Bob Dylan's Radio Theme Hour

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BOB DYLAN DISC JOCKEY !!! Is there no end to this music icon's talents :cool:

Let's start with songs that feature 'Jail' either in the title or refers to it.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This Bob Dylan radio show was a revelation. He has a great voice for radio, a lot of humour and anecdotes about the music, a great idea of sticking to one topic, as above, and listening to this passed many an hour for me when it first came out. I think he topped it up recently with an episode about whiskey, ostensibly to plug his own product, but I'm sure it's of a similar calibre. I remember him musing during one episode: "alcohol, it kills everything that's living, and preserves everything that's dead..."

:lulz1:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is the first one -

Theme Time Radio Hour,
Episode 1 : Weather ,
Air date : 3 May 2006,

Fabulous artists and tracks range includes -

Rainin' In My Heart (Single Version) by Slim HARPO, Stormy Weather by The Spaniels,
I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine by Dean MARTIN and Let The Four Winds Blow
by Fats DOMINO...

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, the whiskey episode. But look at those ironworks he welds, they're pretty attractive and it seems like he's been preoccupied by this for decades. He has a massive workshop. He built gates for many famous people who asked him, including the Clintons, if memory serves. Interesting bloke...

Reactions: Vince Evert

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This is the first one -

Theme Time Radio Hour,
Episode 1 : Weather ,
Air date : 3 May 2006,

Fabulous artists and tracks range includes -

Rainin' In My Heart (Single Version) by Slim HARPO, Stormy Weather by The Spaniels,
I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine by Dean MARTIN and Let The Four Winds Blow
by Fats DOMINO...

Without listening, can I guess as to whether "Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you." is on there as well as "Singing in the rain" or maybe "Raindrops keep falling on my head" or "Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain".

Edit: After listening I'm amazed he didn't play his own song "Blowin in the Wind". I'm gutted too.

I love this thread idea, Vince but I like the fun of guessing what songs will be played before listening. I'd have had a few more guesses but thought I'd have annoyed everyone else. If no-one else minds, is it possible for you to tell us what the theme is before sharing so we can have a little guessing game before listening for the fun of it. It might also help us get to know each other better as our choices will tell everyone what songs we know &/ like & listen to & what genres of music we like & listen to. I guessed myself before listening just for the fun of it then listened. I was totally wrong but it was fun. No offense intended. I like to have fun & games with people as well as be serious & share.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions

Without listening, I guess he hasn't got "Campbelton Loch" & "Here's to Scottish Whiskey" on there. If he has I'll have to "Raise a glass & sing Slainte Mhath".

(Last quote is from The Lass of Bon Accord.)

Horsa

Reactions
Yeah, the whiskey episode. But look at those ironworks he welds, they're pretty attractive and it seems like he's been preoccupied by this for decades. He has a massive workshop. He built gates for many famous people who asked him, including the Clintons, if memory serves. Interesting bloke...
Wow! That's amazing. He's really a multi-talented guy, then. I wonder if he could do the other part of a blacksmith's job which is to be a farrier & shoe horses. (Well, you probably had some idea I was going to come out with that.)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like i said in my OP, is there no end to this music legends talents. He's nearing 80 too (May 2021).

Reactions: Kieran

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Episode # 24, Time
First aired 11th October 2006

Horsa

Reactions
I'm very sorry for acting like a stupid little kid just wanting to play when I responded the other day. I was just in a very playful mood. Other than knitting & quilting I've run out of the creative tasks I got set for work & the small research & quick archival training tasks. I've been doing a very thorough job of the research & report-writing job I'm onto & it's very interesting. I've learnt a lot but I'm bored of it now even though it's something I'm really interested in. I've been getting head-aches & writers cramp. I've almost written 400 pages & run out 50 pens. (I guess I could take a bit of a break.) I've even just been reading other things & watching DVDs on other things just to give me a break. I just wanted a break & to have some fun.

Since then, I've listened to the programmes you shared. I think they're very good. I've got a lot to say about them later. Be prepared.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm very sorry for acting like a stupid little kid just wanting to play when I responded the other day. I was just in a very playful mood. Other than knitting & quilting I've run out of the creative tasks I got set for work & the small research & quick archival training tasks. I've been doing a very thorough job of the research & report-writing job I'm onto & it's very interesting. I've learnt a lot but I'm bored of it now even though it's something I'm really interested in. I've been getting head-aches & writers cramp. I've almost written 400 pages & run out 50 pens. (I guess I could take a bit of a break.) I've even just been reading other things & watching DVDs on other things just to give me a break. I just wanted a break & to have some fun.

Since then, I've listened to the programmes you shared. I think they're very good. I've got a lot to say about them later. Be prepared.
You're forgiven :confused:

Hey i have a good theme night regarding your next do with keeping the senior folks occupied and entertain. Theme night can be based on popular tunes (and some that were not) based around male and female names, especially the later ! What do you think?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Back on topic now.

The next theme Time Radio Hour is all based on New York.,
Episode # 48, First aired, 4th April 2007.

Again very good range of music and the contexts are fantastic, including Going New York by Jimmy Reed, Autumn in New York City by Charlie Parker and Down and Out in New York City by Soul music icon, James Brown.

Curiously Bob didn't have New York City by either John Lennon or Marc Bolan (same title but different songs) on his playlist then.

Horsa

Reactions
You're forgiven :confused:

Hey i have a good theme night regarding your next do with keeping the senior folks occupied and entertain. Theme night can be based on popular tunes (and some that were not) based around male and female names, especially the later ! What do you think?
Thank you very much.

I think your idea is very good however, the musical part of my job has been postponed due to this virus. We aren't even doing Xmas events & parties this year.

Horsa

Reactions
Back on topic now.

The next theme Time Radio Hour is all based on New York.,
Episode # 48, First aired, 4th April 2007.

Again very good range of music and the contexts are fantastic, including Going New York by Jimmy Reed, Autumn in New York City by Charlie Parker and Down and Out in New York City by Soul music icon, James Brown.

Curiously Bob didn't have New York City by either John Lennon or Marc Bolan (same title but different songs) on his playlist then.

I'm very sorry I brought your thread off-topic. I have some relevant comments for your last posts but haven't got round to making them yet.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thank you very much.

I think your idea is very good however, the musical part of my job has been postponed due to this virus. We aren't even doing Xmas events & parties this year.
Oh that's a shame. Perhaps next (second half of) next year then. When you do, you may want to adopt some of these 15 years old BOBSTER radio themes.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm very sorry I brought your thread off-topic. I have some relevant comments for your last posts but haven't got round to making them yet.
aw don't give it a thought. Certainly it's not uncommon for a thread to get off topic on many a messageboard.

Horsa

Reactions
aw don't give it a thought. Certainly it's not uncommon for a thread to get off topic on many a messageboard.
I noticed. I don't want to spoil everyone's fun though.

I think I'll make it up to you with the relevant comments I've got to make about the programmes you shared though when I've got time. They left my head whizzing with lots of things I felt I needed to say. Don't worry! I don't forget much so I'll still remember everything & an interesting conversation could come out of it.

Horsa

Reactions
Oh that's a shame. Perhaps next (second half of) next year then. When you do, you may want to adopt some of these 15 years old BOBSTER radio themes.
It is. However, singing is seen as a high risk activity at the moment with the Coronavirus going around. I hope so. I may do. I noticed there were some 20's & 30's songs I may want to incorporate into my 1920's & 1940's days. I don't sing 1920's jazz on 1920's days though as I've got to dress in period costume & if I sung 1920's jazz I'd have to dress like a 1920's flapper girl. I like the 1920's flapper girl clothes style but not the hair-cut. I've got Scots/Irish hair & it doesn't look nice short. (By that I mean it's very thick & curly like a Scottish Hielander *Highlander* had but it's not ginger or copper like a Scot but brown like an Irish-woman's. I do incorporate jazz into my 1940's days though as I just wear 1940's costume & make-up & don't need a hair-cut. I'd add some songs Bob missed & miss out some Bob added.