Borg-Vilas 86 shot rally

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Let me know who wins the match as soon as it's over. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is a restricted clip so I can't see it. Who won the rally? That is basically one set worth of strokes in one rally! Hell, it could be more!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They played a lot of long rallies. Personally, I loved their matches. It made me a fan of clay. It's not boring...they are two great clay courters respecting each other, playing cat and mouse for an advantage.

Reactions: shawnbm

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Clearly, the pace of the game is very slow compared to modern tennis (even when restricted to modern clay matches).

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True, but that had to do with the racquets and strings of that time; players were brought up to not hit at 100% each strike as the risk of it saikibgbout was too high. One modulated the stroke for maximum efficiency with power, but they could and did hit it hard.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True, but that had to do with the racquets and strings of that time; players were brought up to not hit at 100% each strike as the risk of it saikibgbout was too high. One modulated the stroke for maximum efficiency with power, but they could and did hit it hard.
I think you're right that it was down to the equipment. I don't think the courts have changed in composition at RG or MC or Rome. (This match was at RG.) But with the old wooden racquets and gut strings, the players had to be even more patient against a dangerous opponent with great clay chops.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Exactly mate. If players in the modern game were taking cuts at the ball like they do now with that equipment than people would be ducking in Row Z of the grandstand.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I figured that one was coming.