Nadal's gonna be world #1 again!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
rafanoy1992 said:
Kieran said:
2 is your lucky number? I'd take #2 as well, if it means he wins a major or two, but I have a feeling there's a void at the top now. Novak is showing natural signs of decline, and Andy is struggling to cope with being #1.

My big worry for Rafa is that he overdoes it, as he often does. I hope he finishes the clay season as strongly as he's begun it, and gets some rest after Wimbo...

Brother Kieran, it seems like Nadal becoming the number 2 ranked player in the world is closer than we thought...

If Nadal wins tomorrow, wins Rome AND at least reach the Roland Garros final then he surpass Djokovic in the rankings.

It does seems a lot for Nadal but it is in his beloved Clay so he could do it.

Also, the scenario I put above is based on Djokovic playing well in Rome and Roland Garros. If Djokovic exits early in either Rome or Roland Garros then Nadal's chances of being number 2 in the world increases by a lot...

Rafa has feck all points to defend after Paris anyway, so #2 is doable, but I think that #1 is on! :popcorn

The way Murray is playing, Berdych probably hasn't ruled himself out of contention.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The way rafa's playing now, even the Birdman isn't safe (although he's prolly safe to be #8 again someday, which is his goal)... ;)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at the rankings right now, I will update the scenarios:

Nadal does not have to win Rome in order to surpass Djokovic in the rankings after Roland Garros. As long he reaches the Rome quarterfinals AND win Roland Garros he will be the number 2 ranked player in the world on June 12.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:

Nadal does not have to win Rome in order to surpass Djokovic in the rankings after Roland Garros. As long he reaches the Rome quarterfinals AND win Roland Garros he will be the number 2 ranked player in the world on June 12.

If he wins RG, he will be the #2 all time grand slam singles titles holder :clap

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:

This is true no matter what Novak does?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Before everyone heads out the door tomorrow, let me leave us all with this profound memory of a thread that has traveled several forums - or is it deja vu all over again?

Rafa is gonna be #1 again... :popcorn

And it will travel another forum. All threads from TF will be merged to the new site. :cool:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer and Nadal finishing as #1 and #2 at the end of this year is certainly probable (no longer merely possible). If that happens it is almost a throwback to June 2005, when these two were first ranked #1 and #2. They held those spots till Aug. 2009 (with an exchange after Wimby 2008) . It would be ridiculous if these two manage to get a lock on the top two spots again for an year or more now.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
rafanoy1992 said:

This is true no matter what Novak does?

Yeap because the maximum points Novak can gain is 400 points in both Rome and in Paris. On the other hand, Nadal can gain a maximum points of 2730 points...

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Federer and Nadal finishing as #1 and #2 at the end of this year is certainly probable (no longer merely possible). If that happens it is almost a throwback to June 2005, when these two were first ranked #1 and #2. They held those spots till Aug. 2009 (with an exchange after Wimby 2008) . It would be ridiculous if these two manage to get a lock on the top two spots again for an year or more now.

"Probable" is perhaps too strong a word here. If Nadal wins RG, he is probably a lock for YE top 2. With Federer, it does look plausible, **if** he can keep up his strong form from the beginning of the year after his long break over the clay season. But he still depends somewhat on Murray and Djokovic to maintain their slump; if one of them wins Wimbledon + US Open they could easily overtake him, as could Thiem or Wawrinka if one of them wins a GS.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Everyone depends to everyone, how well or how bad they play. To me I'd be very happy if Rafa wins this RG and the USO and if later he could get the AO even much better than to reach #1

Reactions: Moxie

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal is now N°2 on ATP ranking

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Everyone depends to everyone, how well or how bad they play. To me I'd be very happy if Rafa wins this RG and the USO and if later he could get the AO even much better than to reach #1

Haha Carol, you don't ask for much. :)

If he wins USO this year, almost surely he will be #1 anyway. :)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I now that I'm asking too much but it would be great :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Let’s go! This is part 5 or 6 of this thread, whose origins are found deep in the history of tennis forums.

RAFA NADAL IS GOING TO BE WORLD NUMBER 1 AGAIN.

Who agrees with me?

1. Kieran
2. ???

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSicilian

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Let’s go! This is part 5 or 6 of this thread, whose origins are found deep in the history of tennis forums.

RAFA NADAL IS GOING TO BE WORLD NUMBER 1 AGAIN.

Who agrees with me?

1. Kieran
2. ???
Add me!

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just want Rafa to be injury free for the rest of 2022 and be able to play like he did before the 'ab injury' that forced him out of Wimbledon, it would be 'icing on the cake' he if reaches No 1....
'

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This thread is immortal. Looking forward to GOATdal reclaiming the no.1 ranking in the upcoming weeks/months.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1. Kieran
2. The Sicilian
3. Nadalfan2013
4. ??