Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2023 - WTA 1000

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well Iga complaining about scheduling is a bit too much.She coming off as a sour loser and then the winner complaining about cakes.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Iga complaining about scheduling is a bit too much.She coming off as a sour loser and then the winner complaining about cakes.
I didnt think Iga had to bring up the scheduling in her speech? it did come across as she was making excuses for herself, I remember the match she played and from memory did finish around 1am, still there was no need for it,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to Azarenka and Haddad Maia, beating Gauff and Pegula in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4.

(Is it me, or does Haddad Maia look strikingly like Bencic?)
I recorded this match, just watching highlights, I thought Coco and Jess looked flat in this final, maybe they should take a break from doubles and not play In Rome, well done to Vika and Bea they played well together and deserved the doubles title

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I didnt think Iga had to bring up the scheduling in her speech? it did come across as she was making excuses for herself, I remember the match she played and from memory did finish around 1am, still there was no need for it,
Well she didn't have to bring it up, but as Tossip says she's become a sour loser after getting to the top of the mountain. I'll be honest, I thought she was going to get teary eyed again. So instead she replaces crying w/ whining and complaining excuse making. :thumbs-down: Besides, welcome to #1, they will put you on at prime time to sell more tickets and she had better get used to it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well she didn't have to bring it up, but as Tossip says she's become a sour loser after getting to the top of the mountain. I'll be honest, I thought she was going to get teary eyed again. So instead she replaces crying w/ whining and complaining excuse making. :thumbs-down: Besides, welcome to #1, they will put you on at prime time to sell more tickets and she had better get used to it.
I agree, all players at times have played matches in the early hours of the morning, that cannot be helped at times, just have to accept it, to bring it up in a speech like she did, to me was unacceptable. Saba was the better player and she deserved her win
Iga will be under the pump as she has big points to defend in Rome and RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope other WTA Players take note !
Sabalenka said Iga motivated her to work harder!

"I remember all those sprints and running work outs. It was really tough for me, but I kept thinking if you want to beat Iga you have to keep running, you have to keep pushing yourself. First of all, its tough physically playing against her and secondly mentally. Because you feel like you don't have few games to drop your level. You always have to stay high with her".