Internazionali BNL d'Italia- Rome ATP1000 - 14th May to 21st May

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
AP, if you paid attention you'd know that I sometimes chastise Front, who obviously gets rather wrapped up in his Rafa hatred.

Just keeping it real as always guys :) Those streaks will never be beaten.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is not about slam count it's about streaks. Chris Evert's streaks on clay were incredible. 189 out 190 matches won from 1973-1981 and 125 consecutive wins from 1973-1979. That's nuts. Talking only about her accomplishments on clay.

Again, Front, consider the gap between Evert, Navratilova, Graf, etc, and the rest of the WTA field. If you imagine talent on a curve, there's a steeper drop-off in the WTA than in the ATP, so it is easier to be more dominant.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Greatest clay court players ever:
1. Nadal
2. Borg
3. Everyone else

Is there a question?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not feeling too good about Sascha's chances against Novak. Could be another ugly beat down. I hope not, of course.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AP, if you paid attention you'd know that I sometimes chastise Front, who obviously gets rather wrapped up in his Rafa hatred.
El dude I know you able to perform Jedi mind tricks on ole Fronty,,,come on you know me better than that

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Greatest clay court players ever:
1. Nadal
2. Borg
3. Everyone else

Is there a question?
how can you not have Vilas on your list..btw.. he just won another clay tournament where he is the local pro in St. Petersburg, Fla..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Wouldn't use the term is given the age difference but otherwise, yes.
Even Chris laughed at the notion that Tennis Channel took a poll to see who was the better clay court player for historical purposes

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You are honestly rooting for Novak? I just threw up a little. Ugh. I have to wash my hands after replying to this post. I am so disappointed in you, Dude.
Did you expect something else of him? remember that most of Roger's fans are Novak's' 'fans' too B-)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Best clay player in history was Chris Evert but otherwise, yes, usually after a big win the next match is a dud from the guy who scored a big upset.
I was not talking about the women :finger:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Did you expect something else of him? remember Tahiti most of Roger's famas are Novak's' 'fans' too B-)
The tennis this week has been interesting not spectacular but good.. Novak was at his very best today and will move back as one of the top threats in two weeks..

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Very true.. that's why I didn't buy all that Novak's form now is a shell of what he Blah.,Blah Blah.. Because Rafa defeated him in Madrid, the anti Nadal fans predicted Novak's demise which is why I didnt respond..Novak knows how to win matches.. He is one of the best ever and he just as I stated has a blimp in the road but still very capable of defeating anyone

Rafa he is starting to take care with his body and it's about time, he knows what he is doing

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Not feeling too good about Sascha's chances against Novak. Could be another ugly beat down. I hope not, of course.
If you dont think that Sasha is gonna get whipped, than you haven't been paying attention.. everything Sasha does plays right into Novak's strengths.. Obviously Thiem had a let down after defeating the KOC. it may be go deep into each set but Novak will prevail

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What about grass court tennis all time rankings?

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If you dont think that Sasha is gonna get whipped, than you haven't been paying attention.. everything Sasha does plays right into Novak's strengths.. Obviously Thiem had a let down after defeating the KOC. it may be go deep into each set but Novak will prevail
This is surely the best Nole has played all year. Terrible beatdown on Thiem. We'll see if Novak is yet in a place to keep it up like this tomorrow.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Back to Novak, yes, it is only one tournament, but I'm definitely starting to worry a bit about Wimbledon. If this Novak shows up, it won't be such smooth sailing for Roger. I'm already worried that Roger will come back rusty, although he has Stuttgart and Halle to play himself into grass form. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Roger come back at a lower level than earlier this year. Obviously I hope not, but the dude is 35 after all.

If Novak plays well in Roland Garros, he might sneak past Roger as favorite for Wimbledon.
Novak has what's bothering Roger at Wimbledon,, the ability to extend the point. Even with the juiced up backhand..Roger will struggle against Novak.. Novak hits the ball deeper and flatter in the rallies to Roger's backhand and forehand.. Roger isnt gonna be able to drive the bus.. go back and watch their past 2-3 meetings on grass.. same formula

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The tennis this week has been interesting not spectacular but good.. Novak was at his very best today and will move back as one of the top threats in two weeks..

Well, remember that four days ego Wawrinka was the one ready to win RG, yesterday Thiem, today Novak but if Zverev would win tomorrow then he will B-)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak has what's bothering Roger at Wimbledon,, the ability to extend the point. Even with the juiced up backhand..Roger will struggle against Novak.. Novak hits the ball deeper and flatter in the rallies to Roger's backhand and forehand.. Roger isnt gonna be able to drive the bus.. go back and watch their past 2-3 meetings on grass.. same formula

Roger's main problem at Wimbledon the past ten years has been his ROS. It has been quite pathetic and I'm hoping his new aggressive mindset on that shot (instead of chipping it back) will pay dividends. I hear you about Nole's depth giving Fed a lot of trouble though and that's regardless of the surface. But if Fed can return Nole's serves like he's done against better servers this year he will have the edge at Wimbledon and even USO in a potential meeting.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Again, Front, consider the gap between Evert, Navratilova, Graf, etc, and the rest of the WTA field. If you imagine talent on a curve, there's a steeper drop-off in the WTA than in the ATP, so it is easier to be more dominant.

Not disputing ATP is much tougher than WTA but how many years have gone by since the 70's and have we seen any female or male player win anything even close to that many consecutive matches on any surface? That's a resounding no. It's not about slam count but the best player player on a given surface. Serena Williams may have won tons more slams than Evert but she couldn't win 125 consecutive matches on clay in her dreams and neither could any of the other women currently out there so Evert was clearly superior to any player in history on clay imo.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I was not talking about the women :finger:

Best player in history doesn't distinguish between male and female. I merely pointed the player who has clay stats that put everyone's to shame, even Nadal's.