Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome - WTA 1000

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What are your expectations for Serena..At this point I think almost everything is a positive..I couldn't really gauge her movements but she said that her and fitness team have put in the work..I really think it would have been prudent for her to begin her clay season a month ago. Serena has 23 grandslam titles and she knows her body.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What are your expectations for Serena..At this point I think almost everything is a positive..I couldn't really gauge her movements but she said that her and fitness team have put in the work..I really think it would have been prudent for her to begin her clay season a month ago. Serena has 23 grandslam titles and she knows her body.
This is first tournament back from the AO,I know she has been working hard on clay,she is not match fitness on clay,though I think she can find her way to win in her first match.I will take her matches one match at a time,this is really a tune up for RG,I dont think she needs to play too many clay tournaments,at age 39.

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is first tournament back from the AO,I know she has been working hard on clay,she is not match fitness on clay,though I think she can find her way to win in her first match.I will take her matches one match at a time,this is really a tune up for RG,I dont think she needs to play too many clay tournaments,at age 39.
There are SPECIAL players like Roger and Novak who can fall out of the bed and play a match. These two can reach their upper level of their God given abilities in 30-40 minutes.. Serena is very similar to Rafa's hit abilities.. needs repetitive balls and situation to get match tough..I think ten years ago, Serena could pull this off but it has been very evident that in the later rounds of a grandslam,, she is as mentally prepared as she needs to be. IMO

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Updated Schedule Wednesday 12th May,

Barty v Shvedova match has been moved to Pietrangeli court 1st match starting at 10am.

Sabalenka v Marathon Woman Sara Sorribes Tormo match has been moved to center court and will be the 2nd match starting at 10am.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Trying to watch Keys and Stephens repeat; a true ugly match! Sloane just didn't look motivated; seeming to only stay in the match because Madison was a mess out there making unfathomable UFE's! Stephens had a lead throughout, but couldn't finish even up a break in the 3rd! Keys was trying to give her another break, but Sloane wouldn't take it! :facepalm:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There are SPECIAL players like Roger and Novak who can fall out of the bed and play a match. These two can reach their upper level of their God given abilities in 30-40 minutes.. Serena is very similar to Rafa's hit abilities.. needs repetitive balls and situation to get match tough..I think ten years ago, Serena could pull this off but it has been very evident that in the later rounds of a grandslam,, she is as mentally prepared as she needs to be. IMO
I think at the AO this year she was in great physical shape,best she has been in a few years,sometimes in matches she comes out too hard and then cannot keep that level up for a full match,she needs to pace herself better,she runs out of steam to me,after producing a great first set.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Trying to watch Keys and Stephens; a true ugly match! Sloane just didn't look mptivated; seeming to only stay in the match because Madison was a mess out there making unfathomable UFE's! Stephens had a lead throughout, but couldn't finish even up a break in the 3rd! Keys was trying to give her another break, but Sloane wouldn't take it! :facepalm:
Sloane has not been motivated for years,as a LL she was lucky to be in the main draw,mind the pun,I have suggested she should retire,cannot believe how much her game has gone down the drain,as a GS title winner.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think at the AO this year she was in great physical shape,best she has been in a few years,sometimes in matches she comes out too hard and then cannot keep that level up for a full match,she needs to pace herself better,she runs out of steam to me,after producing a great first set.
Well that's what I am saying..being in great condition is vital but being match tough is essential. Remember a few years ago when Rafa decimated his draw but was not mentally ready to deal with Novak and he got totally dismantled..Being match tough gives you the confidence that if you are down in both the game or the set count you know you can eventually manage your nerves and hit through the ball. Go back and review the last 5 grand slam finals Serena has appeared in she wasn't a factor in any of the matches. As a matter of fact, she hasn't won a single set. That's lack of confidence,that is being lack of match tough and ready.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well that's what I am saying..being in great condition is vital but being match tough is essential. Remember a few years ago when Rafa decimated his draw but was not mentally ready to deal with Novak and he got totally dismantled..Being match tough gives you the confidence that if you are down in both the game or the set count you know you can eventually manage your nerves and hit through the ball. Go back and review the last 5 grand slam finals Serena has appeared in she wasn't a factor in any of the matches. As a matter of fact, she hasn't won a single set. That's lack of confidence,that is being lack of match tough and ready.
Is it really lack of match toughness when you've gotten through 6 rounds to make it to the finals? IMO Serena's trouble is she's thinking what the match signifies for her, legacy wise, during the match. Losing to these players, (especially Halep on grass) she has looked sooo tight, it's painful to see her struggling to both move and hit freely in those Major finals. Look at her SF loss at the USO with Roberta Vinci, that match had a very similar look to these finals. Osaka one could argue has as many weapons as Serena, but no one is going to tell me Halep, Kerber, & Andrescuu on paper should have won those finals. More than ever, I think by now it's a mental crutch with her.

What Serena can do is somewhat comparable to Federer, get herself in the best conditioning/preparation she can , survive through the last weekend, and then let the tennis gods have their fun.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I disagree with this. Serena was once the Queen of laying off, then winning a Major. Her issues can be fitness, though as Margaret says, she is back to better shape, and the incalculable problem between the ears in late career. The elusive #24 is an albatross. I do so hope she gets it, though.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The top seeds will start their matches Wednesday 12th May,

Center Court,
Matches starting at 10am,

A.Barty (1) vs Y.Shvedova is the second match

Not before 2.00pm

Serena Williams (8) will play her 1000th career match against Nadia Podoroska.

Grand Stand Arena,
Starting at 10am,

S.Kenin vs B.Krrejckova
S.Halep (3) vs A.Kerber

Pietrangeli
Starting at 10am,
A.Sabalenka (7) vs Marathon Woman S.Sorribes Tormo
N.Osaka (2) vs J.Pegula

Court 1
Starting at 10am,

Karolina Pliskova (9) vs A.Sevastova
P.Kvitova (11) vs V.Zvonareva (Q)

Court 2
Starting at 10am,

E.Svitolina (5) vs A.Anisimova
J.Brady (13) vs E.Alexandrova

Court 3,
Starting at 10am,

M.Sakkari (17) vs C.Gauff
I.Swiatek (15) vs M.Keys.
Interesting matches to me seem to be:

Pegula v. Osaka
Sabalenka v. Sorribes Tormo
Sakkari v. Goff

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting matches to me seem to be:

Pegula v. Osaka
Sabalenka v. Sorribes Tormo
Sakkari v. Goff
Seeing this is proper red clay I am also interested to see how other seeds handle this surface before RG

Svitolina v Anisimova,Halep defending champion v Kerber,Serena's match,Kvitova's match and also Barty's match

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree with this. Serena was once the Queen of laying off, then winning a Major. Her issues can be fitness, though as Margaret says, she is back to better shape, and the incalculable problem between the ears in late career. The elusive #24 is an albatross. I do so hope she gets it, though
The operative word is "once"...I know what I am talking about..Being match tough and in great shape are mutually exclusive...ask Fiero..
For Serena's sake. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serena rusty, but Podoroska played great. Sweet little gesture of respect to Serena when they met at the net.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking of WOW, watching Serena go down in flames to Podoroska; (who?)! After losing 1st set TB, she's down a break in the 2nd! She's holding on; barely!

Update:
Serena breaks so back on serve, 4-5! :astonished-face:
Not really for me.i don't think you are shocked either ..I mentioned you in an earlier post.