Grasscourt joy: Queens/Halle upgrade 2015 to ATP500 Tourneys.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As a 3 week gap between FRENCH OPEN and WIMBLEDON is introduced from 2015 also will be 2 atp250 grass tourneys morphing into 500 events, joining the usual gaggle of 500 events already happening.

from the ATP site.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's good news but...I wish they'd make Queens 1000 event. It's really a prestigious tournament and grass could do with a MS level tourney...

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think Queen's deserved more but any upgrade is still welcome.

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/LTA-summer-grass-court-events/Aegon-Championships/News/2013/Aegon-Championships-to-become-ATP-World-Tour-500-event-from-2015/

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
It's good news but...I wish they'd make Queens 1000 event. It's really a prestigious tournament and grass could do with a MS level tourney...

Queen's Club can't be upgraded to a Masters because it doesn't have the required facilities to handle that many players. The ATP has very specific guidelines about such things in order to be certain the tournament can meet the needs of everyone.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

Queen's Club can't be upgraded to a Masters because it doesn't have the required facilities to handle that many players. The ATP has very specific guidelines about such things in order to be certain the tournament can meet the needs of everyone.

That's interesting. Paris only has 48 players, but Queens is even less equipped? I wonder, if they renovated would it make a difference?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
tented said:
Kieran said:

That's interesting. Paris only has 48 players, but Queens is even less equipped? I wonder, if they renovated would it make a difference?

It depends on the extent of the renovations. I don't remember in which areas they're deficient, but you can imagine just looking at it. Queen's Club is technically a pretty small, private club. They don't have the number of gyms, locker rooms, courts, spectator seating, etc. needed for the number of people a Masters would attract.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Halle should be the theoretical ms 1000. Germany doesn't have a big tournament. England has 2!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think what tented is saying applies to Halle, too. I was reading about it last summer.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is great news. This is what I have been advocating for since they announced
the extra week of grass.

Tented is right that Queens does not have sufficient facilities. I am not sure of
Halle though; they have made huge renovations recently.

Independent of the facility issue, I do not want either of them to be ATP 1000.
Even though there will be 3 week grass lead up to Wimby, top players will still be
playing in only one week of these 3 weeks (as they will go deep in FO and they
don't like to play the week before GS). Hence, it is better for them to split them
and carve their own territory. If one of them were made ATP 1000, then all
top players would be forced to play it and I don't like that.

If the Grass Season was about 5 or more weeks longer (which will never happen),
I would support an ATP 1000. With a 3 week grass lead up to Wimbledon, I definitely
like two parallel ATP 500.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the sites at halle and queens are to small to be a masters1000.

those places need more of everything apart from new courts/seating..its never going to happen at those sites.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Does anyone know what is the other ATP 250 tournament that is moving to
Greener Pastures. Stuttgart has already announced it is converting. The other one
is not yet officially announced as far as I know. The rumor is that it is going to
be Gastad or Bastad, can't remember which one.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This would mean that Roger would never play Monte Carlo again. Roger's
4 ATP 500s would be Dubai, Rotterdam, Halle and Basel.

I hope he considers skipping Rotterdam and instead play in Monte Carlo as
it gives more points even though it is not mandatory. Also, Rotterdam is Indoor and
so it does not fit into the season.

Also, playing in Monte Carlo would give Roger a chance to win it (a tournament
that he has never won), especially if one day Murray becomes #2 and Novak takes
out Rafa so that Roger can win it without having to beat Rafa.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I found out. Gastaad has applied for Grass court conversion to ATP. They are
the first ones to apply apparently. I don't know whether any other tournament has
also requested. But, the Wimbledon organizers back Gastaad's request and so it
might get the nod.

That would be a grass tournament with an attitude (sorry, altitude; mistyped).

This is the same tournament where Fed got a Cow for losing in the first round
this year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Can somebody translate the following and tell me whether Gastaad is approved or not.

http://www.lematin.ch/sports/tennis/gstaad-futur-wimbledon-alpes/story/19606175

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Can somebody translate the following and tell me whether Gastaad is approved or not.

My French is not excellent, but here is the gist: Gstaad is very willing to change their date in the calendar (to between RG and Wimbledon,) and their surface, from clay to grass. The tournament organizers seem enthusiastically behind this; they think it will up the prestige of their tournament, and they think they have the backing of the ATP, and the encouragement of Wimbledon. This would be for the 2015 calendar. While the tournament itself seems very keen for the change, it does not seem to be yet finalized.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There will be tons of logistical issues to be tackled the next few years. The beautiful thing about all this is that grass court tennis is beginning to get more attention and the powers that be are taking real steps to help it grow. Very happy! :celeb:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

lol it says GSTAAD: THE FUTURE WIMBLEDON OF THE ALPS.
"looking to ask atp to turn into grass tourney by 2015..might move between French and Wimbledon"

the tourney really want grass after I think the atp will agree, I cant see why not.
first Stuttgart now gstaad, going from clay to grass, plus the upgrades from 250 to 500.