General tennis news 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think sometimes we see bits and pieces on the internet that we might want to let people know about but they don't always warrant a thread of their own. Moxie kindly said I could start a general news thread on the ATP tour thread. The following could do with a thread of its own but I wanted to make a start on the general one.

Please feel free to add any tennis news you hear about that might be of interest. Enjoy!

Roger Federer's hilarious twitter Q&A

After practicing at the Shanghai Masters on Tuesday, Roger Federer conducted an impromptu #askRF Twitter session. He fielded a host of questions ranging from his favorite movies to his thoughts on recent developments in aeronautical engineering (really!). And he (let’s hope it was him) was really funny about it.

Here are some of Federer’s funniest answers from his session, which went a second round because he said he couldn’t get enough. This was, hands down, the most entertaining Twitter Q&A involving a player I’ve read. He’s mastered the art of the punchline hashtag.

http://tennis.si.com/2013/10/08/roger-federer-twitter-q-a/

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: General tennis news

That IS hilarious. I do wonder if it was him, but if so, you're right about the punchline hashtag. I liked when he told the kid off for tweeting while in Chemistry class. "Focus...I don't look at my phone during a match." :lolz:

And thanks for starting this thread, Iona!

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
That IS hilarious. I do wonder if it was him, but if so, you're right about the punchline hashtag. I liked when he told the kid off for tweeting while in Chemistry class. "Focus...I don't look at my phone during a match." :lolz:

And thanks for starting this thread, Iona!

There were so many funny tweets. I really hope it was Roger. I did think it odd that he would write in American English. It's a shame he joined twitter very late. It is an excellent tool for communicating with fans and #askRF was trending worldwide. No real surprise. It was quite a hit.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Funniest tennis player I've seen in recent years is Ivo Karlovic.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 11 Aug

The amount of time I'll spend on toilet depends greatly on the battery life i got left on my phone.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 4 Aug

I was in another final this week. Final round of qualies..

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 4 Aug

I apologize to the person clapping loud at every shot I missed today for telling her to google tennis manners. That was inappropriate.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 3 Aug

Just heard Tiger on Sportcentre saying he scored and thats the name of the game.. #playa

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 1 Aug

All car,airplane,shoe and clothing companies that don't make their products suitable for tall people should be sued for discrimination.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 28 Jul

New soft drink coming out named 'GingerAid'. Made from ginger for the gingers. Proceedings go toward stopping ginger on ginger violence.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 26 Jul

Today was a good day. I didn't get out of the house.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 19 Jul

A guy asked me what's my height in cm. I said 208. Then he asked'Can you give me 8cm?' I said 'I could give you more but ,sorry, im hetero.'

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 16 Jul

I apologize to the ballgirl holding the umbrella today for me at changeover for that weird sound coming from under my chair.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 4 Jul

Listening to Nicky Minaj song 'Did it on 'em'.. And thinking of all the toilets i clogged..

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 2 Jul

If I'm driving a car and nobody's there to witness me jamming to Bieber's song on radio, was it worth paying for tinting windows?

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 29 Jun

Why people still say 'phone is ringing'? My phone didn't ring since 1999. They should say 'phone is playing a song'.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 25 Sep

Hah= when something is funny but you don't feel like laughing. If you were in better mood you'd definitely write Haha, maybe even Hahaha.

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 3 Sep

'Old Macdonald had to fart, E-I-E-I-O..'

ivo karlovic ‏@ivokarlovic 1 Sep

Due to the recent increase in John Isner's height, I had to double check mine. And what do you know?!! Your boy is 6'11!

Sorry for spamming all those but Dr. Ivo's funny :cool:

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

From the London underground. No Andy. :(

BV6PU0VIMAAXuij.jpg

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Iona16 said:
From the London underground. No Andy. :(

BV6PU0VIMAAXuij.jpg

Bummer. That's a shame. But he should be ready for the AO and will probably be better off with the longer recovery time. I actually felt he'd play tbh. Seriously hope Tsonga qualifies but his injury setup may have cost him unfortunately.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

Front242 said:
Funniest tennis player I've seen in recent years is Ivo Karlovic.

He's fab. Berdych is also pretty funny and he comes across as quite a nice guy.

Just a few from him.

I hope that his name is not Rafa.

BR3lwp_CYAAtiSg.jpg

To survive a war, you gotta become war...

BOurV_lCcAAeLSA.jpg

Just landed, so sad to miss this historic moment!! Well done sir @andy_murray (my fav tweet)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I'm going to use Iona's "catchall" thread for these, as they don't need a whole thread on their own:

David Ferrer has split with his life-long coach, Javier Piles, and taken on Jose Francisco Altur. Not much explanation yet given.

Jerzy Janowicz has pulled out of Hopman Cup with a foot injury.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

That's an interesting one about Ferrer, given how well he's doing and his age. Will be curious to find out the whys and wherefores on that one...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

His coach had the surname Piles? "How tall are you, private?" "Sir, five-foot-nine, sir." "Five-foot-nine? I didn’t know they stacked s**t that high."

Incidentally David Ferrer's height. Maybe his coach was a pile of *&%$. He's set himself a realistic goal in any case of staying top 8-10.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Front242 said:
His coach had the surname Piles? "How tall are you, private?" "Sir, five-foot-nine, sir." "Five-foot-nine? I didn’t know they stacked s**t that high."

Incidentally David Ferrer's height. Maybe his coach was a pile of *&%$. He's set himself a realistic goal in any case of staying top 8-10.

I have no idea what most of that means, but it doesn't sound very complimentary. :s If his goal was to be 8-10, I should think he wouldn't have to do anything new. I'm pretty sure this means he doesn't want to fall that far.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

It's past time for Ferret to sink to total irrelevance methinks. It should be the ultimate motivation and slap in the face for Roger to look at the rankings and see David Ferrer ahead of him. If that doesn't make the blood boil nothing will.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
It's past time for Ferret to sink to total irrelevance methinks. It should be the ultimate motivation and slap in the face for Roger to look at the rankings and see David Ferrer ahead of him. If that doesn't make the blood boil nothing will.

Ferrer will not sink into irrelevance (assuming he is not already irrelevant).
He is very good at not losing to people to whom he should not. Hence, even if he
goes down, I expect his deterioration to be slow.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

I have no idea what most of that means, but it doesn't sound very complimentary. :s If his goal was to be 8-10, I should think he wouldn't have to do anything new. I'm pretty sure this means he doesn't want to fall that far.

Doesn't mean much really. I was just thinking of Gomer Pyle and Full Metal Jacket :D By realistic goal I meant he's never going to win a slam so staying top 10 is what he should aim for and will likely achieve eventhough he's probably losing a fair few points at RG. Happy Christmas btw and to everyone here on this great site :) And we have tennis starting tomorrow finally!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

We are back to the beginning. New Season is almost upon us. Is there a better way to
start it than from A (Abu Dhabi), B (Brisbane), C (Chennai) and D (Doha)?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

DarthFed said:

I think nothing will. There is almost half a year by now that Roger is looking at David's back, if his blood would have boiled, Roger was having multiple strokes by now.
Probably he is cool with it, unlike you:)
In fact, I am hoping David will clip Roger before either of them retires. David is better than a Robredo or DelBonis, so why not?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

herios said:
DarthFed said:

I think nothing will. There is almost half a year by now that Roger is looking at David's back, if his blood would have boiled, Roger was having multiple strokes by now.
In fact, I am hoping David will clip Roger before either of them retires. David is better than a Robredo or DelBonis, so why not?

That will probably happen sometime. I just hope it does not happen in a grand slam
quarterfinals when everybody is getting excited that Roger finally got a good draw
despite being ranked sixth.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

herios said:
DarthFed said:

We will see soon enough. If Roger truly isn't bothered by his rank and form and can't turn it around then I am hoping 2014 will be his last year. I've never been much for totally washed up legends sticking around longer than they should.

I think he will be much better this year and if he is you won't see the nobodies of the tour beating him this time. And why should Ferrer ever beat him? Roger now has a poor H2H with Robredo when you stop and think about it. Hopefully he doesn't develop one with Ferrer. I'm not banking on it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Come on, Darth, one defeat against a top pro isn't a bad H2H. How many times has he beaten Robredo?

And just how poor do you think Roger's opponents are, that they should never win? It doesn't say much for them when they roll over every time... :nono

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Kieran said:
Come on, Darth, one defeat against a top pro isn't a bad H2H. How many times has he beaten Robredo?

And just how poor do you think Roger's opponents are, that they should never win? It doesn't say much for them when they roll over every time... :nono

Robredo is not anywhere near a top pro. I think it is 10-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 852
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2587
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 3390
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2183
MargaretMcAleer Pro Tennis (Mens) 612