High level match fixing in tennis

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
A report on the BBC website:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/tennis/35319202?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Say it ain't so... :nono

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/tennis/35319202?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

:(.. Though i do believe it happens in every sport..but i never expected top tier in tennis to be involved in this..

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

I knew Roger must have thrown all his RG finals matches to Rafa. :snicker

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Its unfortunate they don't have enough evidence to name names. Using the Davydenko match as the example might not help in having it resonate with the layman.
I would really like to hear some names if there are people in TOP 50 doing This... it's pretty egregious if so.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
golds girl said:
Its unfortunate they don't have enough evidence to name names. Using the Davydenko match as the example might not help in having it resonate with the layman.
I would really like to hear some names if there are people in TOP 50 doing This... it's pretty egregious if so.

If you read the article, they clearly say that BBC and buzzfeed cannot name names as one needs further info about their bank accounts etc which they cannot obtain. But, TIU has the authority to subpeaona them. The question is whether they really want to do it. The ATP chief was interviewed today on ESPN about this. It did not look to me as if they want to seriously go in depth into this.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are some leaked info.

1. 16 top 50 players are involved. That is a lot.

2. At least half of them are still active and present at AO 2016.

3. A USO Singles Champion is involved.

4. A Wimbledon Doubles Champion pair is involved.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Here are some leaked info.

1. 16 top 50 players are involved. That is a lot.

2. At least half of them are still active and present at AO 2016.

3. A USO Singles Champion is involved.

4. A Wimbledon Doubles Champion pair is involved.

16 players who were top 50 at one point or another. I know it seems like a small difference... still it broadens the pool slightly.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
TIU has the authority to subpeaona them. The question is whether they really want to do it. The ATP chief was interviewed today on ESPN about this. It did not look to me as if they want to seriously go in depth into this.

A similar situation with some of the doping issues.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is horrific if even partly accurate.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, this is not a good thing for tennis to say the least. I am really curious who the slam champion would have been.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
In articles like these, I have noticed that they always keep talking about players ranked 100-200 and even further, but no one ever mentions the possibility of a top guy doing it. This is really shady stuff, and we will likely never know the truth about this. The situation is the same when we talk about doping. Unfortunately (or fortunately for some), as I said, we mortals will likely never get close to the truth about this unless someone rats out or comes clean.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Riotbeard said:
Yeah, this is not a good thing for tennis to say the least. I am really curious who the slam champion would have been.

Cough-drop?

That would mean it was Nishikori who fixed it for him to win though. In reality I think that juiced up mofo just ripped everyone a new a$$hole that tournament from the matches against Roger onwards. Doubt it was him.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Riotbeard said:

Cough-drop?

Plus it sounded like the Champion had already won by the first expose in 2007.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
nehmeth said:
Riotbeard said:

Cough-drop?

That would mean it was Nishikori who fixed it for him to win though. In reality I think that juiced up mofo just ripped everyone a new a$$hole that tournament from the matches against Roger onwards. Doubt it was him.

They are only saying a US-Open champion is also involved. Does not mean that the champion did it in that tournament. Obviously, he did not do it in that tournament as he won that tournament.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Much ado 'bout nuthin'. Some folks trying to stir up a bunch of shit.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:

I knew Roger must have thrown all his RG finals matches to Rafa. :snicker

ROTFLMAO. Yeah. Just like Roger threw his last 3 Slam finals to Nole. :rolleyes:

These are some serious allegations and while "fixing" occurs at every level of sports it's pretty obvious that they're NOT talking about the handful of elite players who have won Slams over the last 10-13 years. That's a very small group - 7 guys - and it's hard to imagine Fed, Nadal, Nole, Murray, Del Potro, Stan or even My-mother-gave-it-to-me-I-thought-it-was-an-aspirin-Cilic involved in "fixing" a Slam final. If these guys were "fixing" matches you'd think more than 7 of them would have been able to win a Slam title.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
nehmeth said:
Riotbeard said:

Cough-drop?

Plus it sounded like the Champion had already won by the first expose in 2007.

That's what I got out of it, but who could it have been? They said they were going back 10 years. That puts the investigation around 2004 or 2005. Four guys won all the Slams in those years - Federer won 5, Nadal won the French in 2005, Gason Gaudio won the French in 2004 and Safin won the Aussie in 2005. If they're saying it was before 2004, if you go back to 1998 then you have Rafter, Sampras, Hewitt, Gaston Gaudio, Juan Carlos Ferrera, Albert Costa, Marat Safin, Gustavo Keurten, Agassi, Carlos Moya, and Goran Ivanisevic. And truthfully - if they're digging up guys from 1998? Who the hell cares? They don't play anymore. :rolleyes: Including alleged "grand slam winners" could be, "...all sound and fury signifying nothing."

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Nadal, Brown and Front are going to jail. Shame on you!

For the ones who haven't noticed, I am joking.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole said someone asked him to lose once but he of course refused. Clément refused too. Can't wait to have the cheater's list. It could be surprising