Cilic Blah As Expected

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
TsarMatt said:
I'm really not surprised about his recent losses.

However, I agree that he is rather uncharismatic, but I quite like it. In comparison to the more flamboyant players on tour, he has a calm demeanour to him and really isn't concerned with fabricating a fake image of himself.

I think that is another way to say Cilic is a bore?

Boringly good, sure.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
Luxilon Borg said:
kskate2 said:
I think you have to cut him a little slack. It's barely been a month since he won the thing and he's never been in that position before. If he hasn't done anything by the end of the AO then it's a little more justified.

Fair enough. But unlike DelPo, who DID have the auro of a Slam Champ after winning his, there is no glitter here. I believe without the first wrist injury, DelPo goes on to consistently place in the top 5.

Yup. Delpo was already going toe to toe with the big boys. Cilic, in a way almost seems to have come from nowhere. But it takes time to cope with the reality of being a slam champ. It took Nole years to get the next one. I think this is more normal, the likes of Federer and Nadal are actually the exceptions to the rule. Most evolve like Stan and Cilic seem to be. Assuming they aren't one slam wonders of course. Interestingly while I think Stan has more talent than Marin, I think Marin may have more upside at this point

Time will tell who has more upside, but for Stan, realistically, there is not a ton of time left.

Cilic has too big a technical flaw in his forehand, and his movement is in the elite group..so I don't see it..however, I can see him possibly bagging an Aussie.

Let's not forget he had never he even gone too deep into a masters prior to his big win. I think he was the king of the 250's.