Great Sporting Moments

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Twisted said:
Always going to be GB winning Super Bowl 31. I was young and the excitement of watching football, while still there, is not quite the same as we aged. That was a dominant season so it was not a big surprise like the Packers winning Super Bowl 45 was (which is 2nd place of course). Aside from that and Roger winning RG in 2009 and the 2012 Wimbledon final I’d probably say Jordan winning his last championship in epic fashion is probably at the top. I was rooting for a game 7 and was actually intrigued to see if the great man could be defeated in a series. But when you look back at that game given MJ is easily the greatest athlete I’ve ever seen it is certainly a “great moment” Others: Sampras vs. Corretja in 96 USO, GB vs. Raiders the day after Favre’s father died of a heart attack and I’m sure dozens of others I’m forgetting.

Remember SB31 pretty clearly, I stayed up and watched it in the UK and was also working alongside some American Boeing contractors at the time and the general sentiment was pretty pro-Green Bay.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I might be a little biased but that team was quietly one of the best in NFL history.  They outscored opponents by an average of 29-13 for the season, and to my knowledge they are still the only team in NFL history to lead the league in points scored and fewest points allowed and they also had probably the best special teams.  They get docked for a couple reasons:  1. Their record of 13-3 while great is not anything out of the ordinary like 15-1 and 2. they didn't repeat or even win another Super Bowl that decade.

They were 14 point favorites in the Super Bowl and it was a 14 point game.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Twisted said:
I might be a little biased but that team was quietly one of the best in NFL history. They outscored opponents by an average of 29-13 for the season, and to my knowledge they are still the only team in NFL history to lead the league in points scored and fewest points allowed and they also had probably the best special teams. They get docked for a couple reasons: 1. Their record of 13-3 while great is not anything out of the ordinary like 15-1 and 2. they didn’t repeat or even win another Super Bowl that decade. They were 14 point favorites in the Super Bowl and it was a 14 point game.

Ah, that's because you had Raider legend Ron Wolfe calling the shots in the front office B-)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Britbox said:
Twisted wrote:
I might be a little biased but that team was quietly one of the best in NFL history. They outscored opponents by an average of 29-13 for the season, and to my knowledge they are still the only team in NFL history to lead the league in points scored and fewest points allowed and they also had probably the best special teams. They get docked for a couple reasons: 1. Their record of 13-3 while great is not anything out of the ordinary like 15-1 and 2. they didn’t repeat or even win another Super Bowl that decade. They were 14 point favorites in the Super Bowl and it was a 14 point game.
Ah, that’s because you had Raider legend Ron Wolfe calling the shots in the front office
wpml_cool.gif

Absolutely! He helped turn the franchise around. I just wish he and Holmgren could've checked their egos. Holmgren bolted to Seattle because he wanted to be coach and GM. Wolf of course didn't want any of that and then went ahead and surprisingly retired a year or 2 after Holmgren left. If he had told Holmgren of his plans I think Mike may have stayed and the Packers would've been better off by a long shot. Regardless I can't complain about either Holmgren or Wolf. Wish they were still around even!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Twisted said:
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
Twisted wrote:
Ah, that’s because you had Raider legend Ron Wolfe calling the shots in the front office
wpml_cool.gif
</blockquote>
Absolutely! He helped turn the franchise around. I just wish he and Holmgren could’ve checked their egos. Holmgren bolted to Seattle because he wanted to be coach and GM. Wolf of course didn’t want any of that and then went ahead and surprisingly retired a year or 2 after Holmgren left. If he had told Holmgren of his plans I think Mike may have stayed and the Packers would’ve been better off by a long shot. Regardless I can’t complain about either Holmgren or Wolf. Wish they were still around even!

Wolfe was a Raider legend in the front office... apparently he appeared out in the sun so infrequently, there was chatter surrounding his actual existence. He was a huge part in making the Raiders such a success in the 70s and early eighties. Working for Al Davis took it's toll though.

He had been helping Mark Davis, along with John Madden shortly after the old man's death in an advisory role. Must be pushing 80 now though?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes he is 77 now.  He retired around 1999 or 2000 so he was already early 60's.  It still was a surprise when he left, between that and Holmgren leaving the Packers struggled for a few years as Favre well...couldn't be reeled in. Eventually Favre got it going again and they drafted this Aaron Rodgers fella.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NRL Grand Final was a pretty amazing finish. North Queensland tying the match on the last play of the game in the final second. They missed the conversion but kicked a field goal in extra time to the title.