Nadal's gonna be world #1 again!

N

NADAL2005RG

Even before Murray's so-called change I was expecting him to win Wimbledon in 2012. Why? Because the field around him was weaker than ever. Nadal wasn't there, Federer wasn't as great as previous years (although that's debatable) and Djokovic had lost some confidence after Nadal took him down at Roland Garros 2012. And Murray is a better wind player than Djokovic so no surprise he won that messy US Open last year. I think if you compare Murray from 2011 (when Nadal beat him at 3 slam events), there is virtually no difference. Heck, this year's US Open was one of his worst ever, and the AO final was a monumental collapse from a position of power in the first set and a half. I don't expect anything much from Murray in a slam meeting with Nadal next year.

N

NADAL2005RG

And the only way Djokovic gets back the #1 ranking is if Nadal doesn't do much in the AO and if Nadal again is upset early at Wimbledon. Nadal goes deep into those events (semi, final or victory) then I don't give Djokovic a chance. Or basically it all comes back to whether Nadal is injured. And Nadal will defend all or almost all his clay points, because even this year with a lot of rust he won a bunch of clay titles. Without a Nadal injury, Djokovic won't get the number one ranking back next year at all.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Heck, this year's US Open was one of his worst ever, and the AO final was a monumental collapse from a position of power in the first set and a half. I don't expect anything much from Murray in a slam meeting with Nadal next year.

:nono

Um, Murray just had back surgery shortly after the U.S. Open... (to me) that's a legitimate reason for the poor play. Write him off if you like, but it's not a smart thing to do.

N

NADAL2005RG

I never wrote Murray off from winning slams, only of beating Nadal (next year, anyway). If Nadal is upset early again, I'd favor Murray at Wimbledon. If Nadal didn't exist, Murray would be my favorite player, by the way.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
I never wrote Murray off from winning slams, only of beating Nadal (next year, anyway). If Nadal is upset early again, I'd favor Murray at Wimbledon. If Nadal didn't exist, Murray would be my favorite player, by the way.

I wasn't talking about slams. You wrote him off from beating Nadal and used his poor performance at the USO as an example. I disagreed. Murray is a much better player than when the two of them played two years ago.

N

NADAL2005RG

nehmeth said:
Murray is a much better player than when the two of them played two years ago.

That's where we agree to disagree.

If Murray 2011 played Djokovic 2013 at Wimbledon, I'd give Murray the win in straight sets.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
nehmeth said:
Murray is a much better player than when the two of them played two years ago.

That's where we agree to disagree.

If Murray 2011 played Djokovic 2013 at Wimbledon, I'd give Murray the win in straight sets.

Well, you've lost me, anyway. Weren't we talking about Murray v. Nadal? And if Murray 2011 played Djokovic 2013 in what match? Are you being ironic?

N

NADAL2005RG

Murray 2011 is the same level as Murray 2012 and Murray 2013. No notable improvements. The only reason why he's won slams is because Djokovic isn't a great wind player (2012 US Open) and the Djokovic you saw at 2013 Wimbledon was not very good (that's why I said 2011 Murray would also have beaten him in straight sets).

Murray's level in 2011 was the same as Murray's level in 2013. That clear enough for you? That is why I don't give Murray a chance of beating Nadal at a slam event in 2014 (and Nadal has actually improved since 2011).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol, yeah he really looks like the same guy who got trashed in every GS final and damn near every big match he played at a slam. Murray's forehand and belief is leagues better than it was 2 years ago, anyone would tell you that. Murray of 2011 doesn't beat Djokovic, Rafa, or Roger in a slam final (well maybe he beats the scrubby Roger we've seen this year, not that he would be in a final). History showed he didn't come close until 2012. You put Murray's forehand before Lendl on the one who played Djokovic this year and he still loses even with Nole playing poorly.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Murray 2011 is the same level as Murray 2012 and Murray 2013. No notable improvements. The only reason why he's won slams is because Djokovic isn't a great wind player (2012 US Open) and the Djokovic you saw at 2013 Wimbledon was not very good (that's why I said 2011 Murray would also have beaten him in straight sets).

Murray's level in 2011 was the same as Murray's level in 2013. That clear enough for you? That is why I don't give Murray a chance of beating Nadal at a slam event in 2014 (and Nadal has actually improved since 2011).

Clear as mud, Rocket Man. You really think there has been no improvement in Murray's game since 2011? I think you're reaching, but good luck with that theory.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The biggest difference in Murray's game now vs two years ago is psychological - he now knows he can beat the Big Boys when it counts. That, my friend, makes all the difference.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Lol, yeah he really looks like the same guy who got trashed in every GS final and damn near every big match he played at a slam. Murray's forehand and belief is leagues better than it was 2 years ago, anyone would tell you that. Murray of 2011 doesn't beat Djokovic, Rafa, or Roger in a slam final (well maybe he beats the scrubby Roger we've seen this year, not that he would be in a final). History showed he didn't come close until 2012. You put Murray's forehand before Lendl on the one who played Djokovic this year and he still loses even with Nole playing poorly.

Darth, reason is a foreign language to some, and we waste our time trying to speak it with them. :s

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:

wat.jpg

Nah.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldn't like Nadal to face Murray in Oz. I'd like Fed and Muzza to be in Nole's half, and if anyone thinks Murray isn't a danger, I recommend they watch the match Rafa played at Oz with Andy in 2007, I think it was. Andy is capable of turning over anyone, anywhere, except on clay...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
The best Murray has ever played was 2010 AO vs Nadal.

Nope, though that was a great match from him. The problem was it came in a quarterfinal and that's the point being made, it was a whole different Murray once he was on the big stage...until 2012.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
technically speaking, Murray is the same guy and his forehand hasn't changed from that standpoint. His APPROACH with the forehand has improved tremendously though, he is hitting it with authority more often.

Tennis is very mental to say the least, and Murray's approcah to big matches since adopting Lendl has improved dramatically as well. We saw this in his final lost to Roger at Wimbledon in 2012 and then it came full circle at the Olympics game.

nadal biggest fan has a point when it comes to Murray/Nadal match-up but sadly his out of this world rethoric (trolling) makes it a mute point. Murray has always play Rafa TOUGH, the problem was never mental in this case since Murray understood early in his career the only way to beat Rafa was to take it to him which he has done at the slam level. The problem for Murray in this match-up is that at the end of the day his forehand still the weakest shot among the big four (the problem it's technical) and Nadal knows this very well. He can't go DTL the way Novak can and that my friend it's a liability when facing Rafa.

N

NADAL2005RG

Murray looked so timid in the AO final this year. It was the most rapid collapse I've ever seen from him from a position of power in a match. And it began when a feather fell from the rafters. Its hard to believe, but that small delay may have triggered his collapse. I dream of a slam final between Nadal and Murray. Nadal deserves it.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
NADAL2005RG said:

wat.jpg

Nah.

:clap :laydownlaughing

I made the same face when I read the post... sans the red hair.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congats to the great Spanish Bull--#1 again after three years. Quite an accomplishment and, in some ways, tied for his best year ever with 2010. Simply outstanding. Vamos!