Clay Season preview

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A lot of excitement and mystery going into this clay season, I'd say. Djokovic will be finally back in action, but how long will it take him to shake off the rust? Rafa still recovering from a fractured rib...when will he come back, and how? Medvedev out for two months, which is basically the clay season. Zverev and Tsitsipas have done well on clay, but haven't made a great show of themselves so far this year.

Thiem and Wawrinka trying to make come-backs in what is a good part of the season for them. Personally, I think Stan is done, but it would be shocking if Dominic doesn't find his way back, eventually.

All eyes will be on Alcaraz, of course. He actually seems to be handling the weight of expectation. Casper Ruud, too, who is also more of a clay-courter. Most spin on shot these days, I think. Francisco Cerundolo has made noise, and don't forget his younger brother, Juan Manuel, who will probably have to qualify, but is an up-and-comer.

I'm skipping some of the top players to add in some who do well on clay. Feel free to add any others that you think could feature this clay season.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A lot of excitement and mystery going into this clay season, I'd say. Djokovic will be finally back in action, but how long will it take him to shake off the rust? Rafa still recovering from a fractured rib...when will he come back, and how? Medvedev out for two months, which is basically the clay season. Zverev and Tsitsipas have done well on clay, but haven't made a great show of themselves so far this year.

Thiem and Wawrinka trying to make come-backs in what is a good part of the season for them. Personally, I think Stan is done, but it would be shocking if Dominic doesn't find his way back, eventually.

All eyes will be on Alcaraz, of course. He actually seems to be handling the weight of expectation. Casper Ruud, too, who is also more of a clay-courter. Most spin on shot these days, I think. Francisco Cerundolo has made noise, and don't forget his younger brother, Juan Manuel, who will probably have to qualify, but is an up-and-comer.

I'm skipping some of the top players to add in some who do well on clay. Feel free to add any others that you think could feature this clay season.
If he is okay physically (no illness or blisters), I can see Jannik Sinner do well in the Clay season.

His losses on Clay since 2020: Nadal (RG), Djokovic (MC), Tsitsipas (Barcelona), Nadal (Rome), and Nadal (RG).

His other loss was Madrid last year against Popyrin. As you can see, he had some tough draws on Clay, but he can play on Clay. He has good/great lateral movement, his groundstrokes are very consistent and can hit it flat, if he needs to during tight moments. And he can hit some good returns on the surface. I am hoping he can get some consistent results this Clay season because it will be great for Tennis!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think I see Thiem being more of a threat around US Open season unless he finds his way to form quickly. The only way he will do that is match play in which I think he needs to include doubles to fast track that. Though if he does find form before RG, I could see him making the QF or SF, I don’t know about a final or a win there. He would need a kind draw to help.

I think Ruud, Alcaraz, and Sinner will be the stars of the clay season in the event Djokovic and Nadal can’t find their form.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dark horses: He just turned 20, and stalled a bit but I’m hoping Lorenzo Musetti can find his claycourt form by Roland Garros. Christian Garin can be dangerous on the red stuff.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dark horses: He just turned 20, and stalled a bit but I’m hoping Lorenzo Musetti can find his claycourt form by Roland Garros. Christian Garin can be dangerous on the red stuff.
I agree with all above, and that's why I was trying to leave room for additions, so as not to begin and end the discussion in one OP. But I like these dark horses. Which is why I mentioned the Cerundulos. I think there are more clay players coming up to cause trouble than there have been of late. Garin seems to be a bit stalled from early promise, though he still has a decent ranking and could be dangerous, and I think Musetti is poised to do better.

Sinner was one I omitted on purpose, but agree with @rafanoy1992 that he should feature in the clay season, even big-time.

Reactions: Jelenafan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think I see Thiem being more of a threat around US Open season unless he finds his way to form quickly. The only way he will do that is match play in which I think he needs to include doubles to fast track that. Though if he does find form before RG, I could see him making the QF or SF, I don’t know about a final or a win there. He would need a kind draw to help.

I think Ruud, Alcaraz, and Sinner will be the stars of the clay season in the event Djokovic and Nadal can’t find their form.
I agree with you about Thiem...given the long lay-off, and the physical and psychological issues, I don't see him making himself felt in a big way until later in the year, though it would be surprising if he doesn't.

So, you don't hold out much hope for Zverev and Tsitsipas this clay season? I'm not saying I do, or desire for it, even, but Zverev won in Rome a few years back, and the Greek was the finalist a RG last year. They have failed to impress so far this year, (and then some,) but I'll be surprised if they don't regroup a bit to make late stages on clay events.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree with you about Thiem...given the long lay-off, and the physical and psychological issues, I don't see him making himself felt in a big way until later in the year, though it would be surprising if he doesn't.

So, you don't hold out much hope for Zverev and Tsitsipas this clay season? I'm not saying I do, or desire for it, even, but Zverev won in Rome a few years back, and the Greek was the finalist a RG last year. They have failed to impress so far this year, (and then some,) but I'll be surprised if they don't regroup a bit to make late stages on clay events.
I thought Tsitsipas had some medical issue he needed to address if I recall correctly. Zverev has a lot more to worry about now that there is an investigation into the abuse allegations. I’m not saying they can’t make good on their rankings, but I’m liking more of the uptick for other players like Ruud and Alcaraz who are on fire at the moment and heading to a surface they like.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought Tsitsipas had some medical issue he needed to address if I recall correctly. Zverev has a lot more to worry about now that there is an investigation into the abuse allegations. I’m not saying they can’t make good on their rankings, but I’m liking more of the uptick for other players like Ruud and Alcaraz who are on fire at the moment and heading to a surface they like.
Totally agree, and my point with the thread is only to give us a place to game what might happen, and no harm/no foul if we're wrong. I personally have a hard time thinking that one or both of Zverev/Tsitsipas won't make some real noise in the clay season, but I won't be surprised either, if none of that noise ends up in a title.

Monte Carlo: Djokovic is going to come back rusty, and Nadal (and Medvedev) won't play. Land of Opportunity? I'll be honest, I can't wait to see the draw for THAT one.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I would like to point out that Dominic has again caught COVID and is currently isolating.Dominic was given a wild card into Marrakech,though now has to withdraw. he lost his first rd match in a challenger tournament I cannot see him making any inroads in the whole clay season.Dominic has not played tennis for nearly 11 months now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would like to point out that Dominic has again caught COVID and is currently isolating.Dominic was given a wild card into Marrakech,though now has to withdraw.I cannot see him making any inroads in the whole clay season.
Thiem may curse his luck, but he has been hiding, too, if you ask me. What happened to that kid who was hefting logs in the forest? I could be wrong, but I don't think he's as snake-bit as Del Potro. So, what goes on?

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thiem may curse his luck, but he has been hiding, too, if you ask me. What happened to that kid who was hefting logs in the forest? I could be wrong, but I don't think he's as snake-bit as Del Potro. So, what goes on?
Well to me he has not been the same player since he won the USO.Mentally he said it took a lot out of him? his results have been sup par,then his wrist,he elected not to have surgery,tried alternative therapies,which have taken a long time to work.Dominic is entered to play MC,though this will depend how he recovers after COVID,if he plays or not.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well to me he has not been the same player since he won the USO.Mentally he said it took a lot out of him? his results have been sup par,then his wrist,he elected not to have surgery,tried alternative therapies,which have taken a long time to work.Dominic is entered to play MC,though this will depend how he recovers after COVID,if he plays or not.
TBH, and I hope this isn't unkind, I think he's having a huge crisis of confidence. Or else that, and a run of bad luck with his physical health. But the psychological dip started it all, if you ask me.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Thiem will come around. I know he has missed the game he posts a lot about it on his Insta. I think that is why he started back at a Challenger because he knows he has to work his way back into the mix. I mean half the battle was getting back on the court. Now that he is back on a court he can start building goals bit by bit.

Reactions: Jelenafan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak may be rusty, but as far as I know, he isn't injured. I can't see him not getting into a decent rhythm, by say, Madrid . The one thing the big 3 have shown , just one of their freaky attributes, is that they can comeback from a long hiatus and win fairly quickly. Like I said, in Novak's case, he doesn't have lingering malady, just a matter of getting a few matches under his belt. The last time Novak struggled for a relatively long period of time he had that elbow issue.

Would anyone be genuinely shocked if he started winning right from the start?

Reactions: Kieran and tented

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well the issue is that Novak might have stunted ability to get match play because of vaccination rules. I don’t think he will be able to play Madrid or Rome. Have they changed their vaccination rules? Even Novak needs some form of match play to keep sharp.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Thiem will come around. I know he has missed the game he posts a lot about it on his Insta. I think that is why he started back at a Challenger because he knows he has to work his way back into the mix. I mean half the battle was getting back on the court. Now that he is back on a court he can start building goals bit by bit.
The point is he has to get back on court? he has got COVID for the 2nd time and he took another test and it is positive.
You seem to be missing the point with him.Frankly he was lucky to win a GS title at the USO,if that other Mental Midget Zverev won one of the 3 CHP points he has,Dominic would not have won,quite frankly to me he is over rated,along with Zverev

Last edited:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The point is he has to get back on court? he has got COVID for the 2nd time and he took another test and it is positive.
You seem to be missing the point with him.
No I get it he hasn’t had the best of luck. He will get back out there when he can. There isn’t anything to be done except wait it out and play when he can. I wasn’t expecting it to be an easy road for him.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
TBH, and I hope this isn't unkind, I think he's having a huge crisis of confidence. Or else that, and a run of bad luck with his physical health. But the psychological dip started it all, if you ask me.
Of course it did, our game is 80% mental,you know I have never been a fan.Honestly winning a GS title should inspire you to win more? in his case he has gone backwards.,then the wrist went ,which of course didnt help his cause at all.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well the issue is that Novak might have stunted ability to get match play because of vaccination rules. I don’t think he will be able to play Madrid or Rome. Have they changed their vaccination rules? Even Novak needs some form of match play to keep sharp.
Novak will be allowed to play Madrid and Italy has already changed their restrictions of COVID,I feel by the time Rome tournament comes around Novak will be able to play

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak may be rusty, but as far as I know, he isn't injured. I can't see him not getting into a decent rhythm, by say, Madrid . The one thing the big 3 have shown , just one of their freaky attributes, is that they can comeback from a long hiatus and win fairly quickly. Like I said, in Novak's case, he doesn't have lingering malady, just a matter of getting a few matches under his belt. The last time Novak struggled for a relatively long period of time he had that elbow issue.

Would anyone be genuinely shocked if he started winning right from the start?
I would be shocked if he didn't have struggles from the start. He did at his first tournament back...2 amazing wins, then a rather shocking loss. This is what I will expect from him, to start. His game doesn't exist in a vacuum, and a lot of players have matured and moved on since he was last on the tour. However, I agree he would likely be on his game by, say, Madrid.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer