Nadal supports elimination of two serve rule

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
“I do not have a specific idea in my mind, but at some point, you should care about the serve. Players are getting bigger and the serve becomes even faster. If in the next years you will not find a solution, I am afraid that in the future sports will be only about power. [Abolishing the second serve] would not be a silly idea.”

https://www.thehindu.com/thread/spo...rovided-a-better-solution/article25632819.ece

Thoughts?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Is this even worth considering? Since his serve isn't any good he might as well hope to strip other players of their advantage. The ATP would look a lot like the WTA with a break % probably close to 40% if you took away the 2nd serve. Would play perfectly for the "concerned" Nadal.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's face it, he just answered a question. Another idea in the article is to get top players to extend their careers by playing more doubles and reviving the format, as kinder to the body. It's just another article on what tennis could do differently.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is this even worth considering? Since his serve isn't any good he might as well hope to strip other players of their advantage. The ATP would look a lot like the WTA with a break % probably close to 40% if you took away the 2nd serve. Would play perfectly for the "concerned" Nadal.

Nadal doesn't have a problem with big servers, he eats them for breakfast. He adjusts by standing far behind the baseline on the return and neutralizes their power. He's a tactical genius who adapts to his opponents. So it's not really about protecting himself, he's actually protecting other players who just get aced easily and therefore their matches are boring to watch. He is only protecting the future of tennis because when he's not playing most of the matches are boring with no rallies as everybody is serving aces. With Nadal, whether he faces big serves or weak serves, you will always get amazing rallies with amazing winners that get standing ovations. Have a nice day.

Reactions: Carol

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal doesn't have a problem with big servers, he eats them for breakfast. He adjusts by standing far behind the baseline on the return and neutralizes their power. He's a tactical genius who adapts to his opponents. So it's not really about protecting himself, he's actually protecting other players who just get aced easily and therefore their matches are boring to watch. He is only protecting the future of tennis because when he's not playing most of the matches are boring with no rallies as everybody is serving aces. With Nadal, whether he faces big serves or weak serves, you will always get amazing rallies with amazing winners that get standing ovations. Have a nice day.

He doesn't struggle with big serves? Someone has had their eyes closed during Wimbledon for awhile now. I don't blame you. But for the rest of us we've seen cream puff after cream puff send him to the showers in the early rounds.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal doesn't have a problem with big servers, he eats them for breakfast. He adjusts by standing far behind the baseline on the return and neutralizes their power. He's a tactical genius who adapts to his opponents. So it's not really about protecting himself, he's actually protecting other players who just get aced easily and therefore their matches are boring to watch. He is only protecting the future of tennis because when he's not playing most of the matches are boring with no rallies as everybody is serving aces. With Nadal, whether he faces big serves or weak serves, you will always get amazing rallies with amazing winners that get standing ovations. Have a nice day

giphy.gif

Reactions: DarthFed

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Making a mountain out of a molehill, as Moxie pointed out he answered a question presented to him.

Funny thing is, I think the tennis powers are aware of this and arguably have tried to somewhat address the issue of bigger serving but that gets lost in the “Federer is being unfairly penalized” lament when the courts being slowed down comes up.

Reactions: Moxie

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Making a mountain out of a molehill, as Moxie pointed out he answered a question presented to him.

Funny thing is, I think the tennis powers are aware of this and arguably have tried to somewhat address the issue of bigger serving but that gets lost in the “Federer is being unfairly penalized” lament when the courts being slowed down comes up.

Doubt the decision to slow the courts has to do with players having too big of a serve. The players with ridiculous serves (Isner, Ivo, Raonic, Kyrgios, etc) still get a lot of cheap points on everything but clay. For whatever reason they think the vast majority of fans want to see never ending rallies and battles of attrition. Maybe the majority of fans do want that...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
What else do you expect from a guy who proposed two year ranking rule that was clearly self-serving and has no logic?

Two chances at serve is an important rule that has to be maintained. Tennis will never be taken over by players who
are just big servers. The second serve helps the weaker serves more than the stronger servers. It is foolish to think
otherwise.

As the article says, it is true that players are getting injured more even though they are playing the same number of tourneys as in the past, due to the game being physical. But the game is physical, not just during serve. Modern game is quite physical even otherwise. For example, JMDP was hitting ground stroke winners at more than 100 mph (in USO 2009 final). So, what next? Do we want to ban players hitting shots at more than 100 mph? Obviously not.

The only change in rules that I would consider is the following: I would change the structure of Masters tourneys (to something like, but not exactly the same, what they have in WTA). Increase the number of Masters tourneys to 10 by adding a Grass Masters. Now, make five Masters Tourneys, viz., the one before each GS and the one before WTF, mandatory. Ask players to pick any three of their choice from the remaining five Masters. Finally, reduce the number of countable tourneys to 16 from the current 18. These changes would simultaneously both reduce the number of tourneys a player plays in and give them more choice in deciding which ones to play in.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's face it, he just answered a question. Another idea in the article is to get top players to extend their careers by playing more doubles and reviving the format, as kinder to the body. It's just another article on what tennis could do differently.

No he was not asked the question of "Is it a good idea to get rid of the second serve?". He volunteered that idea
to a presumed question about how to keep tennis by being taken over by stronger and taller players.

Also, the other idea about doubles, is one expounded by the author of the article. It was not suggested by Rafa. You were trying to make it appear as though the other idea was also that of Rafa's.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

No, he was not asked the question of "Is it a good idea to get rid of the second serve?" At best, he answered a (presumably) question about how to keep tennis from being taken over by stronger and taller players.

Finally, the other idea about doubles, is being expounded by the author of the article. It was not like Ralph suggested it. You are trying to make it appear as though it was.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
nothing new from dull.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, he was not asked the question of "Is it a good idea to get rid of the second serve?" At best, he answered a (presumably) question about how to keep tennis from being taken over by stronger and taller players.

Finally, the other idea about doubles, is being expounded by the author of the article. It was not like Ralph suggested it. You are trying to make it appear as though it was.
How do you know he wasn't asked this specific question? Firstly, the article cited offers a link to an interview with L'Equipe, but it doesn't link to it, so that's some shoddy journalism. Do I have to keep telling people how to read an article? And no, I'm not trying to suggest that Nadal proposed the doubles idea. I was specifically making the point that the article was about various changes, not just the headline one. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. I'll try to find the interview in French, which will perhaps shed some light. I can't believe guys still read these articles, which are barely more than blog posts, and go all hair on fire that the idea originated with the player or coach. In this day and age, still taking the internet at face-value? Tsk-tsk.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions

Why you gotta drag Fed's balls into this? Yea he answered, but he gave a damn good account of himself didn't he?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why you gotta drag Fed's balls into this? Yea he answered, but he gave a damn good account of himself didn't he?
He said, "I don't have a specific idea in mind." He was pretty clearly talking off the cuff. It's too bad that athletes sometimes need to be reminded that "no comment" is the better option, since so many outlets will make it into a headline, and turn it into their idea.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
He said, "I don't have a specific idea in mind." He was pretty clearly talking off the cuff. It's too bad that athletes sometimes need to be reminded that "no comment" is the better option, since so many outlets will make it into a headline, and turn it into their idea.

Or he could've said it's a ridiculous idea because serve is an integral part of men's tennis, no?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Or he could've said it's a ridiculous idea because serve is an integral part of men's tennis, no?
Sure, but you sit in a press conference and keep answering questions and see if you never say something that you'd like to have more time to think about. You call him an "egotistical prick," but that's mostly because you like to think so. These comments are not "harmful" to tennis. They are just so much noise, because it is journalists and bloggers that are mostly making them. The powers that be in tennis will decide what they want to do about changing the game, completely regardless of what the players think...that's been demonstrated time and again. BTW, the cite in the OP is just a blog, not a real news outlet. I don't know why we have to spend so much time on what is actually "fake news."

EDIT: I really can't find any reputable origin for this quote from Nadal. Nothing in L'Equipe, and the only other google search find is TennisworldUSA, which claims the interview was with Socrates Magazin, which appears also to be a blog, and I can find no interview with Nadal on their website. What are the chances he gave them an interview?

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
How do you know he wasn't asked this specific question? .

How do you know he was asked that specific question?

I can reasonably infer from the quoted answer of Ralph that the question must have been more general than "Do you support abolition of second serve concept?".

We can ask Isabelle to track down the L'Equipe article and translate the question for us.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How do you know he was asked that specific question?

I can reasonably infer from the quoted answer of Ralph that the question must have been more general than "Do you support abolition of second serve concept?".

We can ask Isabelle to track down the L'Equipe article and translate the question for us.
As I posted above, I can't find that L'Equipe interview. I will keep looking, but I would welcome @isabelle to find it and translate. I've also tried to track down the origin of the interview. All I've got so far is very suspect.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenn...d-serve-may-be-a-good-idea-says-rafael-nadal/

This article cites one in the "publication" below. Luigi Gatto at Tennis World isn't a fly-by-night, but there is no findable article such as he quotes, and he doesn't link to it.

http://socratesmagazin.de