Reactions
jhar26 said:
rugged said:
tented said:
Calvy said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Just so that people do not think the two rivalries mentioned are the same,
I do want to point some facts. Fed has a 10-23 record against. That means he
has won 43% of his matches against Rafa.

On the otherhand, Pova has a 2-15 record against Serena which works out
to 13%. I would tend to think that there is a ocean of difference between
13% and 43%.

Finally, one surface played a major role in the R-R rivalry. On the otherhand
the S-S non-rivalry is independent of surfaces. I am glad you bother to put
the "rivalry" in quotes.

Granted, Fed has won more matches than Maria, the point was/is, one player has a distinct mental advantage, this has led both "rivalries" being lopsided. For example, Federer doesn't even lead Nadal on fast surfaces anymore, so much for that one surface theory.

I'm glad you're putting the word "rivalry" in quotation marks, because this is a "rivalry" only in the minds of certain Sharapova fans, as well as sports commentators, who are trying to make it interesting.

And I completely agree about the mental factor being a huge part of it, like Federer and Nadal. One player is totally in the head of the other, preventing any substantive changes.

I actually like the way Pete Bodo frames it. He calls it the biggest non-rivalry there is. I think that captures it well.
Yes, but to be fair - Bodo is someone with an intense dislike for certain players and he doesn't let an opportunity go by without having a go at them, and Sharapova is one of his favorite targets. Besides - he's a blogger and the only way for a blogger to get attention is by being negative and controversial.

Having said that - he's of course right about this match-up, but it doesn't take Pete Bodo to figure that one out.

I agree with your thoughts regarding Bodo and his intense dislike for certain players and Sharapova is one of them.Bodo also wasn't fussed with Kim Cljisters either.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Maria's ball toss is also quite high and with these windy conditions she should make the necessary adjustments.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Maria's ball toss is also quite high and with these windy conditions she should make the necessary adjustments.

Yeah, Sharapova, Cibulkova and one the men's side Berdych all have huge high ball tosses like Steffi Graf used to have. Very difficult to control in windy conditions. Even without wind it's hard but after years of serving like this it's gonna be difficult to change.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sharapova's gotta be close to being over the time limit between serves. Painfully slow between the annoying glare down the end of the court, then the ball bouncing and followed up by the ultimate wallop into the middle of the net.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Just tuned in. Serena let her off the hook w/ those poor serves. She needs more foot preparation when it's windy so she can get behind the ball. She doesn't look like as if she wants to invest the energy in moving her feet.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yeah, her serve is gunk so far and a lot of loose errors. Screamapova's playing well though.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Only a matter of time before we see a game full of 3-4 DFs though.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yesterday one 17 GS person lost. Hope another 17 GS person does not lose today.

Dominatrix up a break now.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What is going on with Maria's fhand today.I have never seen her hit it so well.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
That was some 2nd serve! One of the best I've seen.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Terrible challenge and that serve was 121mph! As fast as the men's.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Another break and Serena will serve for the set. They both making too many errors for my liking. Hopefully this match will clean up.