Climate change

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s an interesting development, but still seems a long way from being useful.

I‘ve changed my mind about nuclear energy. Based on information I’ve encountered in the last few years, it isn’t the problem it used to be. There’s newer, cleaner technology available which could be implemented to produce lots of energy, and scale back the consumption of fossil fuels.
I completely agree. Which is why the stance of the Greens in Germany is baffling to me. It's almost as if Russian intelligence has co-opted them. How on earth can coal powered stations be preferable to modern nuclear fission power stations??

You're right about fusion. I think this shows proof of concept, but the most likely methodology to succeed are the efforts in France with the magnetic taurus

Reactions: tented

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dumb green-haired plebs stopping people going to work.

At least smart people are holding office holders to account.

All about control. And the powers that be have enlisted the feeble minded to take part in the charade.

Far right extremists? Give me strength. People should start wearing this as a badge of honour by now - as the opposite of being "far wrong".

Clean up the planet? Release the thousands of overunity energy patents that have been seized and declared against the national interest. My understanding is that there is somewhere between 3,000 and 15,000 of them. Energy was already free back in the day. Nikola Tesla figured out the fraud a century ago.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dunno, not jumping on the EV bandwaggon yet ( too many charging station snafus) Southern Cal friends had issues during the last winter with Teslas & weather.

Though i admit no oil changes or tune-ups is tempting

The charging stations are powered by "fossil fuels". Most people want a cleaner planet, but the guys running this green hoax are the same characters who messed up the biosphere in the first place. Rockefeller = Standard Oil/Exxon...and the new "green" solution. There are numerous over unity energy patents that have been buried for "national security reasons".

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The charging stations are powered by "fossil fuels". Most people want a cleaner planet, but the guys running this green hoax are the same characters who messby ed up the biosphere in the first place. Rockefeller = Standard Oil/Exxon...and the new "green" solution. There are numerous over unity energy patents that have been buried for "national security reasons".
Believe me I have no illusions about this so called “cleaner” alternative,, with me it has to be both practical & somehow sustainable per my life style.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Glad im not going to Sardinia until the early fall..,as petty & self-centered as that sounds…

Yeah we’re going to Sicily in September. I love hot temperatures but hoping it’s kind of civil by then.

Whereabouts in Sardinia you going?

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nearly 62,000 people died from record-breaking heat in Europe last summer

“It’s a very big number”: Italy and Spain were the hardest-hit countries, according to a study published Monday.

(CNN) — Nearly 62,000 people died heat-related deaths last year during Europe’s hottest summer on record, a new study has found — more heartbreaking evidence that heat is a silent killer, and its victims are vastly under-counted.

The study, published Monday in the journal Nature Medicine, found that 61,672 died in Europe from heat-related illness between May 30 and Sept. 4 last year. Italy was the hardest-hit country, with around 18,000 deaths, followed by Spain with just over 11,000 and Germany with around 8,000.

Researchers also found the extreme heat disproportionately harmed the elderly and women. Of the nearly 62,000 deaths analyzed, heat-related mortality rate was 63% higher in women than in men. Age was also an important factor, with the death toll increasing significantly for people aged 65 and over.

“It’s a very big number,” Joan Ballester, an epidemiologist at ISGlobal and the lead author of the study, told CNN.

Eurostat, which is Europe’s statistical office, attempted to quantify the heat wave’s death toll last year by tallying excess deaths — or how many people died more than a typical summer. But Ballester, who lives in Spain and sweated through last year’s heat wave, said the study published Monday was the first to analyze how many deaths last summer were specifically caused by heat.

Researchers analyzed temperature and mortality data between 2015 and 2022 for 35 European countries — representing a total population of 543 million people — and used it to create epidemiological models to calculate heat-related deaths.

“For me, I’m an epidemiologist, so I know what to expect and (the number of deaths) is not surprising, but for the general population, it’s very likely that this is astonishing,” he said.

The region has seen this script before — an unprecedented heat wave resulted in more than 70,000 excess deaths in the summer of 2003. That heat wave was an “exceptionally rare event,” the study’s scientists said, even when accounting for the human-caused climate crisis.

The 2003 heat wave was a wake-up call, researchers said. It showed Europe at the time lacked the kind of preparedness to prevent a mass casualty event from heat, and it exposed the fragile nature of the region’s health system, Ballester said, particularly as weather extremes become more frequent and intense.

But the study’s findings show that even Europe’s current prevention plans are still not enough to keep up with the breakneck pace at which dangerous heat waves are occurring and putting even more lives at risk.

“The fact that more than 61,600 people in Europe died of heat stress in the summer of 2022, even though, unlike in 2003, many countries already had active prevention plans in place, suggests that adaptation strategies currently available may still be insufficient,” said Hicham Achebak, a co-author of the study and researcher at ISGlobal.

While the numbers may have been worse without the region’s current heat prevention plans, the authors warn that the world is only going to get hotter — and that without effective adaptation plans in place, Europe could face more than 68,000 premature deaths each summer by 2030, and over 94,000 by 2040.

“The acceleration of warming observed over the last 10 years underlines the urgent need to reassess and substantially strengthen prevention plans,” Achebak said.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
:astonished-face::astonished-face:
This is no surprise, ultimately. ExxonMobil alone has given $30-plus million dollars to dozens of organizations which deny climate change. And yet they’ve been well aware of its reality since the 1970s. The whole sickening history can be read here. And that’s just ExxonMobil.

• Angry
Reactions: Moxie and Jelenafan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is no surprise, ultimately. ExxonMobil alone has given $30-plus million dollars to dozens of organizations which deny climate change. And yet they’ve been well aware of its reality since the 1970s. The whole sickening history can be read here. And that’s just ExxonMobil.
So with the very physical survival of this planet at stake I guess their internal findings didn't matter:

Excerpt:
“In 1982, Exxon's environmental affairs office circulated an internal report to Exxon's management which said that the consequences of climate change could be catastrophic, and that a significant reduction in fossil fuel consumption would be necessary to curtail future climate change. It also said that "there is concern among some scientific groups that once the effects are measurable, they might not be reversible."[16]

• Angry
Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Excerpt:
“The Republican controlled Texas House and Senate along with other GOP elected state officials have yet to officially recognize that climate change is real, and that Texas needs to prepare for it. More was done to protect the state’s oil and gas industry than to deal with climate change in the recent legislative session.”

On the positive side, they moved the bar figuratively maybe a quarter of an inch… :confused:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who knew rehabilitating the poor maligned Co2 image was a thing?? :unsure:

Excerpts:
IMG_4601.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

While it is true that CO2 helps plants grow, its accumulation in the atmosphere will have net negative effects for plants and people alike, Dessler said. Telling kids they need CO2 to survive, he said, “is like telling a drowning person they need water to survive. It’s not helpful.”
When coalition members requested a booth at the convention, they signed a contract certifying that their materials were consistent with the association’s position statement on the teaching of climate science, NSTA Executive Director Erika Shugart said in an email. But then they violated the contract, she said.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting take on the mindset of climate change denial:

Excert:
“As increases in global temperatures have become obvious, some climate change skeptics have switched from denying them to reframing them.

Their oft-repeated line, “The climate has always been changing,” typically delivered with an air of patient wisdom, is based on a striking lack of knowledge about the evidence from climate research.

Their reasoning is based on an invalid binary: Either the climate is changing or it’s not, and since it’s always been changing, there is nothing new here and no cause for concern.”

Reactions: tented
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Federberg World Affairs 37