Greatest winning streak in tennis history!

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
I was reading online various list of greatest sports streaks, and I saw a few tennis streaks that were on the list. For example, Federer's 23 straight semifinal appearances was on the list, Nadal's 81 straight wins on clay was on one list, and Navratilova 84 match streak was on another.

Personally, the greatest streaks are Chris Evert's 13 year streak of at least one slam per year, or making the semifinals of the first 32 slams she played or the 125 match win streak on clay.

What is your opinion as to tennis' greatest streak?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
can't compare different league with such numbers, nobody equated Edberg's junior Grand Slam to Laver's. Whatever Evert or Navratilova have doesn't matter, it's done in minor league and can only be looked at on its own merit. Oh our club champion never lost a match in club matches, so he must be the greatest ever?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One of the Federer fans around here once said that a QF streak, or likewise Chrissie's SF streak, I guess, are just signs of consistency. I'd go with a proper streak of titles. Those are all good ones. Also, Roger had a 65-match streak on grass, which isn't easy, given how few tournaments are played on the surface.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
ricardo said:
can't compare different league with such numbers, nobody equated Edberg's junior Grand Slam to Laver's. Whatever Evert or Navratilova have doesn't matter, it's done in minor league and can only be looked at on its own merit. Oh our club champion never lost a match in club matches, so he must be the greatest ever?

And it's duly noted, you don't respect or like women's tennis.

Yet, you still haven't given an answer to the thread.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

don't get political so quickly. The same rule applies to all leagues, not women only so don't play the victim.

personally i think Borg's RG streaks combined with wimbledon streaks are almost unsurpassable.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer going to 10 straight GS finals in a row, then missing one (SF loss to Novak in 2008) and then having the NEXT longest such streak (8 slams in a row). So, he went to 18 GS finals out of 19 played in. It is beyond astounding.

The next closest (in terms of slams played in, not consecutive slams in a year) is Borg with 6 straight from 1979-1981. Lendl, Rafa and Nole have each gone to as many as 4 in a row. This kind of puts things in perspective about Federer versus history.

Chrissie winning 125 straight clay court matches over about five years. That is up there. Then there is Rafa winning 81 straight on clay. Then there is Federer's 65 straight grass court wins, and owning the consecutive hard court win streak of, if memory serves me, 56 straight on hards.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

don't get political so quickly. The same rule applies to all leagues, not women only so don't play the victim.

personally i think Borg's RG streaks combined with wimbledon streaks are almost unsurpassable.

No politics, you have shown your disdain for women's tennis, or as you stated, women's sports in general time and time again. This time instead of giving an answer initially, you just dismissed women's tennis.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It could easily be a tie between Chrissie's 125 and Fed's grass/hard court streak.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually, Graf made it to 13 straight slam finals and Navratilova made it to 11 straight slam finals. Martina owns the record for most consecutive slam semifinals appearances (19), which means we should also consider Roger's streak of 23 straight slam semifinal appearances.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Calvy said:
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

No politics, you have shown your disdain for women's tennis, or as you stated, women's sports in general time and time again. This time instead of giving an answer initially, you just dismissed women's tennis.

Disdain for women's tennis? don't get political here, I liked Graf, Seles (strange right?), Hingis, Maria and several other small names. I call it what it is, don't really want to let sentiment get in the way of truth. If you can't compare results from juniors, seniors, clubs or nations to ATP, then WTA doesn't qualify either.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

Disdain for women's tennis? don't get political here, I liked Graf, Seles (strange right?), Hingis, Maria and several other small names. I call it what it is, don't really want to let sentiment get in the way of truth. If you can't compare results from juniors, seniors, clubs or nations to ATP, then WTA doesn't qualify either.

ok, cool! your opinion is duly noted.

shawnbm said:
Actually, Graf made it to 13 straight slam finals and Navratilova made it to 11 straight slam finals. Martina owns the record for most consecutive slam semifinals appearances (19), which means we should also consider Roger's streak of 23 straight slam semifinal appearances.

Very impressive stats for both women.

BTURNER

Club Member
Reactions
Evert stayed ranked in the top three in the world every year from 1973-1988.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

But you are being political. You are denigrating their league, when it's different players of a different sex with slight differences in physicality (slight in general but important in high level athletics). No one denies there are biological differences between men and women that affect tennis play (bone structure, height, etc.). But I think the idea that their streaks are invalid in comparison, when you are talking about WTA vs. ATP is simply foolish. Difference does not constitute a minor league. Both tours are equal playing fields, so there is no reason why you can't compare various achievements/streaks.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

But you are being political. You are denigrating their league, when it's different players of a different sex with slight differences in physicality (slight in general but important in high level athletics). No one denies there are biological differences between men and women that affect tennis play (bone structure, height, etc.). But I think the idea that their streaks are invalid in comparison, when you are talking about WTA vs. ATP is simply foolish. Difference does not constitute a minor league. Both tours are equal playing fields, so there is no reason why you can't compare various achievements/streaks.

Bravo, RB!

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

foolish is what's above. ATP is above WTA simply because the players are better in general, that's what always defines a better league (or how else?). Who cares about biological differences? there can be no concessions when we are talking 'absolute level/ability', and of course WTA and ATP are not equal playing fields - even thinking that is idiotic, we are talking two groups of players so by definition they are not 'equal'.... geez you just contradicted yourself and you think you have an argument? :laydownlaughing

btw nobody is denigrating anybody, if WTA players are better than ATP players then WTA is above ATP. That's just a fact of life, i don't need to suck up to this kind of stinking agenda that's been in fashion.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Riotbeard said:
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

Bravo, RB!

Bravo thank you for fulfilling my feminist agenda with such blind argument, i don't care about the truth i just wanna hear whatever suits me and make me go high high high :laydownlaughing

i am moxie :D

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ricardo said:
Riotbeard said:
ricardo said:
Calvy said:
ricardo said:

foolish is what's above. ATP is above WTA simply because the players are better in general, that's what always defines a better league (or how else?). Who cares about biological differences? there can be no concessions when we are talking 'absolute level/ability', and of course WTA and ATP are not equal playing fields - even thinking that is idiotic, we are talking two groups of players so by definition they are not 'equal'.... geez you just contradicted yourself and you think you have an argument? :laydownlaughing

btw nobody is denigrating anybody, if WTA players are better than ATP players then WTA is above ATP. That's just a fact of life, i don't need to suck up to this kind of stinking agenda that's been in fashion.

I said both tours are equal playing fields. As in internally, so a female player dominating the wta, is no less impressive than an ATP player dominating the ATP.

We are talking about comparing streaks, not which league is better. That's a issue you just brought up.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kiu said:
Martina's unbeaten match winning streak has to be it!

It's the most impressive since it encompassed all surfaces; indoor carpet, FO clay, Wimbledon grass, & USO HC! She was the most complete player of her generation and extended that greatness with her doubles play in every major! She'll probably be the last to have "The Box Set" with all available majors under her belt! No one else comes close; even her namesake Hingis who won the GS in women's doubles!

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
No need for vitriol here. It's easy enough to make statements properly, justly, and inoffensively.

Evert's streak of 125 straight matches on clay is the best single surface streak in women's singles tennis.

Nadal's streak of 81 straight matches on clay is the best single surface streak in men's singles tennis.

Esther Vergeer was undefeated in women's wheelchair tennis since January 2003 and ended her career on a winning streak of 470 matches. In singles and doubles she won 42 slams, and was #1 for 668 weeks and over 12 years consecutively. She was probably the single most dominant player in pro sports. She retired early this year.

Each of these players played in different leagues. Whether one had more or less wins in their streaks than the other doesn't make their accomplishments more or less meaningful in their own realm nor are they comparable except in the most general of terms, as in the women's wheelchair streak is longer than the women's streak which is longer than the men's and that only means the player was that much better against their competition in their league.

Respectfully,
masterclass