Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Audio Tape...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:
DarthFed said:
Guess it depends on what disturbs you more, a gold digger vs. a hypocritical bigot. In this country I find the latter worse.

If you talk to most people two or three generations older than yourselves, most come across "bigoted" by modern descriptions.

I'm well aware but some people evolve. This geezer is still in the 60's and what makes it more ridiculous is that he is DATING a minority and making millions through his NBA team that has 1 white guy on it.

He's 81 mate. Maybe he will evolve but don't bet your house on it.

Oh yes, far too late for that, just the hypocrisy of it all is what is dumbfounding. He must be a complicated little old man.

He's a scholar, according to what the gold digger called him in their conversation.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So, this is apparently the least controversial thing Sterling's ever done, as he seems to have a history of being a reprehensible excuse of a human being:

http://deadspin.com/your-complete-quotable-guide-to-decades-of-donald-sterl-1568047212?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
How do the players play for this guy?

I was thinking the same thing, perhaps some/all don't know about it? There is an article on ESPN saying the NBA is looking into the alleged "insensitive" comments.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ They'll get the money somewhere though, there are 29 other teams in the league. It's likely most of the team didn't realize how racist the guy is. Chances are Sterling is not a hands-on owner given the fact he thinks so lowly of probably 90+% of players who have been on his team :)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Darth... Out of interest, If you found out the major shareholder in the company you work for had made racist comments in a private conversation would you quit your job out of principle?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Darth... Out of interest, If you found out the major shareholder in the company you work for had made racist comments in a private conversation would you quit your job out of principle?

Apples and oranges bud. I'm white and I'm not a millionaire so quitting my job would affect me a lot more and a lot quicker than an NBA player.

Also I am not saying that the Clippers players should boycott or even demand a trade. What something like this could affect is whether players will stay once their contracts are up and whether free agents would want to play there. I'd imagine a lot of the current players on LA would leave and a lot of free agents wouldn't come. We might see this soon enough; if Lebron opts out this year I think LA would have the best chance at the sweepstakes, if Sterling is still there I doubt that happens now.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
What a duo, eh? Dynamic and daring and destined to spin. I don't find either worse than the other, although her low trick is utterly contemptible, and she's exposed herself as much as she exposed him. She comes across as a poor girl, in so many ways. He seems to be just nasty, reprehensible, inexcusably backward and ignorant.

It's a good question Britbox asked: would any of us quit our jobs if the owner of the company said racist things. It shouldn't really come down to our own financial fix, but of course, this is the real world, and there are obvious considerations to make. But it's a good hypothesis, and even though the guy is a completely nasty piece of work, he did expect a certain amount of privacy while gabbing and mouthing-off with his tart. Men can say the stupidest things, when they're in the company of desirable young females.

These basketballers can afford to make him suffer, but let's see if his players rebel, or ignore it, or blame the gold-digger. There's no good will come out of any of this, anyway...

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:
The owner sounded drunk and the GF was steering the conversation, for what I can imagine was financial gain.

Well she looks like a hot 30 something year old with an 80 year old owner, I'd imagine the whole relationship is all about financial gain. But regardless, even if she steered the conversation it doesn't matter how drunk he is, the statements are ridiculous. And the guy owns an NBA team, I'd love to see how the Clippers do if they field an all white team.

Wo wo wo wo, don't be so racist Darth. Are you saying blacks in general are better at basketball than whites?

What about your precious Spurs who play the whitest, lamest, most anti-black style of basketball in the NBA? They have given a roster spot to Matt f-ing Bonner for crying out loud.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
britbox said:
The owner sounded drunk and the GF was steering the conversation, for what I can imagine was financial gain.

It was obvious that she was steering the conversation. His speech was slurred and he was either on drugs or inebriated.

His responses are utterly repugnant.

At the same time, it would seem he has the expectation of privacy, and has the right to feel the way he does and to express himself in his own home.

There are recordings of songs by noted rap groups publicly sharing their hatred and spewing their venom - and people download the songs by the millions. That kind of language is also utterly repugnant to me, but some call it "art".

It will be interesting to see what the NBA does based on a recording that was probably made illegally.

Well, nehmeth, the problem in the modern Western world is that people can't just call something they hear idiotic or stupid and then move on with their lives.

Remember the Jefferson quote: "Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.".

This is a basic tenet of a free society. If we forced everyone who owns a business but believes something stupid about the world to cede their business ownership, then we would all have to basically just commit suicide, starting with Bill Gates and the recent presidents of the United States. Now is that what we are recommending here?

Also, your raising of the rap music point is very much appropriate. Black people and rappers such as Eminem can say the most demeaning, insulting things about each other in music, but the moment that some old white guy expresses pre-Civil Rights Act sentiments, everyone becomes a pious sensitive Suzie. Well let me get back to listening to 2 Chainz talking about how all he wants for his birthday is a big-booty ho. I'm sure everyone on this board is listening to that.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:

I know. It must be the most inhumane thing in the world to live in Los Angeles while getting paid $10 million per year for playing basketball, even when - in the case of DeAndre Jordan - you have no basketball skill and can't make more than 35% of your free throws. The horror of that life must be incalculable.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is amazing to me that the Spurs never get any flack for their very conspicuous anti-black (and to anyone who watches a lot of basketball, explicitly anti-black) organizational policies. They see themselves as the antithesis of exuberant black individualism. They look at Kobe ball or especially Melo/Iverson ball as "not playing the right way". They believe very smugly that they have the formula for ideal basketball: team play, smart passing, movement without the ball, and personalities that are not selfish, temperamental, or too self-absorbed (all stereotypes of black star players in both the NBA and NFL).

Yet, despite their smugness and fraudulent, bogus style of play, no one ever objects to them on racial grounds, even though their attitudes are very racially motivated. It pisses me off to no end. If it was up to Spurs management, half of the current players in the NBA wouldn't be there. The entire NBA would like the Big 10 mixed in with Lithuanians and Estonians.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Well she looks like a hot 30 something year old with an 80 year old owner, I'd imagine the whole relationship is all about financial gain. But regardless, even if she steered the conversation it doesn't matter how drunk he is, the statements are ridiculous. And the guy owns an NBA team, I'd love to see how the Clippers do if they field an all white team.

Wo wo wo wo, don't be so racist Darth. Are you saying blacks in general are better at basketball than whites?

What about your precious Spurs who play the whitest, lamest, most anti-black style of basketball in the NBA? They have given a roster spot to Matt f-ing Bonner for crying out loud.

Leave it to the attention whore to hijack the thread with totally unrelated crap. There are 3 white players on the Spurs yet they are somehow racist in your eyes. It is you who are stereotyping black players as selfish guys who can't/won't play team ball, won't play defense, etc.

And yes, black people are generally better than white people at basketball. Just look at the percentages and look at the best players in the league today and in history. Unless you want to argue the other owners/GM's are racist against white players :)

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:

I know. It must be the most inhumane thing in the world to live in Los Angeles while getting paid $10 million per year for playing basketball, even when - in the case of DeAndre Jordan - you have no basketball skill and can't make more than 35% of your free throws. The horror of that life must be incalculable.

I love money as much as the next guy...But if my boss tells me he does not like me and my kind, I will make my money somewhere else. You might have different standards in your life. I have to respect the person that I make money for. That does not mean I have to LOVE him or agree with everything he says or does. But on a basic level, I have to respect him and I want to be respected in return.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
calitennis127 said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Leave it to the attention whore to hijack the thread with totally unrelated crap. There are 3 white players on the Spurs yet they are somehow racist in your eyes. It is you who are stereotyping black players as selfish guys who can't/won't play team ball, won't play defense, etc.

And yes, black people are generally better than white people at basketball. Just look at the percentages and look at the best players in the league today and in history. Unless you want to argue the other owners/GM's are racist against white players :)

Of course I believe that black players are generally better than white players. I don't even see this as mildly debatable. But it is weak-minded white leftist people who won't even acknowledge something like that because they see it as too "insensitive" and so obvious as to be offensive. It is at the point where if you say "most NBA players are black", there are some people who will consider that a racist statement. So I was being sarcastic.

As for the Spurs - lol, you have to be kidding. They have clearly distinguished themselves from the rest of the NBA as a team that does not incorporate individualistic modern black basketball. They define themselves in opposition to it. Do you want me to provide you with 50 article links that provide testament to this? The African-American columnist Jason Whitlock wrote an article for FoxSports two years ago contrasting the symbolism of LeBron's and Wade's "AAU Hip Hop culture" versus the Spurs' more traditional, team-oriented mentality that can only be created in this day and age by taking foreign players. That was his story, not mine. So don't tell me this is unrelated.

You looking at race issues as nothing more than difference in skin color is completely shallow, and it misses the whole point of this discussion. There are cultural connotations to race that are significant. Someone like Allen Iverson really stepped on the toes of white corporate America with his self-presentation and style. He represented a culture clash that went far beyond having black skin. If you see race differences as nothing more than different pigmentation, then I would like to congratulate you on graduating from the 4th grade.

The Spurs have developed a roster out of mostly non-American-black players. This is easily documented. They don't want players like that unless they have the most timid, quiet, mild personalities - like Khawi Leonard. The rest of their roster is effeminate foreign players who the Spurs' brass regards as uncorrupted by And-1 mixtape-type attitudes. If you don't realize this, then I am sorry to say that you are very unfamiliar with basketball culture and only watch it a little bit on TV at a distance.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:

I love money as much as the next guy...But if my boss tells me he does not like me and my kind, I will make my money somewhere else. You might have different standards in your life. I have to respect the person that I make money for. That does not mean I have to LOVE him or agree with everything he says or does. But on a basic level, I have to respect him and I want to be respected in return.

I have never worked for anyone or played for anyone who I thought had much of any clue what they were doing, so I am used to functioning in life despite the fact that I think people in leadership positions are stupid.

As for the Clipper players and Sterling - the Clippers players hardly even see Sterling on a day-to-day basis. He isn't their coach. He is a distant far-off figure to them. He is irrelevant in their daily lives.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
DarthFed said:
calitennis127 said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Of course I believe that black players are generally better than white players. I don't even see this as mildly debatable. But it is weak-minded white leftist people who won't even acknowledge something like that because they see it as too "insensitive" and so obvious as to be offensive. It is at the point where if you say "most NBA players are black", there are some people who will consider that a racist statement. So I was being sarcastic.

As for the Spurs - lol, you have to be kidding. They have clearly distinguished themselves from the rest of the NBA as a team that does not incorporate individualistic modern black basketball. They define themselves in opposition to it. Do you want me to provide you with 50 article links that provide testament to this? The African-American columnist Jason Whitlock wrote an article for FoxSports two years ago contrasting the symbolism of LeBron's and Wade's "AAU Hip Hop culture" versus the Spurs' more traditional, team-oriented mentality that can only be created in this day and age by taking foreign players. That was his story, not mine. So don't tell me this is unrelated.

You looking at race issues as nothing more than difference in skin color is completely shallow, and it misses the whole point of this discussion. There are cultural connotations to race that are significant. Someone like Allen Iverson really stepped on the toes of white corporate America with his self-presentation and style. He represented a culture clash that went far beyond having black skin. If you see race differences as nothing more than different pigmentation, then I would like to congratulate you on graduating from the 4th grade.

The Spurs have developed a roster out of mostly non-American-black players. This is easily documented. They don't want players like that unless they have the most timid, quiet, mild personalities - like Khawi Leonard. The rest of their roster is effeminate foreign players who the Spurs' brass regards as uncorrupted by And-1 mixtape-type attitudes. If you don't realize this, then I am sorry to say that you are very unfamiliar with basketball culture and only watch it a little bit on TV at a distance.

Please define "individualistic modern black basketball". The term in and of itself is stereotypical. People who see Lebron and Wade as selfish, "modern individual black players" or And 1 type players are completely blind.

We've already had this discussion. You see the flashy, selfish inefficient players like J.R. Smith and Ricky Davis as the "ideal players" and the guys who play team ball like Chris Paul, Duncan, etc. are overrated. And if the Spurs organization was truly racist it wouldn't matter if it was black players from America or overseas, they'd still hate them all the same. They had Stephen Jackson on the team for many years. I am going to go out on a limb and say he is a good example of your "individualistic modern black player".