Elena Baltacha facing the biggest battle of her life.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Baltacha Battling Liver Cancer

Elena Baltacha, a former British No.1 who retired from professional tennis at the end of last year, has announced she is now facing the biggest battle of her life.

IPSWICH, England - Great Britain's Elena Baltacha, who retired from her 16-year professional tennis career at the end of last year, announced on Friday that she is facing the biggest battle of her life.

"I have recently been diagnosed with cancer of the liver," Baltacha said in a statement.

"I'm currently undergoing treatment and fighting this illness with everything I have."

Baltacha remains optimistic and is currently looking at treatment options with her medical team.

"The WTA family sends its thoughts and prayers to Elena and her husband Nino at this difficult time," Stacey Allaster, the Chairman & CEO of the WTA, said of the announcement. "Throughout her tennis career, Elena was admired for her friendly personality, her passion, energy and tenacity. We know she will use these qualities to fight this illness and we'll support her along this process in any way we can."

At the end of last year, Baltacha announced her retirement from pro tennis after a 16-year career that saw her reach four WTA quarterfinals, score three Top 10 wins (one coming at Indian Wells) and reach the Top 50. She was also the British No.1 and represented Britain at the London Olympics.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3701469/title/baltacha-battling-liver-cancer

R

Rose

I don't remember her at all, but what an awful illness to be hit with. And she couldn't be all that old!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, it's sad. I think she's only 30 years old. In some ways, she was the perennial British loser at Wimbledon, but she was a fighter. I hope she wins this battle, much as Russ Hutchins won his...

rubydo

Reactions
Kieran said:
Yeah, it's sad. I think she's only 30 years old. In some ways, she was the perennial British loser at Wimbledon, but she was a fighter. I hope she wins this battle, much as Russ Hutchins won his...
I saw Elena play at Eastbourne last year against Maria Kirilenko. Was impressed by her performance in the loss, but oh my, she really had a lot of support. She needs all that support now and yes she is only 30. Thoughts and prayers going to her.