3 Fernando Verdasco
4 Pablo Cuevas
5 Marton Fucsovics
6 Leonardo Mayer
7 Lorenzo Sonego
8 Pablo Carreno Busta

tennis_center_court.jpeg

The Tournament:

The Austrian Open Kitzbuhel, (formally known as the Generali Open Kitzbuhel,) is an annual tennis tournament held in Kitzbuhel,, Austria. The event was part of the ATP World Series from the creation of ATP World Tour till 1998, International Series Gold from 1999-2008 and ATP World Tour 250 series in 2009. It was a part of the ATP Challenger Tour in 2010 before regaining top tour status. It is once again part of the 250 series. The tournament has been held, since 1894, on clay courts.

About Kitzbuhel

Kitzbuhel is a small medieval town situated along the river Kitzbuhler Ache in Tyrol, Austria and the administrative centre of the Kitzbuhel district (Bezirk). It has a population of just over 8,000. The town is situated in the Kitzbuhel Alps about 100 kilometres (62 mi) east of the state capital of Innsbruck. It is a ski resort of international renown.

1280px-Winter_snow_in_Kitzb%C3%BChel.jpg

Valerii Tkachenko / Wikimedia

Kitz.jpg

Msedwick / Wikimedia

Tourism Guide:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
will Dominator finally win another title ?

To be honest I am not sure why is he even playing clay still and the last week too. He could easily start HC swing in Washington like plenty other guys.

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To be honest I am not sure why is he even playing clay still and the last week too. He could easily start HC swing in Washington like plenty other guys.
He does this every year. It was to be expected from him to stay in Europe and play the post grass clay season.
Last year was a fiasco, this year is half way there to do a repeat.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He does this every year. It was to be expected from him to stay in Europe and play the post grass clay season.
Last year was a fiasco, this year is half way there to do a repeat.

I've read somewhere before clay season that bringing Massu in the camp might also mean that Thiem will do a bit lighter schedules and pick the tournaments wiser than before. I was hoping he could ditch european summer clay swing as unnecessary and go straight to HC, probably Washington. Obviously I was wrong. He probably still needs tons of matches to find his tune.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've read somewhere before clay season that bringing Massu in the camp might also mean that Thiem will do a bit lighter schedules and pick the tournaments wiser than before. I was hoping he could ditch european summer clay swing as unnecessary and go straight to HC, probably Washington. Obviously I was wrong. He probably still needs tons of matches to find his tune.
By playing Washington does not mean to lighten one schedule either.
If a top player goes to play Washington, then Canada and then Cincy back to back three weeks in the heat, could lead to exhaustion. They could arrive to USO totally drained.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
By playing Washington does not mean to lighten one schedule either.
If a top player goes to play Washington, then Canada and then Cincy back to back three weeks in the heat, could lead to exhaustion. They could arrive to USO totally drained.

You are right, he could be drained. Still he is 4th in the world and playing this summer clay swing it doesn't seem right and it's hot in Europe too. It is a bit of joke what he is doing with scheduling, maybe a change would be good for him, why not try, there is a room for improvement there.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the thiem machine wants to be winning this home tourney i think. now into sf..

noted from the info above it started in 1894 so its abit like queens, a really historical smaller tourney.

Last edited:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominator in final, hope he can win at home

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
He did indeed. We'll see if he is now able to do much in Montreal where he is the second seed.

IIRC, last year (or the year before) Thiem lost in the opening round in this home tourney.

But, winning this now would have his confidence up. While he may not live up to his seeding in Montreal, he would certainly not go out early.

On the other hand, considering that Ralph never defends his non-clay titles, Thiem may win Montreal also.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
IIRC, last year (or the year before) Thiem lost in the opening round in this home tourney.

But, winning this now would have his confidence up. While he may not live up to his seeding in Montreal, he would certainly not go out early.

On the other hand, considering that Ralph never defends his non-clay titles, Thiem may win Montreal also.

I am ready to bet he does not win Montreal

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
congrats to Dominator, win at home"s certainly a great experience