Biofile: Yoshihito Nishioka Interview

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

By Scoop Malinowski

Status: ATP ranked no. 166 in singles. Was ranked at a career high 58 in March of 2017 when he suffered a season-ending knee surgery at Miami Open while leading Jack Sock.

Ht: 5-7 Wt: 145

DOB: September 27, 1995 In: Tsu, Japan

First Tennis Memory: “I remember I play tournament, I think first time tournament, I was seven years old maybe, with mom. It’s doubles. I remember that tournament.”

Last Book Read: “Actually I don’t read. I read only Manga (Japanese comics).”

Current Car: “I cannot drive. I don’t have license.”

First Famous Player You Met Or Encountered: “Shuzo (Matsuoka).”

Greatest Career Moment: “[Pause]…I have so many memories…maybe…maybe when I got gold medal in Asian Games.”

Most Painful Moment: “Worst moment…that’s a tough question. I don’t know what was the worst. Maybe I forgot everything [laughs].”

Favorite Sport Outside Tennis: “I love soccer.”

Funniest Player: “I love Marcelo Rios. (Why?) Because he’s very talented on the court so I love to watch him.”

Embarrassing Tennis Memory: “It’s not professional tennis but when I was a junior I was winning 5-0 and then opponent coming back (and won) thirteen games in a row [smiles]. Then I lost. The kid was trying the same thing but I cannot get a game. I was up 5-0 and then down 57 06. In Japan tournament.”

Favorite Meal: “Japanese food, it’s called Yakinuki (grilled meat cuisine).”

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “Chocolate mint.”

Why Do You Love Tennis: “In the beginning my dad start in tennis. So that’s why I play tennis. But…I don’t know why. I didn’t think of why I love tennis but I love to, like, battle the opponent. It’s not fighting but it’s using everything, skill, speed, power. And then if I beat the opponent I’m very happy. And then if I lost I’m gonna be mad. But I’m gonna think why I lost. So I like the challenge.”

Tennis Inspirations: “First one – Nadal. And then second one – Verdasco. And now it’s Rios.”

People Qualities Most Admired: “One is very kind for the people to the other person. And then other one maybe funny. Funny people.”

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
He is a feisty player. Hope, he comes back healthy and has a good year.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Gamesetandmoth; I hope Nishioka goes to top five and eventually no. 1. If any player under 5-10 can do it, Nishioka can. This guy has magic in his eyes, hands and feet. Put a beatdown on Berdych in IW from 16 15 down - I don't think Fed or Rafa could even do that. Took Rafa to a first set tiebreaker in the first match they played. Fed could not even do that :) Fed lost 36 36 to Rafa in Miami the first time they played.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Maybe the elbow is a over because he's lost his mojo and his aura of invincibility and with all the hard work it did not come back as he hoped?

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

A lot of mileage on that Djokovic body, all those long physical matches from his dominant years could be catching up with him.