Greatest of their generation ........?

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
On the other tennis site, some of us were wondering if Serena and Venus were removed from the "tennis equation" which player or players would we be saying is the greatest of this tennis generation? Some names mentioned included Henin, Davenport, Hingis, Jennifer, Kim, Dementeiva etc. Who would have benefited more if Serena and Venus had not dominated women's tennis during the last 10-12 years?

toshiroh

Reactions
It would clearly be Henin... no questions asked. She's the best of the Generation after Serena and Venus IMO, but some put her over Venus

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Venus is more accomplished because of Wimbledon,Gold medals in doubles and singles...and their h2h 7-2 in favor of Vee...lots of Grand Slam doubles.....h2h sums it all 7-2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:
Serena and Venus did dominate WTA tennis.
Henin and Hignis came close...

I don't actually see how Henin and Hingis are close. I see them as very much of their own eras, but not stretching history. I think both Henin and Hingis could have been more than they were, but both quit for different reasons, and didn't really cut it in the "head" department.

Venus and Serena now stretch across a couple of eras in women's tennis. Think of the women they have played who have stopped featuring or retired: Capriati, Henin, Hingis, Mauresmo, Cjlisters, Jankovic, Safina, Myskina, Dementieva...and Serena is still considered the player to beat in the next Slam. That's impressive.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Personally, I think Davenport, Henin and Hingis would have benefited the most if Serena and Venus were not around during their era. I remember Lindsey losing some epic matches to both sisters, while Henin could have also accomplished much more. The sisters and other big hitters drove Hingis from the game much too early. Although she is still playing, IMO I believe that Maria would have at least 3-4 more slams if the sisters were not around.