Barcelona Open 2018, ATP 500

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
4585867167_cb9b1a0ba7_b_barcelona-open-tennis.jpg
Photo by SuiteLife Barcelona (www.SuiteLife.com)

I had this perfect dream, This dream was me and you, I want all the world to see, A miracle sensation” – so begins the song “Barcelona” performed by Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballé. Based on the lyrics, it could have been penned by Rafael Nadal talking about his place in Barcelona tennis folklore.

The King of Clay will roll into the Catalan capital campaigning for a record eleventh title at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona.

Who else is playing?

The field has been boosted by the late entry of former world number one Novak Djokovic. Djokovic decided to enter the tournament following his the third round Monte Carlo exit at the hands of Dominic Thiem. The Serb will be seeded six at a tournament he last played in 2006 at the tender age of 18 years old.

Dominic Thiem arrives in Barcelona licking his wounds after being on the wrong end of a drubbing administered by Nadal in Monte Carlo. The Austrian won only 2 games during the match and was ushered out of the facilities in less than 68 minutes. Still, Thiem is one of only a few players to have beaten Nadal on the red dirt in the past.

Grigor Dimitrov, David Goffin, and Pablo Carreno Busta will also hope to make an impression.

Flying under the radar is Kei Nishikori. Nishikori is seeded a lowly 14th this year on the back of a series of injury timeouts that ravaged his ranking but he has won twice here before in 2014 and 2015.

rafael_nadal.jpg
pablo_carrena_busta.jpg
novak_djokovicl.jpg
kei_nishikori.jpg
grigor_dimitrov.jpg
david_goffin.jpg

More Than Tennis...

The tournament is more than just a sporting event in the Barcelona calendar, it’s also an esteemed social event that plays host to various activities and events around the village complex.

Fact Flash

Barcelona nearly became home to the Eiffel Tower. If everything had gone according to Gustave Eiffel’s initial plan, Paris’ most famous landmark would now be in Barcelona. Unfortunately, Spain rejected the architect’s project, deciding that it was too “radical” and did not fit the city’s aesthetics.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Really hard to picture Nadal and Novak not playing. I guess I'll embrace Mastoor's idea that it's a chance to help right the h2h.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Novak wins two matches, he plays Rafa (same situation as in MC, except that it will be at QF due to byes).

Assuming Kei loses in MC finals tomorrow, he may learn enough from that to give a better try here in R16 vs. Rafa.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Novak wins two matches, he plays Rafa (same situation as in MC, except that it will be at QF due to byes).

Assuming Kei loses in MC finals tomorrow, he may learn enough from that to give a better try here in R16 vs. Rafa.
While I won't assume anything, Rafa is the heavy favorite to win MC tomorrow. But as @brokenshoelace and I both said on the MC thread, Kei was the tougher opponent for Rafa in that final. And if Kei is progressing, post-injury, as he seems to be, he can give Rafa a hard time in Barcelona. Likewise, Djokovic has been all forward progress, I think, in his last matches. Same with Goffin. Not an easy path to the finals for Rafa, for sure. Wondering who will get out of the bottom half. It's the "easier" half, but the dangers are more on the same level, if you know what I mean.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Remember that Alexey Vatutin character that made the finals in Marrakesh a couple of weeks ago? He was beaten today in qualifying by Corentin Moutet, just turned 19 last week. Currently ranked #148, so not so low. Has he been on anyone else's radar? I never heard of him. #NextGen. @El Dude

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Now djokovic just needs to win 2 matches, so Nadal can beat him the clay court season is not complete without a good Novak whipping.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Does anyone know what happened to dirt baller by name Albert(?) Montanes. Did he retire?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's his name. Seems he retired after Barcelona last year.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Does anyone know what happened to dirt baller by name Albert(?) Montanes. Did he retire?
I even opened a thread about him, last spring when he announced his retirement. He was 36.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Remember that Alexey Vatutin character that made the finals in Marrakesh a couple of weeks ago? He was beaten today in qualifying by Corentin Moutet, just turned 19 last week. Currently ranked #148, so not so low. Has he been on anyone else's radar? I never heard of him. #NextGen. @El Dude
I will need to correct you, Vatutin was not on the final, just SF.
Moutet was mentioned many times in this forum, Scoop even opened a thread to hype him earlier this year.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Yeah, he's been mentioned. As herios said, scoop has a big hardon for him. He's a little guy, 5'9" I think.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, he's been mentioned. As herios said, scoop has a big hardon for him. He's a little guy, 5'9" I think.
That would be why I missed it. I tended to skip The Scoop. Yes, he's 5'9". He's young enough to grow a bit, to fill out for sure.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafael Nadal discusses the Barcelona Open (Interview)

Rafa, welcome back to Barcelona. You arrived here straight off the back of yet another win in Monte Carlo how much of a high are you one right now?

Well, thank you very much. Yes very happy with what happened last week of course. It’s been a great week and I enjoyed a lot the way that I played Monte Carlo and always playing in Monte Carlo is special and pleasure you know?

So, yeah – here I am at Barcelona again. It’s a tournament I know very well and I feel a little bit like home even if my home is Majorca. I am from this club and I enjoyed the fact that I can play here in front of my people.

You say you feel like home here you turn up here you get ready to play on a court which has your name. Is there much
more homely feeling anywhere else on the tour?

Well this part of the season all the events are so special for me now so I really enjoy playing every week and this week is not an exception and now having two weeks in a row at home – Barcelona and Madrid, this is a special two weeks back to back, so happy for everything and I’m just trying to to be ready for the tournament again.

…and of course here last year you did “La Decima”, what are your memories of winning a tenth title here and how great a feeling was it?

Yeah was fantastic now and was an unforgettable moment when I received a present on the on the centre court with a video after winning the tenth. Yeah was so special and just can say thanks to all the members here of the club. It made me feel like this last year – victory against a very tough opponent in the final. It was a great final …so yeah

A great moment and you’ve already had it last week and you’ve got it again this week. You turn up here needing to perform to keep hold of the number one spot. Is that extra motivation for you now?

No, for me that the extra motivation is justing playing the tournament. If I’m playing Monte Carlo, for me like a love story and here almost the same and yes… My real motivation is just playing Monte Carlo last week, now playing Barcelona. That’s a tournament that I had a lot of success that I really feel the passion for playing on it so that’s all.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tuesday Results

1st Round

Roberto Carballes Baena beat Andreas Haider-Maurer 6-2 6-4
Martin Klizan (SVK) beat Federico Delbonis (ARG) 6-3 6-7(5) 6-4
Bjorn Fratangelo (USA) beat Alexey Vatutin (RUS) 7-5 5-7 6-3
Guido Pella (ARG) beat Peter Gojowczyk (GER) 6-4 6-4
Jaume Munar (ESP) beat Joao Sousa (POR) 6-4 3-6 7-5
Gilles Simon (FRA) beat Ilya Ivashka (BLR) 6-2 6-3

2nd Round

12-Feliciano Lopez (ESP) beat Dusan Lajovic (SRB) 6-4 2-6 6-4
4-David Goffin (BEL) beat Marcel Granollers (ESP) 4-6 7-6(2) 6-2
8-Roberto Bautista Agut beat Ivo Karlovic (CRO) 6-7(4) 6-2 6-4
11-Adrian Mannarino (FRA) beat Pablo Cuevas (URU) 6-4 7-6(5)
Malek Jaziri (TUN) beat Ernesto Escobedo (USA) 6-4 6-3