like. Here are some remarks to what she says. She said she hoped the many fines she might pay to the ITF Slams go to alleviate mental illness. No - about 3.5% of the billions earned by Slams go to players' prizes. Approx. 1% (this is information from 10 years ago, but I doubt it has changed much) goes to the ITF. The rest goes to tennis in the countries that hold Grand Slams. The one who I have got this from researched quite a bit in the relationship between ITF Slams, ITF, ATP and WTA for others. That she chooses a Slam is really wise. Players have zero influence on Slams. Nothing. While they have some influence through player associations in WTA / ATP. So bravo from me.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The question for me is is this a permanent thing or is Osaka picking and choosing which tournaments to do press? I can see tournament directors being miffed at her doing press at the tournaments she likes and ignoring the ones she dislikes. I think she is probably inviting more eyes and disdain by ignoring press obligations than by doing press.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The question for me is is this a permanent thing or is Osaka picking and choosing which tournaments to do press? I can see tournament directors being miffed at her doing press at the tournaments she likes and ignoring the ones she dislikes. I think she is probably inviting more eyes and disdain by ignoring press obligations than by doing press.
Exactly was I was thinking,is she picking and choosing what tournaments she wants to do press,this is opening up a huge can of worms.Seeing she is the current USO champion,I wonder if she will do press for them later this year?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Exactly was I was thinking,is she picking and choosing what tournaments she wants to do press,this is opening up a huge can of worms.Seeing she is the current USO champion,I wonder if she will do press for them later this year?
Well depending on how she navigates this, she may have more eyes and comments on her than she would if she just did the press obligations. If she is picking tournaments to do press at based on her good and bad experiences as a player, I can see tournaments jumping down her throat about it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well depending on how she navigates this, she may have more eyes and comments on her than she would if she just did the press obligations. If she is picking tournaments to do press at based on her good and bad experiences as a player, I can see tournaments jumping down her throat about it.
Agree with your thoughts 100%.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a response from the WTA about Osaka's decision not to take part in press conferences at Roland Garos.

Mental health is of the upmost importance to the WTA and for that matter,every individual person.We have a team of professionals and a support system in place that look after our athletes' mental and emotional health and well being.The WTA welcomes a dialogue with Naomi (all players) to discuss possible approaches that can help and support an athlete as they manage any concerns related to mental health,while also allowing us to deliver upon our responsibilities to the fans and public.Professional athletes have a responsibility to their sport and their fans to speak to the media surrounding their competition,allowing them the opportunity to share their perspective and tell their story.

A great response from the WTA....well said.

Reactions: kskate2

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is a response from the WTA about Osaka's decision not to take part in press conferences at Roland Garos.

Mental health is of the upmost importance to the WTA and for that matter,every individual person.We have a team of professionals and a support system in place that look after our athletes' mental and emotional health and well being.The WTA welcomes a dialogue with Naomi (all players) to discuss possible approaches that can help and support an athlete as they manage any concerns related to mental health,while also allowing us to deliver upon our responsibilities to the fans and public.Professional athletes have a responsibility to their sport and their fans to speak to the media surrounding their competition,allowing them the opportunity to share their perspective and tell their story.

A great response from the WTA....well said.
It's a comment - very neutral - and I think the WTA is doing their best. Then we need a comment from the ITF slams where is that. Again the slams follow their own rules and where the WTA has members from all the players, where they discuss things on the WTA tour - the slams are doing what they think WITHOUT any influence from players - not good - get into the new century slams.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's a comment - very neutral - and I think the WTA is doing their best. Then we need a comment from the ITF slams where is that. Again the slams follow their own rules and where the WTA has members from all the players, where they discuss things on the WTA tour - the slams are doing what they think WITHOUT any influence from players - not good - get into the new century slams.
Exactly. You have the ATP , the WTA, and then you have the independent Majors who do their own thing (aka the "Whites only attire" at Wimbledon). Osaka has opened the discussion as to how the post-match press conferences are conducted at the Majors. She has stated she's willing to pay the fines.

I would add that for Naomi, who seems a very shy reticent personality (yet has strong opinions/convictions nonetheless) post match interviews are a struggle, even when she wins. For all we know this media interaction on a personal level is very difficult for her. To address her struggles with some pat generalizations is too easy a way to dismiss her stance.

Many things are not clear with her statement. Is this policy of no post +match interviews limited to the French Open or to all tournaments going forward?

Maybe Naomi should hold a press conference to better explain and articulate her position. :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It is a part of a professional player to do press.if Osaka has been struggling on a mental basis there is help through the WTA for her or she can can professional help outside the WTA.
Osaka cannot just choose which tournaments she will do press going forward?
Osaka is the defending champion at the USO is she going to not do press there? I dont think so.

Ash Barty on doing press,

"We know what we sign up for as professional tennis players.I've never had problems answering questions or being completely honest with you guys.It's not something that's ever fazed me too much".

Last edited: