Breaking - Rafa injured, out of Rogers Cup, Cincy, USO

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
News just tweeted by a number of sources. He is defending champion at both, so that is 2,000 ranking points.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Breaking - Rafa injured, out of Rogers Cup, Cincy

Moose said:
News just tweeted by a number of sources. He is defending champion at both, so that is 2,000 ranking points.

Can you link a source, please?

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Ben Rothenberg @BenRothenberg · 15m
BREAKING: Rafael Nadal injured himself in practice yesterday and is pulling out of Canada+Cincinnati Masters (he's defending champ at both).

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/494512318479618048

Ben is a tennis reporter for the New York Times, and is the guy that broke the Neil Harman plagiarism story last week.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Okay, thanks Moose.

We'll have to wait and see if there's anything in it...

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

Just reading the same thing. He injured himself yesterday. A statement from his camp is expected shortly.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Ben says Nadal's camp will be issuing a statement shortly.

Not Rafa's biggest fan, but the big events are always diminished when they are missing the top players.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

To be optimistic, rafa is a believer in the preventative break, so it could be something minor he doesn't want to further agitate before the USO, which is the most important title to defend.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1972Murat said:
I will believe it when I hear it from the horse's (Toni) mouth.

And Riot, I highly doubt Rafa is defending the Open title without playing anywhere else before it.

Stranger things have happened. He will have more than a couple of rounds to play into form.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1972Murat said:
I will believe it when I hear it from the horse's (Toni) mouth.

And Riot, I highly doubt Rafa is defending the Open title without playing anywhere else before it.

I also have a superstitious policy of never writing rafa off, as if it would effect actual outcomes.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

He wouldn't skip events if he wasn't injured. A preventative one would only be because he doesn't want to make an existing injury worse.

If this rumour is true, then skipping 2 MS events where he's defending champ is a sign he's not gonna be ready for the USO... :nono

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:
He wouldn't skip events if he wasn't injured. A preventative one would only be because he doesn't want to make an existing injury worse.

If this rumour is true, then skipping 2 MS events where he's defending champ is a sign he's not gonna be ready for the USO... :nono

That is what I meant, and I think what I said. Didn't say he was milking it. I think Novak made the right choice to sit out Madrid for his wrist. I think he technically could have played, but was injured. Obviously wait until rafa announces.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Riotbeard said:
Kieran said:

That is what I meant, and I think what I said. Didn't say he was milking it. I think Novak made the right choice to sit out Madrid for his wrist. I think he technically could have played, but was injured. Obviously wait until rafa announces.

Exactly. Let's wait and see. Rumours on the internet have been known to be unreliable, even if they come from Twitter... ;)

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

July 30, 2014

TENNIS CANADA
NADAL WITHDRAWS FROM ROGERS CUP PRESENTED BY NATIONAL BANK
Wrist injury to keep No. 2 player in the world out of action in Toronto

Toronto, July 30, 2014 - Tennis Canada announced Wednesday that world No. 2 Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from Rogers Cup presented by National Bank in Toronto due to a right wrist injury.

“I’m extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my Rogers Cup title this year,” said Nadal. “I was looking forward to coming there and playing again in Toronto as I have always loved to play in Canada and had great results in the past at a very important event. Unfortunately I injured myself yesterday during practice and after checking with my doctors I will have to stay out of competition for at least 2-3 weeks. I am sorry to the tournament and to all of the fans.”

This is only the second time since Nadal made his Rogers Cup debut in 2004 that he has missed the Canadian stop on the ATP World Tour.

“We know Rafa is a fan favourite and our fans will be upset by his absence,” said Karl Hale, Rogers Cup tournament director. “But we also know that if Rafa could play he would as he has a great respect for our event and his Canadian fans. We wish him well and hope he returns to the Tour healthy as soon as possible.”

Rogers Cup will still boast eight of the Top 10 players in the world, including world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, 17-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer and Canadian superstar Milos Raonic. With Nadal’s withdrawal, two-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray moves into the No. 8 seed, giving him a first round bye.

Rogers Cup presented by National Bank in Toronto will take place from August 2-10 at the Rexall

:nono:nono:nono:nono:nono

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Western and Southern (Cincy) has also confirmed Rafa's withdrawal from their event, citing a wrist injury.

http://www.cincytennis.com/news/defending_champion_rafael_nadal__withdraws_due_to_wrist_injury/

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com

Big shame for Rafa, the tournament and the fans (depending on who you support). This could be a game changer for somebody though.

Murray goes from 9th seed to 8th so he now gets a first round bye and can't face anyone ranked above him until the QFs, with Berdy now a potential opponent in that round instead of Rafa.

With one of the two major roadblocks out of the way, the door may be open for a Raonic or a Dimitrov to nab a big title here.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

TennisFanatic7 said:
Big shame for Rafa, the tournament and the fans (depending on who you support). This could be a game changer for somebody though.

Murray goes from 9th seed to 8th so he now gets a first round bye and can't face anyone ranked above him until the QFs, with Berdy now a potential opponent in that round instead of Rafa.

With one of the two major roadblocks out of the way, the door may be open for a Raonic or a Dimitrov to nab a big title here.

And the one who will benefit the most is Roger, who will be seeded 2 in both masters. I am sure Darthfed will be very happy;

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

That is too bad and too sad. I don't know why something keeps happening again and
again to Rafa?

If he has withdrawn from Canada only and entered Cincy, I can believe in the
"saving himself" for USO theory. Given that he has dropped from both, I don't
believe in that theory anymore. It is serious and unfortunate.