Dominika Cilbulkova slates Maria Sharapova

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominika Cibulkova Interview translation from Savannah's Tennis:

'The tennis world has been shaken by Maria Sharapova's positive test for Meldonium. What is your say on this case and the Russian's reputation as an unpopular character in the players' locker room?'

'I was surprised that most of the reactions were so diplomatic, because everyone's opinion is actually totally different. I didn't make any statement, as I didn't want to be the only person to openly say what they think about this case. I will only say that I don't feel sorry at all for Sharapova and I don't miss her on the tour. She's a totally unlikeable person. Arrogant, conceited and cold. When I sit beside her in the locker room, she won't even say Hello.'

The original interview was in Czech.

http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/210094/dominika-cibulkova-sarapovovu-nelutujem-djokovicovi-nerozumiem/

cibulkova-3.jpg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, she certainly didn't pull her punches.

Here's an article from the NYPost with the headline: Why everyone in tennis hates Maria Sharapova

http://nypost.com/2016/03/29/why-everyone-in-tennis-hates-maria-sharapova/

Some real locker room gossip in it. Also mentions that, by coming forward herself and cooperating, there is speculation that her suspension could be shorten to weeks not years, but that is just speculation.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clearly not many of her peers are particularly disappointed by her absence.

If her ban is revised to weeks then it will be a complete farce.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was my misstatement. The report said "months" not "weeks," as opposed to years. I'd be surprised if we see her back in 2016. And not because the governing body has anything like a coherent position, but only because of the publicity. They just basically have to punish her to some obvious extent.