Memorable sporting moments

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
This one is famous for all the wrong reasons and was courtesy of one of my all-time favorite players. "The Timeout"

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
One of the great finishes in college bball and capped probably the greatest Cinderella story:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Greg Lemond winning the Tour De France in 1989 by 7 seconds... Lemond was an incredible athlete with the second highest ever VO2 max reading of an athlete in any sport ever... He came 2nd in the 1985 tour after being ordered not to ride away from his teammate - French legend Bernard Hinault... won the tour in 1986 (after Hinault attacked him despite saying he would support Lemond in the 86 tour after Lemond had supported the frenchman in the 85 tour).

Lemond was shot by his brother-in-law in a hunting accident during 1986... nobody gave him much of a chance when he returned to cycling of winning the 1989 tour, largely because he was on a poor team and had no decent support riders.

He beat 2 time tour winner on the last stage... usually this is a procession into Paris... but in 1989 it was a time trial. Everything was up for grabs with Laurent Fignon (a 2 time winner) entering the stage with a 58 second advantage.

Lemond won the stage and the tour, riding the fastest time trial in TDF history.

Lemond would win the tour again in 1990... but then EPO (blood Performance Enhancing Drugs) became endemic in cycling... he finished 7th in 1991 before his career petered out due to passive doping (the effects of other riders doping)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"The Catch." Dwight Clark died last year.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I didn't think that one was so much for me, but gave it a look, anyway. That was entertaining as all hell! I did love that Bulls team.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the fight after which the world knew Tyson. Man... I still remember the spartan look... black boots, no socks. No frills... just pain... If Liston had even half this type of intimidation factor it must have been something as well...

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess this goes here. Mariano Rivera inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame today. First person ever to be voted in unanimously, and in his first year of eligibility. If there actually IS a GOAT in sports, it's Rivera. The greatest closer ever to play the game. And he was the last player ever to wear Jackie Robinson's #42. That seems fitting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is the fight after which the world knew Tyson. Man... I still remember the spartan look... black boots, no socks. No frills... just pain... If Liston had even half this type of intimidation factor it must have been something as well...

I wonder how good Liston could have been if he wasn't owned by the mob.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
almost forgot how gripping this particular final was....

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Looks like I have never chimed in this thread. If I restrict to Tennis and further restrict to the period since Roger started playing, I think the most interesting match that I ever was the 2006 Rome Fedal Final (even though I did not like the final result). If I were Wirthiem, I would write a book about this match instead of the 2008 Wimbledon final.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If the 2006 Rome final were the Roland Garros final I think it would have went down as the greatest match of all time.

Reactions: tented and mrzz

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If the 2006 Rome final were the Roland Garros final I think it would have went down as the greatest match of all time.

I never thought of it that way, but I suspect you’re right. Point for point, it was played at a higher level than the 08 Wimbledon final, and had the extra dramatic fifth set tiebreak, after Rafa saved two championship points.

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't expect anyone to watch the entire 3 hours plus video of the game, but this moment was special for a Marylander like myself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 27