Biofile: Sebastian Korda Interview

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
DUhK6H9XUAA0iU4.jpg

By Scoop Malinowski

Status: 2018 Australian Open junior boys champion. ATP ranking is 842.

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 183

DOB: July 5, 2000 In: Bradenton, FL

First Tennis Memory: “I actually hit my first tennis ball on these courts when I was three or four. With my dad. (Note: Interview was conducted at El Conquistador Tennis Club in Bradenton, FL site of the 2017 Sarasota Open ATP Challenger.)

Tennis Inspirations: “My dad (Petr) always inspired me. I always loved watching Nadal. He always inspires me.”

Last Book Read: “Actually, Roger Federer’s book. Really loved it. And Nadal’s book. I don’t read that much. Only tennis [smiles].”

Current Car: “No. But I have my permit. Occasionally I drive with my parents or my older sisters.”

First Famous Player You Met Or Encountered (besides father of course): “Probably Radek Stepanek.”

Greatest Career Moment (so far): “Definitely winning Australian Open juniors.”

Most Painful Moment: “Probably losing at US Open juniors.”

Strangest Match: “Junior Davis Cup. I was cramping. In Budapest.”

Favorite Sports Outside Tennis: “Hockey and golf.”

Three Athletes You Like To Watch & Follow: “Roger Federer, Nadal and Andy Murray.”

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “Strawberry or vanilla.”

Embarrassing Tennis Memory: “I don’t think so. Hopefully don’t have one [laughs].”

Why Do You Love Playing Tennis: “I just love the game. Always loved it since I was little. Just love competing out there. I always have a blast out on court.”

People Qualities Most Admired: “Always love humor. Love to laugh.”

Reactions: britbox

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Really impressed by Korda. He was down early then forced the breaker. Down 2-5 in the breaker but never wilted or showed negative. Always showed a demeanor of self assuredness. Tall and rangy with very good power and elegant movement. Has every shot in his arsenal and the ability to hit stunning winners suddenly. Two time Australian open champ Johan Kriek said last week after seeing Korda play live that he will be top ten in the world. That sounds like a very generous projection but it might actually be an underestimation. Yes, Korda was that impressive.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Hartt; Petr is tall and his wife is quite tall also.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Stepanek won two Davis Cups and both times he closed it out in the live fifth rubber singles match, it all came down to Steps - that equals tennis legendary status. Not even Fed or Rafa or Hewitt did that. Plus he and Paes beat Bryans in Aus Open final. Step is a legend.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Watching Klahn vs Fritz in Dallas. Klahn was up a break in third 32 but Fritz broke back with by zeroing in on Klahn backhand which is now only offering neutral slices. Fritz is dominating that BH now and at the right time going to the FH and forcing Klahn to hit the running fh which he is not as good at as when he's set up he really clouts a heavy FH. Fritz should win this, for second win in four days vs Klahn.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

McDonald is red hot right now jg. Tiafoe is struggling with his game and confidence. McDonald has a big time coach in Wayne Ferreira and he came within a set of beating Wawrinka in Melbourne. I saw several matches of McDonald late last year and he's hitting the ball hard and his serve is a weapon. Double Mac is a rising force right now.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Chazz, I think Fritz has an excellent chance at being in the top four or five American group very soon. Sock, Querrey, Isner, Harrison, Johnson...I can see Fritz busting into that echelon soon.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Correction Dan. Sandgren, Fritz and McDonald are the best Americans so far this year.