Champions League Final - Madrid v Madrid

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Who you cheering for tonight? Real or Atletico?

My sister lives in Madrid, and she and two of her sons are Real. Her other son, and her two best friends are Atletico. I'm for Real, in la liga matters, but this is such a great season by Atletico that I feel they deserve it. Limited resources, exceptional manager, they won the league in style last weekend after faltering a little.

They're bound to be without their main striker, Diego Costa, but I think they'll still be hard to beat, they're so industrious and physically strong. It's literally impossible for me to say who'll take it.

What you think?

And who you rooting for?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
If Atletico lost the league last week, I'd be inclined to think they have little chance tonight, but not for the first time, they showed great courage in the face of it, and whatever Simeone said at half time, it had a reinvigorating effect. Either that, or the oranges. They'll be strong tonight, no question. But without Costa - if they are - where will the goals come from?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Costa plays...10 minutes. :nono

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
costa limping off was 100% going to happen.

there was plenty of twisted brain wrong behind whoever decided he shpuld play..thats about 3 aborted comebacks in recent weeks by costa.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
don't think Ronaldo is fit either..zero pace to be seen from him so far.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Gonna be hard for Real now, especially since it's another big match where the great Ronaldo is quiet...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder if young Ralph is there...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All tied up! I can't see it anywhere.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Poor match, but Real just scored!!!!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Poor match, Bale was crap, Ronaldo was crap, but Atletico ran out of steam...

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
La decima amigos!! I thought it was over, and Ramos tied it. Atletico Madrid did more running because of their technical inferiority, and were cooked by extra time. Credit to Simeone and his boys for reaching the CL final and winning La Liga on a shoestring.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Crap...2 more minutes and this was in the bag. Kudos to Ramos for the lovely header though.
Around 75th minute, bale had the ball on the right side, got in the box and there were 2 Real players open on the left and he came up with the lamest shot that went out. That was inexcusable. Ramos saved him. And where was Ronaldo? Too much home cooking from mother?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
well athletico did well and whatnot but the counter attacking brand of "park the bus" defensive football they use got punished by the team who were actually trying to push forward and create chances.

also I remember looking at athletico and thinking why does a side that is conceding a lot of corners not put defenders on each post ?..:s its a big risk but the diego someone theory was probably that not having men on near/far posts on corners isn't required because they man mark so effectively that no one ever get free from us to get in a shot/header...:idea: high risk ?..unlucky ?..too tired ?..

it worked though..until the 3rd min of injury time that it.

playing diego costa was beyond mental, :huh: I mean how many aborted comebacks does he need before reality sinks in ?. just not fit enough..he jogs around for 9mins then goes off, Ronaldo was not fully fit as we could see from his lack of pace but he surprisingly lasted thru 120 mins which was more of a shock than costa hobbling off,

this was the 59th European cup/champions league final. :)

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Simeone is phenomenal. What he did this season was astounding. But good grief, he should have taken hints. He overplayed Costa throughout the year, played him through injury, and didn't give him the rest he needed. He still won La Liga and beat Barca in the champions League despite Costa limping off with an early injury in pretty much every critical game, so what does Simeone do for this final? Why play Diego Costa, of course! As a result, he lost a crucial substitution in a match that went to extra time. Stupid.

Madrid were poor in the first half, but pushed forward in the second and the introduction of Isco and especially, Marcelo were game-changing. Ronaldo had probably his worst game this season (that didn't stop him from celebrating his goal like he won it), and Bale made some boneheaded decisions, but at least he was lively. Nevertheless, he scored the crucial goal so that's that. Di Maria however, has been Real's standout player this season (after Ronaldo). He's such a menace, and his work leading up to Bale's goal was class.

Props to Sergio Ramos too, for being a true leader, despite his flaws. He saved Casillas' butt last night.

The true credit though, should go to Carlo Ancelotti. Yes, the decision to play Khedira off of a 6 months layoff was questionable at best, but everything else he's done this year was phenomenal. He took over a side that had locker room trouble due to Mourinho, and really brought it together. Not only that, but the gambles he's taken really paid off.\

For starters, he sold Ozil, which everyone thought was a bad decision, and decided to keep Di Maria. Common wisdom would have dictated that Di Maria should be sold since he plays in the same position as Bale. He gave Di Maria a new role, in the middle of the park, and ditched the playmaker role that used to be played by Ozil.

He also stated from the get-go that he will show full confidence in Modric, who turned out to be one of the players of the season and really ran the show in midfield throughout the year.

He sort of rectified the goalkeeping situation by playing Diego Lopez in La Liga and Casillas in the champions league, thus giving both playing time and avoiding unneeded tension.

He reinstated Pepe in the squad after Mourinho had given up on him in favor of Varane. Pepe's performances in the Bayern series alone justified that decision (he was injured last night and that's why he didn't play).

Yes, Ancelotti had an obscenely talented squad and a lot of money at his disposal, but so did Mourinho. His accomplishment shouldn't be understated and it's no coincidence he's won the champions league 3 times as a coach. He's a far better fit at Madrid than Mourinho (and I say that as a huge admirer of Jose's managing skills), as he's more low profile and creates a far better atmosphere in the locker room and with the media. Props to the man.