Eufemiano Fuentes given one-year prison sentence

coban

Futures Player
Reactions
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/30/eufemiano-fuentes-sports-drugs-prison

Personally, the most appalling point in this sentence is that they are going to destroy all the 200 bags of blood they found -- they will not be handed over to WADA.

Spanish law did not ban doping at the time of the raid on Fuentes' laboratory, meaning he could only be tried on public health charges.

Allegedly his client list also included persons outside of cycling.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder why the bags are being destroyed. This seems like a gift horse and the judge just stared into its mush...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for posting, coban. Utterly ridiculous that they can't name and shame all those who were his clients. Moronic Spanish cowards and their idiotic law. Barcelona and Real Madrid must be delighted though.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Thanks for posting, coban. Utterly ridiculous that they can't name and shame all those who were his clients. Moronic Spanish cowards and their idiotic law. Barcelona and Real Madrid must be delighted though.
high profile tennis players were in his list so i suppose nadal and ferrer etc must be delighted also ??.

murray smells a rat covered in warm puke though..he thinks its a joke and a cover up...and so it is. .:mad:

this does nothing but add even more suspicion to all sports Spanish. :huh:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is a shameful ruling. The Madrid Judge has not only given out extremely lenient sentences (anyone smell a plea bargain for silence rat?) , she's ordered evidence be destroyed, so no other athlete outside cycling can be brought to account

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Today's date will be celebrated by the fans of successful Spanish tennis players, football players, basketball players, cyclists and the fans of all the other Spanish sportsmen helped by Dr Fuentes to achieve global success.

I hope there is at least trade off for Dr Fuentes's silence. I hope from now on Spanish sportsmen will compete honestly.

JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
Front242 said:
high profile tennis players were in his list so i suppose nadal and ferrer etc must be delighted also ??.

murray smells a rat covered in warm puke though..he thinks its a joke and a cover up...and so it is. .:mad:

this does nothing but add even more suspicion to all sports Spanish. :huh:

Certainly not Robredo and Marcel Granollers. What is their success in last 7 years other than couple of doubles titles.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I wonder why the bags are being destroyed. This seems like a gift horse and the judge just stared into its mush...
Maybe it would be a good idea for a third party to check out the judge's bank account to see if certain transactions have taken place from certain sources to his.

Huge cover up as far as I'm concerned. I'm not all that surprised though. The cynical side of me thinks that if we knew everything that goes on behind the scenes that we would just give up on watching sports altogether. Or perhaps we would become like cycling fans and just don't give a f... and consider not getting caught just part of the competition. Sadly part of me already feels that way, I must admit. And it in part also explains my "who cares" attitude whenever someone is whining about bathroom breaks, taking too long between points, players arguing line calls, gamesmanship, etc and calling that stuff "cheating." I can't understand why people get so worked up over nothing while there probably is REAL cheating going on on a scale we can hardly imagine.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's be clear, Nadal called for all the findings to be made public. We had this on the last board. So lets' not go into the whole Nadal is sighing with relief agenda.

I agree with Jhar and anyone else who thinks this is a whitewash and a disgrace and a lost opportunity. It could have blown the gaff as large as the Tour de France haul of phonies and cheats, and shame on everyone involved that it hasn't.

At the very best, it would help remove suspicion from those who never took drugs or who weren't involved with Fuente, though others lazily assume they were...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Let's be clear, Nadal called for all the findings to be made public. We had this on the last board. So lets' not go into the whole Nadal is sighing with relief agenda.

I'm glad you reminded me of this. That was a while ago, too -- in other words, way before the judge made decisions which rendered this impossible. Why would he have called for the records to be made public if he had been involved? Makes no sense.

Finger pointing at players who have big muscles, or the Armstrong-like endurance to have never retired from a match won't get us anywhere.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

I'm glad you reminded me of this. That was a while ago, too -- in other words, way before the judge made decisions which rendered this impossible. Why would he have called for the records to be made public if he had been involved? Makes no sense.

Finger pointing at players who have big muscles, or the Armstrong-like endurance to have never retired from a match won't get us anywhere.

Exactly. Next thing you know, your average free-range egg will be off-limits... ;)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At least the mystery might inspire a new version of Cleudo. It was Professor Nadal with HGH in the Panic Room.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

He did actually say that after the judge had originally limited the case it to cyclists only. All we know is tennis players featured on the books and some of those bags of blood would tell us who they were.

So yeah, unless WADA win an appeal for getting those bags and access to the evidence, it's unfair to single out specific players.

The Judge's ruling then and in the last few days is basically a disgrace and probably linked to Spain's Olympic bid.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

I agree with Jhar and anyone else who thinks this is a whitewash and a disgrace and a lost opportunity. It could have blown the gaff as large as the Tour de France haul of phonies and cheats, and shame on everyone involved that it hasn't.

At the very best, it would help remove suspicion from those who never took drugs or who weren't involved with Fuente, though others lazily assume they were...

but nadal asking for the findings to be made public is meaningless though :huh:

IF there was doping cover up and tennis players/ footballers were in on it..then obviously there is a cover up by the whole Spanish system and they want to destroy the evidence as soon as they can..hush things up, limit the remit of the trials etc...so >>>

IF nadal was doping AND there IS a Spanish high level cover up maybe nadal was told "don't worry rafa..we are going to take care of everything and there is no chance of this judge or anyone else getting access to blood bags/ samples so you are safe" :huh:

so rafa has been reassured that he and the rest are untouchable, so he is safe to ask for any evidence to be made public safe in the knowledge that there is no chance whatsoever of that happening..

rafa cant be touched, the evidence in the fridges/labs will soon be destroyed, rafa knows the judge and the Spanish system will hush things up, and he ends up making himself look like the innocent good guy by asking for any evidence to be made public....so people can say "look, good old rafa wants blood bags/syringes of stuff examined in public so he must be clean otherwise why would he say it"

its a good routine..the perfect whitewash..everyones a winner.

and I don't necessarily think Spanish footballers/ nada/ferrer are juiced up, im just stating an all too realistic reality if there is a cover up..and lets face it..this stinks more that a huge dog turd that's been steaming in a sun drenched greenhouse all day long.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

^^ If your aunt had a pair of the proverbials, you know what I'm saying?

Nadal asked for these findings to be made public. What more do you want from him? You can't throw suspicion on a tennis player because the US flag didn't wave to ya from the moon...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

^^ If your aunt had a pair of the proverbials, you know what I'm saying?

Nadal asked for these findings to be made public. What more do you want from him? You can't throw suspicion on a tennis player because the US flag didn't wave to ya from the moon...
thats a pretty feeble reply..:huh: whats that flag-moon quip about ??, some local phrase ??.

I do not want anything from nadal..what spanish tennis/football/whatever needs is to have all those 'blood bags' examined..it isn't nadal's fault that the whole thing looks dodgy, and the judge wants all the stuff destroyed..:s

if the stuff gets destroyed then suspicion will grow..look at carl lewis in the 80s, always going on about how 'clean' he was and he wanted more tests..and guess what ?? good old carl lewis failed more than one drugs test in the run up to the 1988 Olympics including a failed test at the u.s trials, but the authorities hushed it up (destroyed the evidence ??) so he was a fraud and he got away with it. :mad:

Barcelona vs Bayern munchen is on soon..so is andreas iniesta and co juiced up ??, maybe they are clean now but were juiced up before but are ok now, maybe they were always clean..:huh:

but carl lewis said he is clean and has called for more testing, so he must be ok and running clean himself.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
thats a pretty feeble reply..:huh: whats that flag-moon quip about ??, some local phrase ??.

Moon flag? Conspiracy theories? Isn't that what you were saying with all your 'if Rafa was in on it and he paid hush money and he...' so forth?

it isn't nadal's fault that the whole thing looks dodgy, and the judge wants all the stuff destroyed..:s

Absolutely agree, and if anything, it's in his interest that they're not destroyed so that suspicious moon flag gazers can set their beady eye on someone else... ;)

And vamos Bayern! An all German final, and they should move it to one of their colonies, like Greece or Cyprus, really make a night of it... :D

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
IF nadal was doping AND there IS a Spanish high level cover up maybe nadal was told "don't worry rafa..we are going to take care of everything and there is no chance of this judge or anyone else getting access to blood bags/ samples so you are safe" :huh:

Where is that thumbs up emoticon when you need it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mastoor said:

Oh, come on. If the cyclists that were being treated by Dr. Fuentes came from Italy and Germany, then why can the tennis players and footballers, if there actually are any, only come from Spain?

I think that everyone agrees the Spanish judge has handled the case poorly, but it's not fair on Spanish tennis players to have them tarnished by that brush.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Mastoor said:

Oh, come on. If the cyclists that were being treated by Dr. Fuentes came from Italy and Germany, then why can the tennis players and footballers, if there actually are any, only come from Spain?

I think that everyone agrees the Spanish judge has handled the case poorly, but it's not fair on Spanish tennis players to have them tarnished by that brush.

"If I would talk, the Spanish football team would be stripped of the 2010 World Cup" - Fuentes stated on the record in December 2010.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Mastoor said:

I have no idea, I am not too much into this, so i mostly make some fun of the situation, but there is a thing or two that i have noticed.

Spanish sportsmen were always excellent in team sports, but they only started winning Euro and world titles in some 8 years or so. That somehow coincides with the success of some Spanish sportsmen in individual sports as well as with Dr Fuentes's illegal activities. is that all by chance or not, I don't want to guess, but from what Brit wrote, I see Fuentes had some involvement with footballers at least.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Front242 Other Sports 23