Lamest US Open in years??

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll always be nervous about a Berdych match. I still feel that when Roger is playing well 7 times out of 10 he beats him. In a way Tomas is the perfect hurdle for him. If he schools him, my confidence will rise exponentially

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
I'll always be nervous about a Berdych match. I still feel that when Roger is playing well 7 times out of 10 he beats him. In a way Tomas is the perfect hurdle for him. If he schools him, my confidence will rise exponentially

Definitely. Serving strong is key to beating Berdych as he returns Fed's 2nd serve like no one else out there and truly punishes them. Even if he doesn't hit service winners to weak 2nd serves, it's already got Roger out of the point from the get go with a hard hit ball from Mr. Easy Power. Roger 100% needs to be dictating play with a lot of decent first serves and aces too obviously. If he's not making a lot of 1st serves he's toast against Berdych.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Rafa and Delpo are missed but other than that I don't think it is the lamest USO in years. I really don't know what people expect, but we had a one young breakthrough - Thiem - most of top seeds are handling the opposition rather easily, there were a couple of 5-setters and now the quarters are really interesting. Just like many years before, imo.;)

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
according to rafas instagram he was gonna go sleeveless this year if he had played

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
crystalfire said:
according to rafas instagram he was gonna go sleeveless this year if he had played

Yup. He practiced in the new Nike sleeveless kit. I hate the fact he pulled out of the Open, but I am thankful for not having to put up with sleeveless nonsense.:laydownlaughing

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
crystalfire said:

I even read an article that the "real" loser was Nike, because they prepared to launch the new sleeveless tops Rafa was going to wear.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
crystalfire said:

I even read an article that the "real" loser was Nike, because they prepared to launch the new sleeveless tops Rafa was going to wear.

:snigger

Cue Mastoor for "Nike Doll" mantra.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
The US Open of 2014 is officially NO longer Lame. Wow.

:clap

- Nishikori winning competitive back to back 5 setters (one of which tied record for latest match; the Wawrinka match may end up being the best of the tournament)

- Federer coming back from 2 sets to love down, saving 2 MPs

No, not lame.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ You're one of the few who likes Rafa and Roger so I can see why the Fed-haters would call last night's result lame :D They're disgusted beyond words haha.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Luxilon Borg said:
The US Open of 2014 is officially NO longer Lame. Wow.

:clap

- Nishikori winning competitive back to back 5 setters (one of which tied record for latest match; the Wawrinka match may end up being the best of the tournament)

- Federer coming back from 2 sets to love down, saving 2 MPs

No, not lame.

Eloquently stated, and spot on!;)

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
I've enjoyed it this year. Good runs by Nishikori, Cilic, and Monfils. Also Dimitrov and Raonic finally establishing themselves as top 10 players. It's just nice to get new players to the top of the game. It'd be so cool if we got a Nishikori-Cilic final.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know about lamest, but this is certainly the crampiest US open.
We had cramps by Steve Johnson, Murray and Shaui Peng, not to mention many other
lesser players.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Greatest US Open Ever!

Regards,
127,000,000 Japanese people

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Greatest US Open Ever!

Regards,

Nations - as Strobe Talbott and Bill Clinton have said - are obsolete bogus constructs. There is no "American nation" or "Japanese nation". Borders are temporary and artificial. It is racist and parochial of Japanese people to be any more proud of getting to a Grand Slam final than they would be of Wawrinka or Djokovic getting there.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
El Dude said:
Greatest US Open Ever!

Regards,

Nations - as Strobe Talbott and Bill Clinton have said - are obsolete bogus constructs. There is no "American nation" or "Japanese nation". Borders are temporary and artificial. It is racist and parochial of Japanese people to be any more proud of getting to a Grand Slam final than they would be of Wawrinka or Djokovic getting there.

I see your point, but a bit extremely worded no? Racist?

There are cultures. And certain cultures have been more dominant in certain endeavors than others. Japanese people should absolutely be proud.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Cali, I hear you but I think it is misplaced, especially considering my post was a joke. But I think Luxilon makes a good point - there is nothing wrong with being proud of one's cultural heritage, and rooting for a player from your own geographic vicinity.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Cali, I hear you but I think it is misplaced, especially considering my post was a joke. But I think Luxilon makes a good point - there is nothing wrong with being proud of one's cultural heritage, and rooting for a player from your own geographic vicinity.

Dude, I was actually being sarcastic. I was mocking people who think nations are artificial constructs, especially as it pertains to the USA.