Super Tie-Breakers in AO from 2019?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure whether this was discussed anywhere. Apparently, [URL='https://www.si.com/tennis/2018/12/06/australian-open-final-set-tiebreaker-added-early-2019'] AO is planning to stop the final set at 6-6 and play a STB . For the uninitiated, the STB is much like a regular tie break except that the winner has to reach 10 with a diff of at least two. Apparently, they may start doing this even from 2019 AO.[/URL]

I hate those super tie breakers. Unlike the regular tie breakers, they are not exciting. Due to their length, it does not feel like every point is life or death. In fact, it has been said that whoever is leading at midway point in STB often end up losing it.

While I don't mind a TB in the fifth set, I certainly mind a STB.

Perhaps, AO should stick to regular TB, but play at a different point in the 5th set (say at 9-9 or 8-8 or 10-10), if they badly feel the need to differentiate themselves.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a hard time finding a huge difference between a STB and a regular TB. It's just 3 points, and the plus 2 differential makes it essentially the same. I don't see how it drops the drama. And who actually said that whoever leads in the STB midway ends up losing it? Do we even have a STB in ATP singles? It's not the same as a doubles STB, for example. But I am rather with you and Wimbledon that it seems better to extend the set, and push the TB off to later. I'd say 9-9. More often than not, it seems you get a break before that, so it's a good place to set the TB. Then I'd be happy with either.

Reactions: atttomole

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I have seen many STBs in Men's, Women's and Mixed Doubles matches. They are not definitely as exciting as the regular tie breakers. It is conventional wisdom that whoever is leading at mid point loses them (I am sure the conventional wisdom arose due to the stat associated with them).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't find anything for super tie break other than the doubles kind. Can you link to a video so we can see how it goes? Is it regular tour matches, or only used in futures/challengers? Everything I google just comes up with the doubles one, which is completely in lieu of a final set.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't find anything for super tie break other than the doubles kind. Can you link to a video so we can see how it goes? Is it regular tour matches, or only used in futures/challengers? Everything I google just comes up with the doubles one, which is completely in lieu of a final set.

I don't think STBs where ever played in singles matches before.

Now, you know from where the thinking behind it came from. Since they were eliminating a whole set, they felt compelled to use a longer version of TB.

However, at AO no set is being eliminated and so STB does not make sense.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems to me, as described, it is nothing like a double's STB. It's just a 3 points longer TB at 6-6. I think they're wrong to use the phrase "super-tie break." They're just extending the TB. I go back to preferring they make it at 9-9, and with a regular TB. There is something to be said that players are used to pace themselves in certain ways. I'm not sure why reaching to 10 is in any way better.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The STB described by them is exactly same as the current doubles STB. I don't know why you have so much trouble getting it.

It is not just 3 points longer. The exact number of points by which it will be longer will vary. The winner has to reach 10 points
and at that time, the other player's score should be 8 or less. Then the match is over. Otherwise, they play on until the winner
has a two point lead over the loser.

In a regular tie break, the score could be 7-5 and in an STB the score could be 10-8 {of course, there are so many other
score lines possible}. In that case, it is actually six extra points.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought the doubles STB skips the last set all together. Just goes first to 10 or +2. Maybe it's different at majors.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought the doubles STB skips the last set all together. Just goes first to 10 or +2. Maybe it's different at majors.

Yes, in doubles they play STB in lieu of deciding set.

However, the format that AO plans to use at 6-6 in the fifth set is exactly the same STB.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, in doubles they play STB in lieu of deciding set.

However, the format that AO plans to use at 6-6 in the fifth set is exactly the same STB.
Except that the not skipping of the last set makes it really different, in structure and drama, if you ask me. Not trying to be combative, but I don't see it as at all like the dubs structure.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Except that the not skipping of the last set makes it really different, in structure and drama, if you ask me. Not trying to be combative, but I don't see it as at all like the dubs structure.

The format of the STB is exactly the same.

The point of a TB is to bring the game to a quick decision and as a byproduct make every point vital and interesting. With STB being long, it will not make every point vital and hence is a bad design.

In the doubles, they made the STB a longer version of regular TB as it replaces the third set. Especially as the STB is not replacing any set in AO, it makes lot more sense to have a regular TB.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
they want to avoid a marathon like Isner/ Nico in Wimbly

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Didnt they play super tie breaks in next gen finals?

I ll tell you they are nice to play in the club when you dont have time for another set

Enviado de meu MotoE2(4G-LTE) usando o Tapatalk

Reactions: Moxie

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't have anything against new rule change now finally. I have faced my emotional resistances to these things and made it clear to myself about their practicality and usefulness. Tennis could get more exciting with more meaningful points. Allow lets. Sets at 4 (difference of two). All of a sudden I'm convinced.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't have anything against new rule change now finally. I have faced my emotional resistances to these things and made it clear to myself about their practicality and usefulness. Tennis could get more exciting with more meaningful points. Allow lets. Sets at 4 (difference of two). All of a sudden I'm convinced.

Exactly, change is great. :clap: Next they should also make the Australian open on clay, stop using stupid roofs, and eliminate the second serve. :good: Tennis would be even more exciting. :yesyes:

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Exactly, change is great. :clap: Next they should also make the Australian open on clay, stop using stupid roofs, and eliminate the second serve. :good: Tennis would be even more exciting. :yesyes:

The clay should be blue. And the lone serve should be clocked. I just added it for you there for a quest for interesting tennis.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
The clay should be blue. And the lone serve should be clocked. I just added it for you there for a quest for interesting tennis.
Also a serve above 130 wins the point irrespective of what the returner does

Players should also have 3 points per set where 1 point counts for 2 if they win.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Also, there will be a shot clock used at AO main draw matches this year. I believe 2018 USO was the first time it was used in main draw matches.

Also, ATP has decided to increase the time to 25 seconds (before it used to be 20 at ATP and 25 at GSs officially, even though neither one was actually enforced) and is planning on using shot clock in all ATP 1000 events and the WTF.

ATP will allow but not require the 500 and 250 events to use shot clock.

While there is no explicit word from RG and Wimby folks, I would assume they too will follow suit.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
according to L'Equipe, Sasha's against super-tiebreak

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Always going to be a fan of the shot clock.

Prefer the old drama of no AO final set tiebreak. Same with Wimbledon's new rule of TB at 12-all.