Barcelona Open 2017, Barcelona, Spain, ATP 500

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Busted said:
El Dude said:
Congrats to Rafa. I think it is safe to say that the King of Clay is back. I imagine it is going to be very tempting to want to go for the clay sweep, and play both Madrid and Rome.

Considering he literally has no competition in the finals? It's not really all that surprising, is it? Let's see - #24 Ramos-Vinolas in Monte Carlo...and #8 Thiem in Barcelona. Neither player has won any major titles - no Slams, no 1000 events - and Thiem only has 1 500 event title and that was on hard courts in Acapulco against that idiot Bernie Tomic. I mean, really...if he hadn't won these 2 titles on clay against these 2 players he might as well go ahead and retire. All he has to do to have easy wins Rome and Madrid is wait for Andy and Novak to lose before the final. All the haters who have crapped on Federer's 3 big titles this year like to point out that he hasn't had to play Murray or Djokovic - well, neither has Nadal. Not that I'm saying it's his fault because you can only play whoever shows up on the other side of the net. But, you have to admit - Roger's 3 wins are more impressive because he had to beat Nadal and Wawrinka. Nadal's wins - on clay - against the world #24 and world #8 - a talented kid who hasn't quite put all the pieces together yet? Not nearly as impressive - or surprising.
Again it's your opinion..I am not gonna challenge it.. Ramos Vinolas is the real deal..ask Murray., I felt he really outplayed Andy and just wasn't able to get pass Andy in the final set tbr...True Rafa due to no fault of his own didn't face Murray or one of the top five..however..there's always a However from AP ;)..defeating Thiem and Goffin who are playing top ten tennis is a quality win..yes.. I would prefer these victories were over Roger, Novak , Stan or Andy..but it is what it is..it ain't easy what Nadal has accomplished..even on clay..if you ever played on clay you know how an unforgiving surface it is to play on

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Busted said:
the AntiPusher said:
I am really surprised Roger is entering RG..I thought he wouldn't have anything on his radar but the grass. I guess he knows his body .

He can always pull out if he's not into it after practicing on the clay. As he said in the Tennis Channel interview - he doesn't want to be at tournaments just because people want him there. He wants to be enthusiastic about it. Forget those hefty appearance fees. He's got plenty of money. :lolz:

Busted ..I absolutely guarantee Roger will do just that.. collect the appearance fees..and say that he is unable to play due to ....

Come on folks, there is no appearance fee in Grandslams and ATP 1000 events.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
Busted said:
He can always pull out if he's not into it after practicing on the clay. As he said in the Tennis Channel interview - he doesn't want to be at tournaments just because people want him there. He wants to be enthusiastic about it. Forget those hefty appearance fees. He's got plenty of money. :lolz:

Busted ..I absolutely guarantee Roger will do just that.. collect the appearance fees..and say that he is unable to play due to ....

Are you sure

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:

Are you sure

Yes, absolutely sure. Well, not sure about Monte carlo as it is a non-mandatory tourney. But, the four GSs and the eight mandatory ATP 1000 events are not allowed to offer appearance fee to players.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I see there's a lot of allegation on Roger for winning biggies without facing Novak or Andy.

I think we should see the following:

1) Nishi, Wawrinka and Nadal all played their best at AO, but couldn't win.

Let's not say Rafa didn't do his best. He was playing as good as he could in the final and was 3 good service games away from victory. Waw and Nishi went to 5 sets and did their best. Nishi is basically very brittle. What can Roger do about it? Novak and Andy hadn't been playing their best tennis so what's the point? And wasn't Rafa supposed to be Roger's insurmountable hurdle? I am saddened to see how fast people change their views regarding things.

2) Wawrinka at Indian Wells

I don't think Stan is a slouch when he gets to a final. He had defeated Nadal on the way.

3) Beating Kyrgios and Nadal at Miami.

It's time we take cognizance of Kyrgios' ability. He is the primary contender of today. He is improving every week. And he threw everything at Roger at Miami. So, you ought to give Roger credit for beating him. And again, beating Nadal in the final.

Sigh.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting statistics.

# of titles won by Rafa at MC and Barcelona = 20.

# of titles won by Rafa on ALL non-clay tourneys around the world = 20.