General Doping/PEDs Discussion

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will try to find Darthfed so that he can explain himself. As I remember, people were wondering why Nadal didn’t get tired easily. At 36, he was outlasting opponents 10 years his junior. On clay!!
Good luck trying to find Darthfed, unless you're a personal friend. He said he'd quit this forum, and watching tennis altogether, if Rafa ever even tied Roger in the Majors count. However, his opinions are pretty well-documented on this thread, if you care to read back.

Your example of Ruud is not strong. In the same RG (2022,) however, FAA DID take him to 5. But that was only the 3rd round, so Nadal would have been fresh. It's worth noting that Rafa has only been taken to a 5th set 3 times at RG. Once was v. Isner, who is a serve bot, so that one wasn't particularly long, and once v. Novak in a SF, when he did finally outlast him, but they are basically the same age, at least on paper, if not tennis years. And that was 10 years ago.

You yourself said above that Rafa's "physicality is unparalleled." I would add his will to win, or at least to go down fighting. All of the Big 3 have been committed athletes, with top teams around them to keep those engines tuned like the Ferraris that they are.

Reactions: atttomole

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Good luck trying to find Darthfed, unless you're a personal friend. He said he'd quit this forum, and watching tennis altogether, if Rafa ever even tied Roger in the Majors count. However, his opinions are pretty well-documented on this thread, if you care to read back.

Your example of Ruud is not strong. In the same RG (2022,) however, FAA DID take him to 5. But that was only the 3rd round, so Nadal would have been fresh. It's worth noting that Rafa has only been taken to a 5th set 3 times at RG. Once was v. Isner, who is a serve bot, so that one wasn't particularly long, and once v. Novak in a SF, when he did finally outlast him, but they are basically the same age, at least on paper, if not tennis years. And that was 10 years ago.

You yourself said above that Rafa's "physicality is unparalleled." I would add his will to win, or at least to go down fighting. All of the Big 3 have been committed athletes, with top teams around them to keep those engines tuned like the Ferraris that they are.
You don't have to find him. He's been here as recently as last month but doesn't post.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

"Good luck trying to find Darthfed, unless you're a personal friend. He said he'd quit this forum, and watching tennis altogether, if Rafa ever even tied Roger in the Majors count. " jajajaja Novak may be sending me to that area of CyberSpace with DarthFed if Rafa isnt able to perform the unbelievable AGAIN

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He didn’t outlast him - he hammered him in straights…
Agreed. I don’t remember all of Nadal’s significant matches, but there were surely some matches where he outlasted much younger opponents. That’s not even arguable!!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed. I don’t remember all of Nadal’s significant matches, but there were surely some matches where he outlasted much younger opponents. That’s not even arguable!!
I’m not too sure what point you’re making with this. Is it bad that he outlasted some players? Is it weird? He is an exceptional man, after all..

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The reason why Nadal sometimes outlasts younger opponents is because he takes like every second possible between points in order to pace himself physically, and also even despite that he often looks exhausted by the end of the match. Djokovic meanwhile looks like he can run and play for 50+ hours without even one drop of sweat or one deep breathe. Sorry but what Djokovic is doing over and over against the younger generation is far from normal, and this latest fiasco about avoiding the test is very revealing for anyone who isn't a blind fan of his.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m not too sure what point you’re making with this. Is it bad that he outlasted some players? Is it weird? He is an exceptional man, after all..
Of course it’s good for him to outlasts opponents because that helps him win matches. Some Fed fans were wondering why he didn’t get tired easily.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Of course it’s good for him to outlasts opponents because that helps him win matches. Some Fed fans were wondering why he didn’t get tired easily.
But not you, right? That's what you said. Let's face it, professional athletes don't get tired "easily," or they shouldn't. Though we do see it more in all of them as they age. But let's not reduce Nadal's greatness to outlasting opponents. Nor Novak's. Talent is the key factor. Everyone throws the kitchen sink at the greats in the first set. It's often a question of how long they can redline their game. Usually they can't keep it up. So, sometimes, the superior player just has to wait out a barrage of great play by a lesser player, then talent and experience finds its way. They don't "outlast" them with stamina, they outplay them, in the end. That's what happened in the AO 2022 final Nadal d. Medvedev. Medvedev never played as fine a set as he did the first one.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well he did get tired, and as easily as anyone else at that level. Why do you think he took so long between points?

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well he did get tired, and as easily as anyone else at that level. Why do you think he took so long between points?
I don’t know why he takes long between points? But taking long between points is nit the issue. Remember some tennis matches are like marathons!! Stamina is not about what happens between points. It’s about the whole match. That is what it means to outlast opponents. He ‘wears them down’, to use your own phrase.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t know why he takes long between points? But taking long between points is nit the issue. Remember some tennis matches are like marathons!! Stamina is not about what happens between points. It’s about the whole match. That is what it means to outlast opponents. He ‘wears them down’, to use your own phrase.
You can recover between points. You can catch your breath. It’s not rocket salad. Plus, he’s a physical beast. A jock, as they say in the states..

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But not you, right? That's what you said. Let's face it, professional athletes don't get tired "easily," or they shouldn't. Though we do see it more in all of them as they age. But let's not reduce Nadal's greatness to outlasting opponents. Nor Novak's. Talent is the key factor. Everyone throws the kitchen sink at the greats in the first set. It's often a question of how long they can redline their game. Usually they can't keep it up. So, sometimes, the superior player just has to wait out a barrage of great play by a lesser player, then talent and experience finds its way. They don't "outlast" them with stamina, they outplay them, in the end. That's what happened in the AO 2022 final Nadal d. Medvedev. Medvedev never played as fine a set as he did the first one.
i
I am not sure if Nadal takes PEDs and I never alluded to that. I rarely got involved in PED discussions. To me Nadal comes across as a humble person, and a physical specimen!!

The problem is many Nadal fans assume that Fed fans are only there to diminish Nadal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 778
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2587
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 3390
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2183
tented Pro Tennis (Mens) 1068