Lamest US Open in years??

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
Well, with no superstar in the final I probably won't even watch it. So yeah, I'd say lame. No inherent disrespect to Nishikori or Cilic, I just don't really care as much.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
lindseywagners said:
Well, with no superstar in the final I probably won't even watch it. So yeah, I'd say lame. No inherent disrespect to Nishikori or Cilic, I just don't really care as much.

It's unfortunate that the ratings will definitely be down since none of the big 3 are participating! Tokyo will have a hangover trying to stay up to see Kei!:clap :rolleyes: :angel:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know that it will be the lamest, but these semifinals were a joke in level of play from Novak and Roger at least go out in glory and not a wimper.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is the nature of the sports. Superstars are born, they shine and then they co-exist with other new superstars before they go in oblivion.
It is time to see who are the new superstars before the old ones vanish.
Like the OP sensed what the outcome will be, this is the most ...INTERESTING slams in many years (and not lame). But is out of ordinary, surely.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
This is the nature of the sports. Superstars are born, they shine and then they co-exist with other new superstars before they go in oblivion.
Like the OP sensed what the outcome will be, this is the most ...INTERESTING slams in many years (and not lame). But is out of ordinary, surely.

There won't be any new superstars for at least the next three years, if not the next five
years. There will be multitude of slam winner and chaos, just like in WTA for sometime before
the new superstars emerge.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You never know. Roger played already when Sampras and Agassi were around. Also, sometimes chaos is good. This is one of those cases. It is more intriguing.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:

There won't be any new superstars for at least the next three years, if not the next five
years. There will be multitude of slam winner and chaos, just like in WTA for sometime before
the new superstars emerge.

I'm not so sure..although on the surface it seems like 2003 again....

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
You never know. Roger played already when Sampras and Agassi were around. Also, sometimes chaos is good. This is one of those cases. It is more intriguing.

The BIG 4 made sure there never was much of a chance for chaos! In the old days, you had upsets like this all the time with "no names" in the final! We've been spoiled by Nole, Roger, and Rafa! This will be only the 2nd winner of a major outside of them since Delpo in '09 over Roger! :nono :puzzled :angel:

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
As I've said before on other threads---I think Novak is temporarily distracted from marriage/baby--and won't "be back" until the Australian Open.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
lacatch said:
As I've said before on other threads---I think Novak is temporarily distracted from marriage/baby--and won't "be back" until the Australian Open.

Age and ego is definitely catching up to Roger! This may have been his last great chance at #18! I had thought his road too easy and was tested all along the way; esp. by Monfils! I really never saw him making the final, but with what was left in the draw, he'll be tossing in his sleep because of it! :nono :puzzled :angel:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
lacatch said:

Age and ego is definitely catching up to Roger! This may have been his last great chance at #18! I had thought his road too easy and was tested all along the way; esp. by Monfils! I really never saw him making the final, but with what was left in the draw, he'll be tossing in his sleep because of it! :nono :puzzled :angel:

Speaking of lame: I disagree with both of the last 2 comments. I'm not sure it's fair to Nishikori's efforts to say that it's about Djokovic's life distractions, and it wasn't age/ego that specifically lost Roger his match today. Cilic shut him down.

Sorry about those like lindseywagners who think the final is too uninteresting to watch. I don't see why it can't be a really good match. It's the last man standing, and these are the last 2. OK, no grudges on offer, no drama about Major count. But we have to start building new narratives sometime.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I for sure will be watching the finals. Both play good game and I don't see why it would
be any less interesting for serious tennis followers.

For non-serious followers of tennis (i would assume that everyone who posts here
are serious followers), it may be boring without household names in the final.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
lacatch said:

In boxing, it often said a fighter gets old during the course of one fight...and it is true.
But not in tennis. I don't think anything caught up with Roger. He went as far as he could go after a long summer, and a pretty physical 5 setter.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Luxilon Borg said:
Fiero425 said:
lacatch said:

In boxing, it often said a fighter gets old during the course of one fight...and it is true.
But not in tennis. I don't think anything caught up with Roger. He went as far as he could go after a long summer, and a pretty physical 5 setter.

All the more reason Roger should be attacking the net more and cutting on these, long interminable rallies of 20+ strokes! In my day you had a few of those; now it's routine! :nono Roger can't allow no names to keep him on the court for 3 hour matches! I've been saying the same thing about Murray; cut off some of these points at the net! :puzzled :angel:

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Fiero425 said:
lacatch said:

All the more reason Roger should be attacking the net more and cutting on these, long interminable rallies of 20+ strokes! In my day you had a few of those; now it's routine! :nono Roger can't allow no names to keep him on the court for 3 hour matches! I've been saying the same thing about Murray; cut off some of these points at the net! :puzzled :angel:

Yeh, it's really easy...just absorb 110 mph ground strokes and stroll to the net.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Luxilon Borg said:
Fiero425 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Fiero425 said:
lacatch said:

Yeh, it's really easy...just absorb 110 mph ground strokes and stroll to the net.

Hmm, how well did he do staying on the baseline against Monfils and now Cilic? You have a marathon on one hand, then a drubbing from the baseline today! Hmmm, might have been an idea to attack thrown out there by his coach, Edberg!