Best Features for a Tennis App

What do you want to see in any new app?

• Playing - Match me with Opponents in my area

• Playing - Show me detailed Match Statistics

• Playing - Voice recognition & voice feedback during matches

• Pro Matches - Show me live match scores in an interactive manner

• Local Matches - See best players in area in a cool ranking environment

• Other (please state in the post below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

DavidW

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Hi guys, I'm very new to the forum...but I wanted to reach out to everyone who follows & plays in the world of tennis to start an interesting discussion.

I'm very keen on developing a new iOS tennis app in the coming months and I therefore wanted to open up this post to see what you guys and gals... as users, players & enthusiasts would find useful, when playing amateur or following professional tennis games on your mobile devices.

There are plenty of semi-successful apps out there but my initial thoughts are:
- Player Matching / Finding Hitting Partners
- Scoring & Collecting Detailed Statistics
- Live Professional Matches & Interactive Scoring

So, 4 initial questions to stimulate some discussion:
  1. What do you think are the best apps out there currently?
  2. What do you think is good about those existing apps?
  3. What would you like to see improved?
  4. What is it that you would like to see that does not exist currently?

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

DavidW

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I wouldn't find an ios app very useful as I'm on Android.

Hehe that's OK. The same still applies, as if the iOS goes well... I would be wanting to get an Android version together in time for October/November. Platform / phone aside, what would you like to see?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Probably a live scoreboard for club tennis matches. I'd thought about doing one but don"t have time.

All the players in the club comp can score their games on their phones... and can see the in-match scores of fellow players out on court... and the scores could also be displayed on a screen in the clubhouse.

DavidW

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
That's the intention Britbox but I must admit, I hadn't contemplated incorporated club specific results or club specific leaderboards as being something of such importance until now. The plan has been to make it location dependent, but if I can find a way to have clubs/groups set-up... you're right that that would be farrrr more interactive :) Thanks!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If you think about it then you only need to get a couple of the people running the club to adopt the system and they will basically then be doing the work of getting their members setup on it... so you might be persuading one person to adopt it and then 40+ people adopting it as a knock on effect.

You could have a free (advert supported version) and then the paid (non-ad) version... and then expand the app to incorporate other stuff like tennis news, hitting partner directory etc...

You'd probably need a central website and database to support and complement the apps. You could run the app initially as cross-platform web app before getting the native ones done.

Reactions: DavidW