Brisbane 2014 - ATP 250

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw is out.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2014/339/mds.pdf

Fed has a bye in the first round and need to play basically only four matches.

After an easy second round match, Fed might have to face Julian Benneteau in the
third round. JB is a weird guy who has never won a title (not even in a small event),
but can give severe headache to Fed. JB defeated Fed as recently as Rotterdam'13
and has given trouble in Grandslams too.

Nishikori, Simon and Hewitt who have won against Fed in the past are in the
other half.

This is a top-15 free field for Fed. He will never get such a field in any
tournament for the rest of this year. Nothing short of winning the title can
be considered a good result for Fed.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed has already arrived in Brisbane, 5days ahead of his first singles match.

Another interesting news. Roger is playing in Doubles also in Brisbane.
He is playing with Nicolas Mahut, the marathon man.

Unfortunately, they have drawn the no. 1 seed in the very 1st match.

It is going to be Roger ( & Mahut) vs. Rojer (& Tecau).

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Youngderer should beware of Julien B, a tricky opponent for him but maybe Edberg can help ?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Benneteau is a good honest player and it'll certainly test Roger, if Federer is using the larger racket. But I expect him to start the season strongly and win this tourney. He's definitely motivated and a new racket and new coach is going to have him licking his chops.

By the way, is there any truth in the rumour that the 2015 season will begin the day before the WTF ends? It's kind of odd that the New Year hasn't even come yet and these events will have begun...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Come on Julian! He's gonna get a title eventually. He has a great game.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
R1 results:

Dimi def. Haase 6-2,6-3
Querrey def. Tursunov 7-5, 6-4
Nieminen def Duckworth 6-2, 6-3
Cilic def. Istomin 6-7, 7-6, 6-3
Matosevic - Benneteau 5-7, 6-4, 7-6

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Matosevic's win is impressive.

That's a good win alright. Still find it completely unfair that Cilic is allowed back on tour while Troicki is not. A complete joke.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So Benneteau is out, Matosevic played a great match nothing to say

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
bobvance said:
Here's a link of some highlights from Federer's doubles match with Mahut. Federer is using the new 98-inch stick and looked pretty good. I"m anxious to see how he performs in singles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LTul2h2VMo

Thanks Bobvance...great highlights. The drop volley from Fed there tells me he has got the feel of the racket already...if not %100, pretty close.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
bobvance said:
Here's a link of some highlights from Federer's doubles match with Mahut. Federer is using the new 98-inch stick and looked pretty good. I"m anxious to see how he performs in singles.

Great highlights. Cheers for that, bobvance. Hard to gauge too much from 2:43 worth of highlights but seems he's very sharp with the new racquet there and some magic touch at the net.

bobvance

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Front242 said:
bobvance said:

Great highlights. Cheers for that, bobvance. Hard to gauge too much from 2:43 worth of highlights but seems he's very sharp with the new racquet there and some magic touch at the net.

I agree with you and Murat. Fed looks like he's pretty comfortable with the new racquet. He had a couple of nice backhands on returns too. Still, I'm only cautiously optimistic since as you said these are highlights, and from a doubles match to boot.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
There are 2 good things to ponder anyway: firstly, hopefully less shanks thanks to a far bigger sweet spot and secondly a good deal of much needed extra power. He really was old school as &^%* for years against these younger guys with bigger, stronger racquets/strings and any added oomph is good, especially with the serve and forehand.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That was a good doubles win, especially considering that it is against the #1 seeded team
at the tourney.

Anyway, the important point of the win is that it gives him one more match to practice
playing with his new wand and get used to it.

coban

Futures Player
Reactions
I just saw the highlights of the Federer vs. Nieminen game - is he using the new stick there as well?

coban

Futures Player
Reactions
1972Murat said:
coban said:
I just saw the highlights of the Federer vs. Nieminen game - is he using the new stick there as well?

He is Coban. Good win for a first match as well. Neimenen is one of those guys that can screw up any players rhythm.

There were some pretty good exchanges in the highlights - his forehand and inside-out looked really strong, like it had a couple ekstra mph's.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Beside Roger's match, ther results today:

Nishikori - Ebden 6-2, 6-4
Cilic - Dimitrov 7-5, 7-5
Matosevic - Querrey 5-7, 7-6, 6-4.

Great win for Matosevic again, dissapointing by Grigor. Marin Cilic used to be a solid top 20 player, so it is no shame in losing to him, but people are expecting more from Dimi.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
coban said:

Yes, black stick with white grip. Looks bigger head than the one he had before. Works well with it.