Cilic Blah As Expected

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
So Cilic wins a Grand Slam.

Loses to Murray in Beijing. Loses to Dr. Ivo in the first round in Shanghai.

Why do I feel no excitement when he plays and why do I NOT get the aura of slam champion from him?

Maybe the most Blah US Open champion in recent history.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think you have to cut him a little slack. It's barely been a month since he won the thing and he's never been in that position before. If he hasn't done anything by the end of the AO then it's a little more justified.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Definitely think it's too early to tell. Never know, he may win Paris or the WTF before year end and leave you going WTF yourself ? ;)

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
I think you have to cut him a little slack. It's barely been a month since he won the thing and he's never been in that position before. If he hasn't done anything by the end of the AO then it's a little more justified.

Fair enough. But unlike DelPo, who DID have the auro of a Slam Champ after winning his, there is no glitter here. I believe without the first wrist injury, DelPo goes on to consistently place in the top 5.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Well he did not look "blah" while winning it, but i see what you are saying. I agree with Kskate though. Early days... I am not even positive if it has sunk in yet for him.

..no not blah while winning it, that is for sure. I feel he is going to be this generations Richie K.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Definitely think it's too early to tell. Never know, he may win Paris or the WTF before year end and leave you going WTF yourself ? ;)
If he wins those, I will stand on my head. :cool:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'd wait till next year before judging him but yeah, I don't expect him to set the world on fire. Still, we should cut him some slack for now.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
kskate2 said:

Fair enough. But unlike DelPo, who DID have the auro of a Slam Champ after winning his, there is no glitter here. I believe without the first wrist injury, DelPo goes on to consistently place in the top 5.

But look at JMDP's 2009 post-USO results:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Juan-Martin-Del-Potro.aspx?t=pa&y=2009&m=s&e=0#

- First round loss in Tokyo

- Retired from his first match in Shanghai (Was that the wrist? I wonder because he then ...)

- Won his first two matches in Paris/Bercy, then retired from QF

- Got to the final of the WTF (lost to Davydenko)

- Lost in the R16 in 2010 Australia (in five sets to Cilic!), then didn't play again until September

Strange results. It may have been the wrist which caused the back-to-back retirements in Shanghai and Bercy, but then he got to the final in London -- a clear indication his wrist wasn't severely compromised. He played four rounds in Australia (two five setters, two four setters), but didn't retire then, either.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I did actually expect Cilic to do poorly in the Asian Swing, but do well in Indoor swing.
I also expected that Kei will do well in the Asian Swing, but do poorly in Indoor swing.

The first half of my prediction has come true. Let us see how the second half pans out.

Cilic has historically done well in the indoor swing, even without accounting
for his newfound GS champion aura.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Let me do some "bleeding" here. Talking of Del Potro, I don't see his name in Basel/Tokyo
either. He said he will miss the Asian Swing, but come back for the indoor swing. Does anyone
is he really planning on doing that or is it all over for the year for him.

Isabelle posted in some thread that his wrist has not healed properly, he may need
another surgery etc etc in some thread...... I don't know, may be it is true.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Luxilon Borg said:
kskate2 said:

But look at JMDP's 2009 post-USO results:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Juan-Martin-Del-Potro.aspx?t=pa&y=2009&m=s&e=0#

- First round loss in Tokyo

- Retired from his first match in Shanghai (Was that the wrist? I wonder because he then ...)

- Won his first two matches in Paris/Bercy, then retired from QF

- Got to the final of the WTF (lost to Davydenko)

- Lost in the R16 in 2010 Australia (in five sets to Cilic!), then didn't play again until September

Strange results. It may have been the wrist which caused the back-to-back retirements in Shanghai and Bercy, but then he got to the final in London -- a clear indication his wrist wasn't severely compromised. He played four rounds in Australia (two five setters, two four setters), but didn't retire then, either.

Excellent research.

I personally think ALL the results post 2009 US, and the pattern of winning some matches then retiring was due to the wrist. It only makes sense that way. The fact that he packed it in for 9 months after Australia kind of seals it for me.

The second thing that makes his results very different is that DelP was 20. Cilic turned 26 right after the US0. Cilic is much further along in his career than DelPo was.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I did actually expect Cilic to do poorly in the Asian Swing, but do well in Indoor swing.
I also expected that Kei will do well in the Asian Swing, but do poorly in Indoor swing.

The first half of my prediction has come true. Let us see how the second half pans out.

Cilic has historically done well in the indoor swing, even without accounting
for his newfound GS champion aura.

You are correct. Cilic has always done well indoors. The flat strokes, the serve...etc. Quicker points.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Another thing I found disconcerting is the way Murray brushed aside Cilic like he was an absolute nobody. He did not seem to hold him in any sort of esteem.

I know from experience, even if you have a good record against somebody, if they win a big tournament and then you have to play them, it can be intimidating. Clearly that was a factor when Stan beat Roger in Monte Carlo.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm really not surprised about his recent losses.

However, I agree that he is rather uncharismatic, but I quite like it. In comparison to the more flamboyant players on tour, he has a calm demeanour to him and really isn't concerned with fabricating a fake image of himself.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
kskate2 said:

I agree w/ that. JMDP is just a better player though w/ some serious weapons. I think the way DP won his slam was more impressive than what Cilic did. You have to remember DP defeated Nadal and had to comeback on Fed to win the final in 5 sets. Cilic beat up an elderly Fed, headcase Berd and inexperienced Nishi. Now if Kei had won it would be a completely different story, having defeated Milos, Stan (a slam winner), Novak (#1) and then Cilic would've been really sexy.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
kskate2 said:

I agree w/ that. JMDP is just a better player though w/ some serious weapons. I think the way DP won his slam was more impressive than what Cilic did. You have to remember DP defeated Nadal and had to comeback on Fed to win the final in 5 sets. Cilic beat up an elderly Fed, headcase Berd and inexperienced Nishi. Now if Kei had won it would be a completely different story, having defeated Milos, Stan (a slam winner), Novak (#1) and then Cilic would've been really sexy.

Agree about DelPo's 2009 run, beating Nadal and Fed consecutively...one of a handful of players ever to do it in the same tourney.

Nish?? Has not lost a match since New York, winning TWO consecutive titles, and ironically, playing way more confidently than the man who defeated him. It's called capitalizing.

But..I can see his injury issues are rearing their ugly head again.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
I'm really not surprised about his recent losses.

However, I agree that he is rather uncharismatic, but I quite like it. In comparison to the more flamboyant players on tour, he has a calm demeanour to him and really isn't concerned with fabricating a fake image of himself.

I think that is another way to say Cilic is a bore?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah, I always liked cilic's laid back style, languid strokes, ease about the place. When his game works, he's devastating. Just lately he's processing his win, and he may not be effective again for a while. These guys find having a target on their foreheads is a bit spooky and wearing. The top lads are used to it but Cilic will find that aspect difficult...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
kskate2 said:

Yup. Delpo was already going toe to toe with the big boys. Cilic, in a way almost seems to have come from nowhere. But it takes time to cope with the reality of being a slam champ. It took Nole years to get the next one. I think this is more normal, the likes of Federer and Nadal are actually the exceptions to the rule. Most evolve like Stan and Cilic seem to be. Assuming they aren't one slam wonders of course. Interestingly while I think Stan has more talent than Marin, I think Marin may have more upside at this point