Cincinnati 2014: Western and Southern open

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
I can understand why Maria would be upset as it was in the midst of her serving game.

Yes, but Ana was still leading, and Maria won that game, anyway, right? If it had come later, it might have looked dicier.

Yeah, that is all true, but you have to look at it from Maria's perspective whether she won that game or not. It still doesn't change the fact that it happened in the middle of her serving when clearly momentum at that moment was still in her favor having just won the second set. I am not agreeing with Maria's attitude, but I can understand why it was there.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
I believe Ana is that tougher match for Serena anyway.
I concur Calvy. Serena gets up for Maria and no matter how poorly she has played in a tournament, she plays exceptionally well against when she spies her across the net. We will see if she is motivated against Ana in order to "avenge" the AO lost the commentators mention in every other sentence.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Didn't read all the posts in this thread? But, I have a quick question.

Is it within rules to take an MTO like Ana did in the middle of a game, that too
especially with Maria serving? Just curious.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Didn't read all the posts in this thread? But, I have a quick question.

Is it within rules to take an MTO like Ana did in the middle of a game, that too
especially with Maria serving? Just curious.

It's a good question, and I wondered myself, though we have seen it, even recently. Maybe it's up to the chair to decide if a player needs immediate medical attention.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Maria was also annoyed with the chair as the chair never answered her when she was like what was happening.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think Maria was also annoyed with the chair as the chair never answered her when she was like what was happening.

Oh yes, Maria was definitely annoyed by it. She kept murmuring "Check for her Blood
Pressure" several times sarcastically to the referee and also to her box. While, I don't know
whether it is technically legal or not, I feel that it did not really have an impact on the
outcome of the match. After all Maria won that game.

Interestingly, in another match few years ago, Ana wanted a "comfort break" when her
opponent was about to serve in the middle of a set. As per the rules, comfort breaks are
allowed only in the middle of the set. When Ana came back from the bathroom, the
umpire declared that the game was won her by opponent (the opponent did not have
to hit a single ball), which is actually the right thing to do. But, I guess with MTO, one
has to be liitle prudent and lenient, just in case there is a real problem that deserves
immediate attention.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If you were watching the match, Ana doubled over, and then doubled over again, trying to move towards the sidelines. Something was wrong with her, and they didn't call for the trainer, they called for the doctor. I'm all for keeping players safe, at it wasn't at a time when Ana was behind in the match. As to Ana taking a comfort break mid-match another time: there are reasons that women might have to, and, it sounds like you're saying they forfeited her the game. Well, fair enough.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So final day

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Center Court
14:00 - [1] Serena Williams (USA) V [9] Ana Ivanovic (SRB)

Grandstand
14:45 - [6] Timea Babos / Kristina Mladenovic (HUN / FRA) V [7] Raquel Kops-Jones / Abigail Spears (USA / USA)

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I did not see the third set, but it sounds like Ana was suffering an anxiety attack, similar to what Vika experienced during her AO match against Sloane. I am glad she got herself together and sent the screamer home.

I would be surprised if Ana has enough strength left after this long match to make the final competitive. I just want both players to stay healthy so they can do well at USO.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
colleen66 said:
Calvy said:
I concur Calvy. Serena gets up for Maria and no matter how poorly she has played in a tournament, she plays exceptionally well against when she spies her across the net. We will see if she is motivated against Ana in order to "avenge" the AO lost the commentators mention in every other sentence.

Give me a break Serena gets up to play every one not just Maria....It annoys me when people say that crap. If that was the case all their matches would be 2 and 1. Now when she beat all her other opponents by the same score as maria does she get up for them too?:rolleyes:

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
If you were watching the match, Ana doubled over, and then doubled over again, trying to move towards the sidelines. Something was wrong with her, and they didn't call for the trainer, they called for the doctor. I'm all for keeping players safe, at it wasn't at a time when Ana was behind in the match. As to Ana taking a comfort break mid-match another time: there are reasons that women might have to, and, it sounds like you're saying they forfeited her the game. Well, fair enough.

Bull not a damn thing was the matter with Ana, she pulled that same crap when she played Serena a few weeks ago, but it was the "hip" injury. Bet if that was Serena you would be spouting a different story. This blatant bias is unfrigging believable.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
colleen66 said:
Calvy said:

I definitely believe Serena will be motivated, just not sure if she'll be as intense against Ana as she typically is against Maria. I am just hoping it not one of her recently patented slow and apprehensive starts.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
special700 said:
Moxie629 said:

Bull not a damn thing was the matter with Ana, she pulled that same crap when she played Serena a few weeks ago, but it was the "hip" injury. Bet if that was Serena you would be spouting a different story. This blatant bias is unfrigging believable.

I wouldn't say that, there was definitely something wrong her, she was crying and looked like she was having a mental break-down. I don't know if she is that good of an actress.

Here is Masha's reaction after the double fault.
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/rUqRXp8BwBA[/video]

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Congratulations to Ana, that was a hard fought battle last night and I am not sure that she will have anything left for Serena. But it is her biggest final in 6 years. She keeps improving.

Ana suffers from racing heart symptoms, sometimes they occur when the situation on court gets too intense, but sometimes it happens to her when she is training. Doctors say it is nothing serious, but it can be frightening. Usually she has to lay down for a few minutes until the heart beat settles down. Most tournaments know this and they are prepared, last night they all knew and were ready. I don't know what they gave her to swallow, usually she just needs to rest for a bit.

On the other side, not too many opponents would be considerate of this so they would all probably complain. It is their right. Frankly who likes to lose or shows compassion on tennis court?

Well done Ana!!!:clap:angel:

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
Congratulations to Ana, that was a hard fought battle last night and I am not sure that she will have anything left for Serena. But it is her biggest final in 6 years. She keeps improving.

Ana suffers from racing heart symptoms, sometimes they occur when the situation on court gets too intense, but sometimes it happens to her when she is training. Doctors say it is nothing serious, but it can be frightening. Usually she has to lay down for a few minutes until the heart beat settles down. Most tournaments know this and they are prepared, last night they all knew and were ready. I don't know what they gave her to swallow, usually she just needs to rest for a bit.

On the other side, not too many opponents would be considerate of this so they would all probably complain. It is their right. Frankly who likes to lose or shows compassion on tennis court?

Well done Ana!!!:clap:angel:
All I can do is roll my eyes that this post.....

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Fefe26 said:
does anyone have the full match?

Watch it soon. YouTube tends to remove these pretty quickly these days.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHRhnw7raM[/video]