Internazionali BNL d'Italia- Rome ATP1000 - 14th May to 21st May

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay..explain to the new board how a 36 year old man takes off 6-7 months for a supposedly knee injury and comes back ..wipes out the entire tour with the lone exception of the number 116 ranked or whatever the guy was in DOHA and is otherwise unbeatCoughable..

You and Darth says it's because of a juicedCough backhand and aggressively play....Sampras was just as good but fathertime got the best of him but Roger has defied him..explain again Fronty

Said it many times before, AP, Sampras' dunks looked cool but they were obviously not good for his knees or back. Who in their right mind would jump miles into the air and land hard on the ground multiple times in matches on hard courts? Only someone who isn't seeing the big picture. No need to explain anything re Federer. He didn't wipe out the entire tour at all and struggled big time versus Wawrinka and had a tough match against Nishikori. The main difference was indeed the backhand and anyone can see that. Not only in rallies when he's cracking it much harder but the return of serve winners on his backhand. Up until this year he's been content to chip it back and it was a crap tactic against guys like Djokovic and Nadal. The slightly faster court at the AO helped too. He's been playing first strike tennis for years now and this is nothing new. There aren't many players out there with the skillset to hit winners from everywhere on the court, otherwise they'd all be doing it. He also needed quite a bit of time to get used to the bigger racquet head and the practice while off tour helped a lot. I also give Ljubicic a lot of credit for improving his backhand.

Reactions: atttomole

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No one could stand listening to all that grunting and screeching for best of 5 sets although some of the men are as bad. I don't believe the men get paid anymore outside the slams and why should they. But when it comes to slams the money should be paid appropriately based on the number of sets. Don't agree either about the men's count potentially going down if slams were best of 3 'cos the energizer bunnies on tour who have won so many matches due to their stamina would have to win fast which they're often incapable of doing.
Now you're just making stuff up and complaining about random things, like screeching and grunting, and you've admitted that the men do it. That's just defensive on your part. Men do get paid more outside of the Slams and they should, because the ATP has more money. In the tournaments where men and women both play, they should get paid equally. That's the point and it's pretty hard to defend otherwise. Tennis players don't get paid by the hour. Get over it. As to best of 3, it favors the upset. It's the long slog that favors the top player. Look it up.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Said it many times before, AP, Sampras' dunks looked cool but they were obviously not good for his knees or back. Who in their right mind would jump miles into the air and land hard on the ground multiple times in matches on hard courts? Only someone who isn't seeing the big picture. No need to explain anything re Federer. He didn't wipe out the entire tour at all and struggled big time versus Wawrinka and had a tough match against Nishikori. The main difference was indeed the backhand and anyone can see that. Not only in rallies when he's cracking it much harder but the return of serve winners on his backhand. Up until this year he's been content to chip it back and it was a crap tactic against guys like Djokovic and Nadal. The slightly faster court at the AO helped too. He's been playing first strike tennis for years now and this is nothing new. There aren't many players out there with the skillset to hit winners from everywhere on the court, otherwise they'd all be doing it. He also needed quite a bit of time to get used to the bigger racquet head and the practice while off tour helped a lot. I also give Ljubicic a lot of credit for improving his backhand.
If and when Roger falters at Wimbledon, I would like to see your posts. Krygios, Milos , Djoker and Stan will still be able to trouble him .Berdych may but I wouldn't bet the,farm on that weaklings..If he struggles the early rounds I have my doubts,otherwise what,you believe about first strike tennis and the juiced up backhand will prevail until the qtrs

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Roger Von Bottingen : “Manacor, we have a problem.”

Rafael De Manacor: “I know, I saw it. Novak is back in demolition business, no?”

This is all they said to each other before Rafa hurried to Schweitz in his Learjet to discuss this urgent matter with Roger over a freshly baked batch of apfelstrudel.

Nole gave away 6 games in 4 sets he played with Delpo and Thiem. I told you he was due for some demolition, I just thought it would happen a match earlier against rba.

It will be interesting to see if Nole can perform like that in the final as well and if he can push Zverev back like he did with Delpo and Thiem. Zverev will try to imitate his brother and to go to the net, but lets see where he ends up if Nole can repeat the good game.

Some people say the final will be Zver vs Zverev (zver means the beast )

Reactions: Mary

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Impossible to do direct comparisons between WTA and ATP... it's not comparing like with like.
I've always said that some comparisons stop at a certain point. I'm just laughing that Front (and even El Dude was vaguely entertaining it) are willing to put Evert as best, just to take Rafa down a peg. Front's not exactly a great admirer of the WTA, in general. Ah, the Fedal wars.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roger Von Bottingen : “Manacor, we have a problem.”

Rafael De Manacor: “I know, I saw it. Novak is back in demolition business, no?”

This is all they said to each other before Rafa hurried to Schweitz in his Learjet to discuss this urgent matter with Roger over a freshly baked batch of apfelstrudel.

Nole gave away 6 games in 4 sets he played with Delpo and Thiem. I told you he was due for some demolition, I just thought it would happen a match earlier against rba.

It will be interesting to see if Nole can perform like that in the final as well and if he can push Zverev back like he did with Delpo and Thiem. Zverev will try to imitate his brother and to go to the net, but lets see where he ends up if Nole can repeat the good game.

Some people say the final will be Zver vs Zverev (zver means the beast )
Mastoor, when did you take to writing fan fiction? This is a new you.

Reactions: Mastoor

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think Novak is doing so well but Thiem has helped him to look better because his game has been horrible, 10.000 errors trying to do as well as yesterday with Rafa (second parts never are the same) but nothing was working well today, he played an awful match. I don't know if he was exhausted or probably impossible to repeat the good shots which Rafa had a lot to do with that but the poor guy looked worse than any amateur

The only reason Thiem "has been horrible" a day he beat Rafa in starlight sets is because Novak pushed him far behind the baseline while he was bombing him from inside the court. Not that Thiem was injured or anything.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For someone who uses circumstantial evidence against some players (Nadal), this sounds defensive. Sampras had an even more economical style than Roger...he won with serve much more often. Yes, lower back issues, as Roger has. And the odd knee, though I don't think he's had surgery, as Roger has. 4 years to get used to a new racquet? That doesn't seem plausible. Nor does the Ljubicic-effect, tbh. You think Fed is so fabulous that you don't buy that his miraculous resurgence could look suspicious. However, everything Nadal does looks suspicious to you, and you don't hesitate to mention it. To me, you should weigh these things more evenly.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Back to Roma, Thiem says that he was today completely mentally empty, hope Zverev tomorrow will be mentally full

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I've always said that some comparisons stop at a certain point. I'm just laughing that Front (and even El Dude was vaguely entertaining it) are willing to put Evert as best, just to take Rafa down a peg. Front's not exactly a great admirer of the WTA, in general. Ah, the Fedal wars.
Best thing to stifle Front is for Rafa,to keep facing Roger on the grass..i would hope that its,gonna be high this year but I know they are,gonna make it very accommodating for Roger.. I always felt the last few,years,the dampness of Wimbledon air wrecked havoc on Rafa,aching injuries ..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is not too bad, apfelstrudel and stuff, no?
As long as you realize that, for now, we're still in the realm of fiction. Two confident matches in a year doesn't necessarily shake folks in their boots. I'll see your apfelstrudel and raise you a seafood paella. :drums:

Reactions: Mastoor

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Now you're just making stuff up and complaining about random things, like screeching and grunting, and you've admitted that the men do it. That's just defensive on your part. Men do get paid more outside of the Slams and they should, because the ATP has more money. In the tournaments where men and women both play, they should get paid equally. That's the point and it's pretty hard to defend otherwise. Tennis players don't get paid by the hour. Get over it. As to best of 3, it favors the upset. It's the long slog that favors the top player. Look it up.

No, the long matches favour the dopers. Since they can't get the job done fast enough as they lack the skill to win matches quickly due to poor tennis IQ and inability to hit winners, their only hope is to outlast their opponents by making them fatigue through endless retrieving and making them hit one more ball and then attempt to run away with the final set or sets in the case of best of 5. Why else was Sharapova cheating for years and yet everyone marveled at her 3 set "fitness" ?! Of course she's not a pusher or grinder, the polar opposite in fact. A ball basher. But she's lacking the fitness to win fair and square in matches so she had to cheat to win the longer ones by upping her "medications" before the big matches.

The women are clearly FAR worse when it comes to grunting and screeching btw. There's even been talk of them introducing an audible gruntometer to penalize the worst offenders but it'll never happen as they're too gutless to enforce it.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Wrong. I'm not an admirer of the current WTA but in the past it was great to watch. These days it's a pile of crap.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Best thing to stifle Front is for Rafa,to keep facing Roger on the grass..i would hope that its,gonna be high this year but I know they are,gonna make it very accommodating for Roger.. I always felt the last few,years,the dampness of Wimbledon air wrecked havoc on Rafa,aching injuries ..
I would love to see Rafa do well this coming Wimbledon. Even win it. His problem there is the low bounce on the ball and his achy knees. He should go in ranked 3-4 this year. With a decent draw, he could get into the second week. That's the game-changer he needs.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

The irony is it was crazy hot at Wimbledon last few years so the dampness you're alluding to was more in RG 2014 which he actually won. Wimbledon hasn't been a washout for quite a while now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wrong. I'm not an admirer of the current WTA but in the past it was great to watch. These days it's a pile of crap.
OK, then, and since tennis is a moveable feast, with players trending on both sides, then not, there is no reason not to give equal pay at the co-ed events. If women have ever been better then the men, as you concede, then they will be again. We can't pro-rate pay year-by-year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
For someone who uses circumstantial evidence against some players (Nadal), this sounds defensive. Sampras had an even more economical style than Roger...he won with serve much more often. Yes, lower back issues, as Roger has. And the odd knee, though I don't think he's had surgery, as Roger has. 4 years to get used to a new racquet? That doesn't seem plausible. Nor does the Ljubicic-effect, tbh. You think Fed is so fabulous that you don't buy that his miraculous resurgence could look suspicious. However, everything Nadal does looks suspicious to you, and you don't hesitate to mention it. To me, you should weigh these things more evenly.
Moxie , Front will always question everyone but Roger who is the poster boy for all his PED conspiracies..Roger has lost only one match in one full calendar year.But he chooses not to play RG, why. All the odds are in his favor. He is unbeatable

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I would love to see Rafa do well this coming Wimbledon. Even win it. His problem there is the low bounce on the ball and his achy knees. He should go in ranked 3-4 this year. With a decent draw, he could get into the second week. That's the game-changer he needs.
Moxie..Rafa has to beef up his serve, return serve and come forward..he hits the ball way too short to play defensively.